Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello from Minnesota

CheesyRider

Hi all!  I'm thinking about getting a 2019 Titanium LWB eventually.  I really want adaptive cruise, so that rules out 2018 and older.  I'd love to get the diesel version, but I don't really trust modern diesels with their overly complicated emissions systems.  I'm looking forward to reviews upon its release. 

I don't think you will have a problem with diesel.  You won't have to do anything to the exhaust yourself.  Unless you don't trust dealers and insist on doing it yourself.  

Years ago, there was a lot of grumbling over onboard diagnostics. And admittedly, a lot of people were ripped off by the Check Engine light. Today, most do it yourself types have a scanner and know how to Google the code.

i can remember the first time my dad saw a car with an oil life monitor and little oil change indicator light.  He thought that every mechanic was going out of business because now only the dealership could change oil.

Explains why discount lube shops are in business.

i know a guy with a gas station. His, is the only station within 100 miles that still has kids pumping gas, checking under the hood, and cleaning windshields.  Why? Because they always manage to show the customer a dipstick low in the hashmarks, and dark oil.  Most oil will be dark within a short period of time in the engine.  That doesn't mean that you have to change it right at that moment.  And since you just turned off the engine, not all the oil has dropped back down into the pan yet.  

They always manage to sell extra quarts of oil, and schedule an oil change.  After all, they are putting free water into your washer fluid reservoir and topping off your tires with free air.  And you get a discount because the kid hooked you up by talking to the boss.

At $40 (minus 10% for you because you're a good customer who always tips the kid for pumping your gas), plus taxes, shop fees, and disposal/recycling, you get 4 quarts of 10W-40 conventional oil from a drum, and the worst filter sourced at the lowest cost.  

You drive out of there $52.78 poorer, with not enough oil, at the wrong weight, with a filter that couldn't clean the water in an aquarium.  You want the right weight oil? Your owners manual says synthetic blend? You engine needs 5.7 quarts?  You want an OEM quality equivalent filter? Sure. It all cost extra.  He charges my company credit card $125 for 6 quarts of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20, Motorcraft oil filter, Motorcraft air filter, too off all fluids, set correct tire pressure, rotate tires, inspect brakes, belts, hoses, testing all lights, clean the windows, vacuum the floor mat, and I get free coffee while my boss gets the bill.  If I upgrade to Mobil 1 oil & filter, my boss pays about $150. 

Just thinking that synthetic oil sells retail about $10 a quart, and a Mobil 1 brand filter is about $15; you could easily be $75 into a DIY oil change.  Is anyone still paying full retail at an auto parts store? I see the bottles of full synthetic oil @ $10 a quart, K&N filters @ $20,  when I drop off used oil.  Who pays that much as opposed to buying from Sam Walton or Amazon?

You paint a pretty good picture and the stealership isn't too different except you get elevator music with your coffee minus the kid who needs a haircut. But I'm reading this and I'm trying to figure out how I can get my BOSS to pay the bill for maintenance on MY van. Some guys have all the luck.

I know when to change my oil.  I tech people how to maintain motorcycles and outboards.  BUT, when it's time to get an oil change ... I take my vehicle to Jiffy Lube or some such place.

I explain to them what I want.  I explain to them that I know my vehicle better than they do, and I need nothing else.

I get an oil change and filter, nothing else.  I am willing to do $29.00 oil changes more often for the convenience of NOT dealing with the mess and disposal of DIY.

The boss pays for service on the company car. Not my personal car. 

i would never work anywhere that didn't give me a car. No way am I shelling out $30,000, to make a profit for someone else. After you bear the cost of the vehicle, plus maintenance and higher insurance because you use your personal car for work, you lost money. Even if they pay you $1 per mile. 

It sure is nice to not have to deal with the cleanup post oil change.  I hate cleaning all that spilled oil, because a little oil always spills as I am trying to revoke the old oil, then having to clean out the drain panS and funnels.  yes, I use 2 pans and 2 funnels. 1 pan under the drain plug, and 1 under the filter. 1 funnel for clean oil. 1 funnel for dirty oil. And with the Transit Connect, there is also the hassle of jacking up the car, and removing that bottom engine splash shield.  An hour goes into a 10 minute oil change. Then I need to change and shower. 

Nope.  They would go to those other jobs, and use their own car or truck for the company's benefit.  At the same time, they would also supply whatever they needed, such as special purpose tools, out of their own pocket.  Plenty of people do it.  That leaves the people like me to work at a place where the boss supplies the car.  

The building trades are a prime example.  A lot of guys buy their own tools, and use their own trucks.  Even when picking up supplies.  I see guys driving their own cars and trucks to pickup lumber, pipe, wire, et cetera.  I didn't want to do that.  Then there are companies that have their materials delivered from as distributor, so that their workers do not lose time shopping for supplies, nor do they have to haul it themselves.  And on the jobsite, you see trucks with the company logo marked on them, for whomever actually needs to leave the jobsite and/or travel for company business.  

