Ford Transit Connect Forum

Central Floridian with a 2017 T.C. cargo

Mike Chell

Hello all y'all.  (y'all is singular, all y'all is plural),

Got my new 2017 Transit Connect Cargo van two weeks ago.  Looked all over for information about the open space below the cargo area floor.

Couldn't find anything, so I got into it myself.  I'll be posting links to my videos for the conversion.

Question ... does anyone know how to remove the nasty "anti-slip" finish from the cargo floor mat?

I've tried degreaser and mineral spirits ... neither worked.  I'll replace that crap with carpet if I can't clean it off.

• 1 month later...

I used to think I liked my T.C., mostly.  As stated in another thread, the storage in the "cab" sucks, but I was able to remedy that to an extent. 

But I have to say ... Wow!  With the past week's heat wave here in Central Florida, I gotta admit, I am NOT liking the A/C system!!!

The upper vents are at a bad angle.  I cannot aim them low enough to hit my torso.  They blow on my forearms when I am holding the wheel, which gets uncomfortable quickly.

There are no vents that allow for my upper legs and torso.  The vents at floor level are aimed straight down to the floor and don't really cool my legs well.

I am not sure if there's any way to correct this, so I'll have to "cope".   If I'd known this before, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Edited by Mike Chell

Theory is that thermodynamics works by heat rising and cooler air sinking down.  A/C vents aimed all the way up is suppose to direct that cool air towards the roofline.  So that you don't have that pocket of hot air at the top, and the denser cool air sinking is suppose to cool the interior evenly.  

That being said, the van's A/C sucks.  It's noisy.  And on triple digits, it doesn't cool enough.  I have the wagon version, with vents on the B-pillar and in body trim above the rear wheels.  What made a huge difference was tinted windows.  Limo tint.  Dark as possible.  Illegal in some jurisdictions.  Gives my van a creepy look: as if women and children aren't safe around me.  Everybody thinks that I've got duct tape, tarp, and a shovel in the back.  I sure wish I could get away with tinting the windshield.  In my state, I can't tint the front row windows or the windshield.    

45 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

Theory is that thermodynamics works by heat rising and cooler air sinking down.  A/C vents aimed all the way up is suppose to direct that cool air towards the roofline.  So that you don't have that pocket of hot air at the top, and the denser cool air sinking is suppose to cool the interior evenly.  

Since I've been running my TC Wagon with the seats removed or down almost continuously since purchase, I've noticed you can actually feel this thermodynamic effect in action. I often work nights so frequently am starting my commute in an oven that's been sitting in the Texas sun all day and cranking the AC. With the huge unobstructed interior volume, I've noticed you can actually feel the cold air from the rear "roll" to the front as you come to a stop after a while travelling at fairly constant speed. It's not often and seems to need just the right set of conditions to be felt, but when it happens it's a very definite slug of heavier cold air being carried forward by momentum as the vehicle slows. When it happens at one particular turn that is about a 120 degree sharp turn to the left, you can even feel it being stronger towards the passenger side as the slug of air moves to the outside radius of the turn..

I suppose if the A/C system were strong enough, the entire van would be cool, not just a large space with pockets of air at different temps.  It sounds like if you had a fan to circulate those pockets of cool air, then the A/C would be more effective.  

Vans are harder to cool and heat than small cars because there is more cubic volume.  The engineers should have equipped the van with something better than what it currently has.  

I see a lot of Mercedes Sprinter & Ford Transit full size vans in use as passenger vehicles.  A lot of them have rooftop A/C units.  Either the factories are sending out passenger vans with rooftop units, or the OEM A/C is so bad that the livery companies are installing them.

The A/C compressors are now so weak to meet the absurd emission requirements. Ever single drag has been eliminated. The old shape Connect has a perfectly adequate A/C, sold as ice and cools at dial number 2.