Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to remove rear quarter panels

Can anyone provide some guidance on how to remove the rear quarter panels so we can rework the flooring?  We haven’t done anything like this before and we just aren’t sure how they pop out and pop back in.  I apologize for being clueless, but some of the posts I’ve seen basically were “I removed the rear panels,” and the next picture was the van with the floor completely removed.  I have a 2017 TC LWB XLT Passenger version I am converting to the dog mobile.

@maenad - try the thread below for some help:

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/6563-removing-wheel-well-covers/?_fromLogin=1

There is another thread and someone posted some up close pics of the clips, which is very useful.

But I can't seem to find the thread. Perhaps another formumite can locate it.

I'm getting ready to remove these side panels myself so I wouldn't mind taking another look too before I go at it.

The clips look like this:

Ford Door Trim Panel Retainer With Sealer (Ford # W713297-S300) - Package of 16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CWLL84C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YsF3Ab0YX1DGX

Buy a set of plastic panel removal tools and you won't need spare clips.

Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Set of 5 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8GHB7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KwF3AbQ33YPG7

Removed the rear panels today so I can share some pics.

Using the trim removal tools that Don R suggests above is helpful. I bought this exact set from Amazon months ago probably from Don's previous recommendation. It's a worthwhile set to have at a minimal cost. I like have a set of plastic tools available for prying. Useful for a workshop as well.

As others have written before, start at the back end and pop open first and then it's very easy to pull on the rest of the panel to lever out. You can only use the removal tool with a few of the panel retainers when you start out because of the angle and available space, but that's really all that's required. You can probably get away without using this tool and just tug on it and it should pop off. Personal preference.

On the passenger side panel, one of the white retainers is missing.

P1060345.JPG

P1060346.JPG

P1060349.JPG

P1060352.JPG

P1060353.JPG

P1060356.JPG

Edited by windguy

48 minutes ago, windguy said:

Anyone know what the part is in the middle?

There is one on each side of the van and seems to have some adjuster on it.

Just curious.

Just guessing here based on apparent location from the photos and looking at the same area of my 2015 Wagon. But it looks like it's right at the back where the exterior track for the door meets the corner light assembly. It might be an adjuster to align one or the other to the body lines of the adjacent metal panel. Hard to tell from the photo without seeing how far back the black area goes. But if the metal screw moves in/out directly it could adjust the mounting for the track cover. If the screw is operating some mechanism under the humped part, and connects just a bit further to the rear, it could pull the corner trim.

1 hour ago, DonShockley said:

Just guessing here based on apparent location from the photos and looking at the same area of my 2015 Wagon. But it looks like it's right at the back where the exterior track for the door meets the corner light assembly. It might be an adjuster to align one or the other to the body lines of the adjacent metal panel. Hard to tell from the photo without seeing how far back the black area goes. But if the metal screw moves in/out directly it could adjust the mounting for the track cover. If the screw is operating some mechanism under the humped part, and connects just a bit further to the rear, it could pull the corner trim.

Thanks DonS. I was thinking the slider as well but then thought it might be too far back.

I'll look at it a little closer to see how it lines up with the door track.

• 4 months later...

I was looking a my TC again to try to help a guy on FB having problems with his door sticking in the latched open position. That middle piece is definitely the hold open latch. There is a wheel and a couple torx screw heads visible up inside the middle track that match that part very well. So the hex screw must be used to adjust the tension on the roller. Glad I found this info because as you can see I've not gotten much lube there when spraying the tracks. This will be another spot to hit with the better red lube spray I just started using.

20180913_105235.jpg

Edited by DonShockley