But I get it.  UPS trucks and USPS Grumman LLV are owned by the employer.  The delivery drivers are employees with benefits.  FedEX routes are bidded on by individual subcontractors whom are responsible for the buying or leasing the truck or van with the FedEx logo.  They bear the entire cost of maintenance and fuel.  They get paid for volume of packages handled.  And since they are not employees, there is no 401K, medical, dental, vision, et cetera.

I know people in real estate, banking, and sales, who all turn in mileage logs showing about 200 miles a day, so that they can get an extra $50,000 in vehicle expense reimbursement.  None of them get hourly wages, overtime, holiday pay, or benefits.  It's either sell, or starve.  In those industries, they are driving $50,000 status symbol cars, not $25,000 Transit Connects.  Apparently, you don't make a good impression when you roll up to a multi-million dollar real estate transaction in a Hyundai/Kia.   You have to factor in that a car with a 50,000 mile warranty, is no longer valued as a new car after a year, if you actually have 50,000 miles, so you now have about $30, 000 worth of car, with a net loss of $20,000.  The warranty is gone.  One set of high performance tires.  New brakes.  10 oil changes.  Transmission flush.  Radiator coolant exchange.  New gear oil.  Even the drivers leather seat is worn.  Plus all the other unexpected little things that go wrong; like $1,000 to replace a rain sensor for your wipers.  And if you really are driving 1,000 miles a week, there's probably a couple of hundred dollars spent on fuel.  The insurance is higher because you are driving your vehicle that many miles for commercial purposes.  I'm not an accountant.  But I don't see a whole lot of fiscal gain.  Other than being able to drive an expensive car, and in your mind, thinking that you are getting it paid for.  

Makes you really consider the "ride share" economy.  How many Uber drivers factor in all costs?  Uber is the world's largest taxi company, and they don't own 1 car.  The drivers bear the entire cost, while the company takes their cut right off the top.   I can't justify a 12 hour shift in a Uber, versus a 12 hour shift behind the wheel of a yellow cab.  But millions of people all over the world disagree with me, and use their personal cars for someone else's taxi fleet.  All without benefits.  

But I can't see the police department saying, "we'll pay you $1 a mile for your car; it gets shot up or crashed, that's your problem".

How about during the course of employment?  A lot of people that I know, commute in a personal vehicle, but work with a company car.  Boss doesn't want the added liability of employees having accidents off duty.  Or worse, drinking and driving a company car.  Buddy of mine in the military got a DUI on the base, driving the government's Jeep.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mrtn said:

You killed a FOR SALE Plymouth?

Nope.  I killed a for sale Dodge.  I wasn't able to dodge it.

No one in my family was injured.  The kid who inexplicably pulled out in front of us only had minor cuts from crawling through broken glass.

I don't want to be the one to say it.  But I'll say it.  The Honda Odyssey will not come out of a collision the same way the Econoline did.  That E-Series van, with the body on frame construction, is tougher than most other cars on the road.

It looks like the van could be refurbished and back on the road for someone willing to spend more $$$ than the Kelley Blue Book says it is worth at low trade-in value.  

What were the numbers like?  $8K in damage, for a $3K vehicle?

Nice Honda, by the way.  

All of the people that I know who bought Honda, chose the Honda Pilot over the Odyssey.  But that may be an age factor.  None of the girls are willing to admit that they're "soccer moms" now.  

I bought a Transit Connect instead of a Honda Odyssey because of price.  The Honda Odyssey & Toyota Sienna are both really nice.  If pricing was not a factor......well, money is a factor.

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

It looks like the van could be refurbished and back on the road for someone willing to spend more $$$ than the Kelley Blue Book says it is worth at low trade-in value.  

What were the numbers like?  $8K in damage, for a $3K vehicle?

The estimate was nearly $10,000 to repair the van.  The damage is worse than it looks in the photos.  I got $5700 from the other guy's insurance company.

6 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Important part is that your family is safe. I worry about that with today's cars.  

With airbags, roll cage design and crumple zones, almost all modern cars are safer than previous versions.  With the exception of a few super cheap low cost models, survive-ability is MUCH higher than it's ever been.

I teach people how to work on motorcycles and outboards.

I am constantly hearing old bike enthusiast who still swear by points and carburetors.

I'm an "old guy" too.  59 before the end of this month.  But I am a firm believer in technology and the improvements it's made to our lives.  There are, of course, exceptions ... but the "good old days" can stay in the past.  I am all about the GOOD new days!

I make myself, everyday, believe in technology.  I can't mod a touchscreen phone with a rotary dial.  But my bike still has a carburetor with an air cooled engine; in today's world of fuel injection and liquid cooling.  

i understand the physics of two cars of equal sizes.  But I don't want an equal size.  I want to be in something bigger, heavier, with a full box frame, and old school police push bumpers that will crush the Smart car and Fiat with ease.