Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fuel filler security

With gas prices on the rise I am becoming concerned about not being able to lock or somehow secure my 2016 TC from potential gas thieves. My wife drives a Scion xB and it has an inside release for the fuel door...is there anything similar that can be installed on my TC?...other security methods?

The way the gas goes into the tank on the TC if they were going to steal it they would drill a hole in the tank and catch from the bottom. The only worry about the unlocked gas door would be some one putting foreign stuff in the tank.

12 hours ago, gwbasley said:

With gas prices on the rise I am becoming concerned about not being able to lock or somehow secure my 2016 TC from potential gas thieves. My wife drives a Scion xB and it has an inside release for the fuel door...is there anything similar that can be installed on my TC?...other security methods?

I would suggest you take a siphon hose, better yet, half a dozen different sized siphon hoses, and spend an hour or so trying to get ANY gas out of the filler pipe on your TC.  You will most assuredly rest easy about anyone stealing your gas after you  see just how impossible it is to do . . . . without drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank

. . . . and, it will give you second thoughts about the times you've forgotten to trip the inside release on your Scion and had to walk back around the car to do it  -  What a waste of time!  I know it would really tick me off.  The door latches on other cars aren't to prevent theft  -  They're to make someone think twice about putting anything into the tank . . . . not  to prevent them taking anything out

Don

Edited by Beta Don

In some jurisdictions, you are allowed to pay for police protection.  If you have the bucks to sheep out, there are cops that you could rent.

A pit bull could guard your fuel door. Or you can hire ex-military mercenaries. 

OK, I get it...if I was in NY they would just say "fugetaboudit".  Paid police, mercenaries and pit bulls  will all cost a pile, (the pit bull will leave one) and it all kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks guys...!

In all seriousness, is there a cap at all that will fit? With a cap you can lock it.

Its pointless to speculate why some dumbass engineer thought a topless gas tank was a good idea, but did they just get so many complaints that it was too much work to take the top off to put gas in the vehicle? Are people that frigging lazy today?  

I suspected someone was stealing gas a few years ago - put a locking gas cap on my pickup truck.

About 4 months later, a colleague at work asked me about it.

"SHHH! You, me & the guy stealing my gas are the only two people who know about that!"

GK

6 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Its not really about siphoning gas out, which has been very difficult to do since the 70s. Its about keeping foreign substances out.

Not messing with wrong women helps with that.

4 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Does sugar really work in a gas tank?  

How about Cola?...    

Every few years the kids riding through the neighborhood on their bikes turn into a bunch of teenage hoodlums walking the streets.  They got my 16' Flats Boat so bad that I had to abandon the built-in tank for a 6gal. portable that I could remove.  Hormones do strange things...I can remember riding around in my friend's convertible, shooting out......(probably shouldn't go there)...

Actually I was hoping that there was some accessory or retrofit that might discourage such activity, at least in my driveway.

Sugar ... no.  Since sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline ... pouring it into you tank is like pouring in sand.

Sugar dissolved in water, then poured into the tank MIGHT make a little mess in the engine, but even that doubtful.  The water will do more to shut down the engine than the sugar will.