Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fusion Wheels

BBJ

The Tpms Light will come on if the pressure is lower than 36 lbs.. If you use different wheels with different sensors you need make the TC recognize them.

If I run more than the 36Psi in the front the center of the tire wears more rapidly than the outside.  I Run the rear at 40 and the tires wear well and even.

10 hours ago, WillMartin said:

Question for people who swapped out wheels and tire:  what tires did you use?  I just looked at the recommended tire pressures for my van and it says 36 psi front 49 (!) psi rear.  What pressures are you using on the new tires?

I used to work for Michelin and the suggest you run the recommended tire pressure per the door placard, not what's stated on the tires. 

Don yes that's more than likely the case. The tires that came on these Fusion wheels are 235/55/R17, so going from what came on here from the factory 215/55R16, it's off 5mph. Once these are worn out, I'll go with 215/50R17.

23 hours ago, doitdub said:

Don yes that's more than likely the case. The tires that came on these Fusion wheels are 235/55/R17, so going from what came on here from the factory 215/55R16, it's off 5mph. Once these are worn out, I'll go with 215/50R17.

I'll probably put 215/60R16 tires on the wheels, since that's about as close to the stock diameter as possible without going smaller.  The speedo is already a little optimistic.  As far as the pressure sensors, I have never had a vehicle with those before.  How do they mount?  I don't see any secondary holes in the Focus wheels.  Are they part of the valve assembly?  Also, can the existing sensors be reused at all, or are they part of the existing wheel in a way that makes that impossible?

Edited by WillMartin

46 minutes ago, WillMartin said:

I'll probably put 215/60R16 tires on the wheels, since that's about as close to the stock diameter as possible without going smaller.  The speedo is already a little optimistic.  As far as the pressure sensors, I have never had a vehicle with those before.  How do they mount?  I don't see any secondary holes in the Focus wheels.  Are they part of the valve assembly?  Also, can the existing sensors be reused at all, or are they part of the existing wheel in a way that makes that impossible?

They are part of the valve assembly. I cannot see a reason for not re-using ones the existing ones. They are not particularly cheap at a tire shop.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:32 AM, doitdub said:

No I did not.

These are on your OEM wheels.  Or you can buy a new set.  Either way, the instructions are in your owners manual on how to reset them.  You can buy them from your dealership.  Or source them online.  Or buy them from a local auto parts store.  Pricing will vary.  Unless you have your own tire machine, you will need to have a shop take the tire off the wheel, and install it for you.  

Image result for transit connect tpms

8 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

These are on your OEM wheels.  Or you can buy a new set.  Either way, the instructions are in your owners manual on how to reset them.  You can buy them from your dealership.  Or source them online.  Or buy them from a local auto parts store.  Pricing will vary.  Unless you have your own tire machine, you will need to have a shop take the tire off the wheel, and install it for you.  

Image result for transit connect tpms

I just looked at the procedure in the manual and what a PITA. Maybe I'll do it when I have a half day to dedicate to it. I think for the time being I'd just as soon look at the warning light. Christ almighty, who thinks this crap up?

It all looks and sounds pretty straight forward.  I looked at the date codes on the sidewalls just for grins.  Turns out my tires were new in 2015.  Gotta love government maintenance.  I guess the tires were five years old, and Monterrey County decided that the van needed new tires, whether they had tread left or not.  It may be a year or two before I mount the new wheels and get new tires, mostly because I'm too much of a cheapskate to throw away what look like practically brand new tires.  Turns out P215/60R16 is a slightly unusual tire size, especially with close to correct load and pressure ratings.

4 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I just looked at the procedure in the manual and what a PITA. Maybe I'll do it when I have a half day to dedicate to it. I think for the time being I'd just as soon look at the warning light. Christ almighty, who thinks this crap up?

