Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo Tie Down Points

I have a few suggestions for some extra cargo tie down points for those who will be hauling with their TC.

My van was purchased with the cargo kit from the dealer. This consisted of a section of E-track along the sides,cage behind the seats, and D-rings mounted to the floor in the rear.

For my application, I needed more mounting points along the floor and sides to hold small machines from moving around.

After looking around the inside of the van, I found some spots supplied by the factory.

Just in front of the wheel wells under the rubber mat you will find torx head bolts monted in recessed holes.. These, I assume are for rear seat belts. I removed the bolts and then purchased longer 10mm X 1.5 ones and made extension sleeves to raise them to floor height. I then mounted D-rings I found at a local trailer supply store. I then used the bolts I took from those holes and mounted two more D-rings along the side pillars just behind the sliding doors. There are prethreaded 10mmX1.5 holes already there. You can pick from a few depending on the height you need them.

Looking inside from the rear doors, you will see a small bracket mounted on the drivers side just at the edge of the headliner. This can be used as a tie down hook. I trimmed the headliner at the same spot on the pass. side and found a threaded 10mmX1.5 hole there also. I installed a D-ring at that location.

For forward facing D-rings, I installed them in the sides of the floor extension just behind the seats. For these I had to drill holes.

I hope this information will be a help to those who need it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few suggestions for some extra cargo tie down points for those who will be hauling with their TC.

Thanks for the post and the pictures. If I would have caught it quicker it would kept me from posting an almost redundant question on this very topic.

Thanks again.

Den

• 3 months later...
Just in front of the wheel wells under the rubber mat you will find torx head bolts monted in recessed holes.. These, I assume are for rear seat belts.

Correct, those are the holes for seat belt mounting when you have the second row of seats.

I then used the bolts I took from those holes and mounted two more D-rings along the side pillars just behind the sliding doors. There are prethreaded 10mmX1.5 holes already there. You can pick from a few depending on the height you need them.

The upper most ones that you used are also used for the seat belt reel in the wagons

Looking inside from the rear doors, you will see a small bracket mounted on the drivers side just at the edge of the headliner. This can be used as a tie down hook. I trimmed the headliner at the same spot on the pass. side and found a threaded 10mmX1.5 hole there also.

Those holes and brackets are for tethering child safety seats installed in the second row of seats.

Since all the holes you used are mounting holes for seat belt components they should be strong enough for use as cargo tie-down spots.

• 6 months later...

I tried a trailer shop and they didn't have any single-hole D rings.

Anyone have the part number for the D ring that comes standard on the vehicle? Perhaps they can be ordered from the dealer.

Over here in the UK, the TC van only comes with the lashing rinks on the floor, but we do a full size ford van, that comes with lashing rings all over the van, and I managed to buy a bunch of 11 from someone on ebay who took them out to panel out the back.

These are quite weighty.

The ford part number stamped on the floor lashings, thats a big D shaped one, is CES7B 6C11V550A74 AB and the part number for the elongated D lashing ring is CES7B 6C11V550A74 BA.

Here is a link to the elongated D ring, on UK ebay, (these are aprox 4 inches long in total)

Lashing ring/tie down

Edited by Connect owner UK

• 8 years later...

I found four mounting holes on each side of the rear panels (above the wheel well) on a 2020 TC SWB Cargo Van.  Ordered eight 10mm bolts (20mm in length 1.5 thread) along with D-Rings and silicone washers:

UoacMenD-201779711.jpg.89e7f9d5ab9bbb32cda0bfe89bf60a45.jpg

Put bungie cords on them so they stand out.

ECq1nFhC-201796188.jpg.b0eb257925088507f1472f845f2174ad.jpg

In addition to the floor rings:

tAKUR5MX-201922630.jpg.6f3f6548b67e572e2b85b8efbcd1a15d.jpg

Edited by Amish Soldier

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2017 TC XLT LWB cargo. Doesn't have side rails but there are several threaded holes on either side in the rear cargo area. I just put a couple of 3/8" and 1/4" eye bolts in (screwed right in). Between the existing floor D rings and the added eye bolts, I find I've got enough tie-down points (in the rear at least) to hook many different things. Eye bolts aren't expensive and available at most hardware and big box home improvement stores.