Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014+ TC swap with 09-12 Escape 2.5L manual transmission?

Hi,

I have been looking into the Ford TC, but I would really like a manual transmission.  It seems the 2.5L duratec is shared with various Mazdas and Fords.  The 2009-2012 Escape does have a manual for the FWD and uses the same engine.

What do you think will be required to mate an Escape manual transmission to the TC engine?  Would I need to use the Escape's ECU and engine harness?

Thanks.

I've driven manual transmission cars all my life  -  Never owned an automatic until the TC and thought (like you) that I would much rather have a manual there too.  But, the Gen 2 six speed auto matched to the 2.5 is just a joy to drive.  You can shift it manually if you need to  -  I do that a lot when I need engine braking, but for normal driving, I'm sure the auto gets better mileage than I could do with a manual  -  The trans is very well matched to the engine's torque band and with half a dozen computer inputs factoring into the decision of when to shift, it's just as good, if not better than I could do with a manual

Since you can't buy one over here with a manual, I would suggest driving whatever you buy for a month or two (would probably take that long to put swap parts together anyway) and see if it doesn't grow on you.  After more than 50 years with only manual transmissions, I'm not pretty certain that I've bought my last one.  Our electric cars (Mitsubishi iMiEV's and 2017 Chevy Volt) don't need to shift at all and to me, that's the ideal scenario  -  A power plant that gives you excellent performance from a standing stop and can still run freeway speeds with the same ratio.  Best of both worlds!

Don

• 4 weeks later...

The '19 has a manual 6-speed or an automatic 8-speed. Also offers a diesel option.

I'm also a manual transmission fan, and a diesel fan, but I do not want a drive-train on its' first year of North American emissions standards. I'll jump on a 2021, however...

GK