At least it can be done by the owner and at home with no expensive test equipment  -  Not all cars make it so simple to do

I put a new set of wider wheels and tires on one of our electric Mitsubishi's  -  Would you believe it came with a 145/65R15 on a 4 inch wide wheel on the front??  I bought new TPMS sensors for the new wheels and the guy at the tire store used his $1800 TPMS tool to try to get my car to 'learn' the new sensors after he installed them.  Over the period of a week, he tried three different times.  Since it never did work, he didn't charge me anything

After many e-mails and 6 or 7 phone calls with the company that sold me the sensors on Amazon, I finally got them to research a local shop and send me there to get the car programmed to work with the sensors  -  It could only be done with a specific brand of equipment, or so they said, so they sent me to a Goodyear shop who said they had that brand.  The process should take less than 10 minutes, but it was an hour before I got my car back  -  They tried the 'correct' equipment several times and then another one they had a couple times and finally accomplished the task with a device that had only been used successfully on one other car.  Mitsubishi REALLY wants you to go to the dealer for this . . . . at a half hour labor charge  -  Usually about $75.  Really an expensive headache for those changing to winter wheels/tires and back every year . . . . there goes $150 you shouldn't be forced to spend

Take may word for it, relearning sensors on a TC is a piece of cake . . . . comparatively speaking anyway

Don

36 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

Take may word for it, relearning sensors on a TC is a piece of cake . . . . comparatively speaking anyway

Don

Yeah Don, I think I need to get a big old ball peen hammer, smash my left hand with it so I can learn to appreciate the headache this kind of unnecessary nonsense gives me.?

And my wife wonders why I yell at the TV every time a car commercial comes on......

1 hour ago, WillMartin said:

It all looks and sounds pretty straight forward.  I looked at the date codes on the sidewalls just for grins.  Turns out my tires were new in 2015.  Gotta love government maintenance.  I guess the tires were five years old, and Monterrey County decided that the van needed new tires, whether they had tread left or not.  It may be a year or two before I mount the new wheels and get new tires, mostly because I'm too much of a cheapskate to throw away what look like practically brand new tires.  Turns out P215/60R16 is a slightly unusual tire size, especially with close to correct load and pressure ratings.

Actually at one time 215/60r16 was a fairly popular stock size, but I think that time has come and gone. Don't know if I'm a cheapskate or not (maybe so), but I will also run NOS tires in a heartbeat. To get the size that I might be looking for there can sometimes be no other alternative.

2 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Actually at one time 215/60r16 was a fairly popular stock size, but I think that time has come and gone. Don't know if I'm a cheapskate or not (maybe so), but I will also run NOS tires in a heartbeat. To get the size that I might be looking for there can sometimes be no other alternative.

Especially with those sexy white letters.

5 hours ago, WillMartin said:

Especially with those sexy white letters.

Can't get those sexy white letters in a 16, at least not that will fit under the van. That is why I make my own and I have become fairly good at it I think. I'm certainly a dinosaur, but I'm a sexy dinosaur.

• 4 weeks later...

There’s a set of winter tires and aftermarket rims that were previously installed on a Fusion that are for sale on Craigslist locally. They’re size 225/55 R17, with an offset of 50mm. I know these are going to be larger than stock, but would it be in an acceptable range to use?

They’re selling for $300 for the rims and tires and that seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I don’t really have any experience with winter tires. Here’s a link to the post and a couple pictures. Do they look like they’re in decent shape?

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/wto/d/hankookr17-winter-icept-evo/6753332981.html

5423D171-AB32-4CA4-A451-DFE1266FDE8E.jpeg

7EF56937-87C7-4034-BAC4-0280701E4200.jpeg

57BD7AD0-F9E0-4EFE-831D-2890EF638370.jpeg

They’re on their last leg. The wear marks are almost out so you’ll get one winter out of them, after that you can use them for summer.

Too expensive for the condition, IMHO. There’s another issue: too wide for snow. You’ll want to keep as close to the minimum factory width as possible (205 mm).

Exactly, got a set of brand new looking (zero scratches) Mazda 6 OEM wheels with Continental snow tires with 7-8 mm of tread left for €300. Sold the tires so ended up with getting a set of 17" alloys in excellent condition for €120. 

s-l400.jpg

Edited by mrtn