Ford Transit Connect Forum

Should I change transmission fluid

mgroeger

Thanks for all the info, I'm still a ways away at only 8,000 miles after 10 months of ownership.  I try and not drive it too much as it is intended for trips and hauling stuff like scooters, grandkids, appliances, etc.  I like the idea of a 25,000 mile interval.  Have to wonder if the it had a better transmission cooler that kept the fluid temps down if the fluid would not last longer.  

• 1 month later...

On 9/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, G B L said:

Here  the picture of the funnel, it will slide right into the vent hole , it makes the flush a breeze.image.png.a57fe7531fcf3531bbeac926f4b8dd7a.png

What did you use to modify your funnel with?  Why did you have to do that?  Was the end of the funnel too big to fit into the vent port opening?

It is heat shrink tubing and it makes the funnel long enough to put in and be able to not make a mess when you add fluid.

As a side note I used the  Valvoline  LV compatible fluid for the Second fluid change and it had the same dark color as the Mercon LV fluid. 

I am using this fluid    Triax Global Synthetic ATF - OEM Grade Compatible with Allison TES 295, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, VW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler +4, Ford Mercon V/LV,...

for the third change  I will let every one know how this fluid holds up.

The temp of this Transmission is above 175 F all the time and that may make the fluid work hard. The temp of the L480E in My 3500 Chev express is around 140-160 F . I Report in 22000 miles.

Trans fluid.png

On 9/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, PhotoAl said:

Have to wonder if the it had a better transmission cooler that kept the fluid temps down if the fluid would not last longer.  

In the case of this transmission, I believe the transmission fluid is being broken down by the internal actions within the transmission.  Not all automatic transmissions are the same.  This transmission appears to break down fluid and wear harder.  

I don't know why, but you just don't see people adding coolers to the 6F35.  6F35 has been in service long enough, and in enough vehicles, that if adding a cooler helps, everyone would be doing it.   There would probably be kits on the market.  

On 10/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, G B L said:

It is heat shrink tubing and it makes the funnel long enough to put in and be able to not make a mess when you add fluid.

How small is the hole?  The cap is pretty big.  My plan was to use one of those hoses that attach to the retail bottle.  Is the hole too small?

811AzpchNxL._SL1500_.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, G B L said:

Here  the picture of the funnel, it will slide right into the vent hole , it makes the flush a breeze.image.png.a57fe7531fcf3531bbeac926f4b8dd7a.png

I started buying ATF & motor oil in 6 gallon "bag in a box" enviro-packs.  Dilemma was transferring fluid from container to vehicle.  Bag-In-A-Box has a spout, so it's just like boxed wine.  My solution was to buy dispenser bottles.  Measurement marks on both sides for quarts and liters.  Flexible pour spout.  I attach a 3/4" ID, 1" OD length of vinyl tubing to the end of the spout.  This allows me to insert the tube into the engine or transmission.  No more funnels.  I found these items on Amazon for a significantly lower price than my local stores.  

Lisle 19752 Red Oil Dispenser - 6 Quart Capacity

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ETVOP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3/4" ID Low Pressure Clear Flexible PVC Tubing 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00LX6MIV4/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

61o%2BQQfTXfL._SL1500_.jpg

419oeelOAVL.jpg