Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fusion Wheels

BBJ

I'm already searching for summer rims (alloy) for the FTCW XL I'm getting this summer. I'll put the snows on the stock steelies & get rims that don't scream "BASE MODEL" next spring.

I don't want to go low-profile though, due to the road conditions in Quebec. (I drove 9 km without a pot-hole & had to refresh the GPS to make sure I was still near home...)

GK

I went classic. You could call them base modelish, but I wanted to make sure they're strong and from a reputable manufacturer as I sometimes ride fully loaded and a thin spoke wheel may fail a pothole, so I ditched the original idea to get a fancy replica wheel.

getImageFromBinaryFiled?picid=620&fld=Im

• 4 months later...

BBJ, I totally dig those wheels with the GT stripes.:thumbsup:  I think anything (well, almost anything) you can do to make a white TC different is a plus.  Here in Charleston, SC we have more white cargo vans than I have ever seen.  Ha ha, now i'm one of them! 

18 minutes ago, davidparker said:

BBJ, I totally dig those wheels with the GT stripes.:thumbsup:  I think anything (well, almost anything) you can do to make a white TC different is a plus.  Here in Charleston, SC we have more white cargo vans than I have ever seen.  Ha ha, now i'm one of them! 

A nice little throwback to the old Shelby GTs. Nice.

1967-shelby-mustang-gt500-fastback-rare-1.jpg

On 3/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, BBJ said:

Finally got some wheels for the TC. 17x7.5 Ford Fusion with Bridgestone Potenza 215/50 tires.

An extra inch isn't much bigger for a wheel.  But that could make all the difference, depending on what the offset and backspacing is.  Do the tires rub when turning?  I don't think the handling or turn radius would be noticeable with 1" difference in wheel width......

The 17x7.5 Fusion wheels should have a +55 offset in effect pushing the inside edge of the wheel 18mm closer to the suspension. If the wheel clears the brakes okay (and it should) this shouldn't be an issue. The scrub radius will go -6mm which might be noticeable but I kind of doubt it. The tire itself really doesn't change much with 215/50r17 being only .2" larger in diameter than 215/55R16 and the cross section will barely increase due to the increased wheel width. A good setup I'd say.

More wheel with a little less tire.  Less sidewall.  Perhaps a little bit more grip on the road.  Maybe better handling.  Maybe a stiffer ride.  But it shouldn't really be that noticeable unless you have a back back.  I haven't noticed anyone on the forum mention suspension modifications.  Nobody has tried different shocks, springs, and struts.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have Fusion wheels waiting for summer tires for next spring.  Do you need to change anything to use them on a TC?  Different lug nuts or spacers or anything? 

Hub centric or lug centric the same? 

6 hours ago, MLB said:

I also have Fusion wheels waiting for summer tires for next spring.  Do you need to change anything to use them on a TC?  Different lug nuts or spacers or anything? 

Hub centric or lug centric the same? 

That could depend on what year it is. 2012 and older I think used a different bolt pattern and hub bore. Try this, there is a TON of info on there.

www.wheel-size.com

• 3 weeks later...

Also, I'm thinking about putting 2012/2013 Focus wheels on my TC.  I assume they will fit.  Actually, I'm confused.  Wheel-size.com says the TC is 5x108.  They say Fusion and Focus are 5x114.3.  So, do you need adapters or do they fit?  I'm officially confused now.

Edited by WillMartin

11 hours ago, WillMartin said:

Also, I'm thinking about putting 2012/2013 Focus wheels on my TC.  I assume they will fit.  Actually, I'm confused.  Wheel-size.com says the TC is 5x108.  They say Fusion and Focus are 5x114.3.  So, do you need adapters or do they fit?  I'm officially confused now.

Are you sure you have the right year? It matters. And Fusion is a little bit more limited if I recall.

image.thumb.png.3ee5d0f301d652e4fc453ca8a128aa43.png

I just bought four used Focus wheels from Ebay.  $208 for the set seems like a decent risk to take.  If they don't fit for some reason, I'll just sell them.

Then windows for the sides and maybe GT stripes.  I really like the way those convert a plain white van into a far better looking machine without painting the whole body.  I just don't know what it would look like on a first gen yet.

Edited by WillMartin

20 hours ago, WillMartin said:

I just bought four used Focus wheels from Ebay.  $208 for the set seems like a decent risk to take.  If they don't fit for some reason, I'll just sell them.

Then windows for the sides and maybe GT stripes.  I really like the way those convert a plain white van into a far better looking machine without painting the whole body.  I just don't know what it would look like on a first gen yet.

If they are Focus wheels and have five lugs you should be just fine. Went back and checked and cannot see anywhere for Focus wheels at 5x114.3. Fusion wheels on the other hand is a different matter. I'm running 2013 Focus wheels right now and got a really sweet deal because the guy bought them FOR a Fusion only to find they didn't fit. Here's what mine look like. These are 16s.

image.png.bab0dd8a64a6f06daa82a5ae56cc635c.png

And I think the stripes would look even BETTER on the Gen I but I'm biased towards the 2013 model. I kind of wish I had the 2013 instead of 2016 but with the 2.5l and the 6 speed tranny.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL
add comment

3 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

If they are Focus wheels and have five lugs you should be just fine. Went back and checked and cannot see anywhere for Focus wheels at 5x114.3. Fusion wheels on the other hand is a different matter. I'm running 2013 Focus wheels right now and got a really sweet deal because the guy bought them FOR a Fusion only to find they didn't fit. Here's what mine look like. These are 16s.

image.png.bab0dd8a64a6f06daa82a5ae56cc635c.png

And I think the stripes would look even BETTER on the Gen I but I'm biased towards the 2013 model. I kind of wish I had the 2013 instead of 2016 but with the 2.5l and the 6 speed tranny.

They are five lug Focus wheels, and they look identical to those as far as I can tell from ratty eBay photos.  I don't know what I was looking at - probably just Fusion wheels and got fouled up with a brain cramp.  They are 16x7 like yours, which means they ought to work just fine.  They are a little scuffed, but that's not a huge issue for me.  At root, it's a hauler, not a show car. 

I have been thinking about how to lay out stripes and then how to accomplish them.  I'll probably take it to a real car painters, since I want it to look better than I'm likely to achieve in the driveway with rattle cans or tape.  That means it won't happen until sometime next year, after it gets side door windows and a backup camera.  The bike and my musical instruments are supposed to be the mistress, not the van.  What am I thinking!

9 hours ago, WillMartin said:

I have been thinking about how to lay out stripes and then how to accomplish them.  I'll probably take it to a real car painters, since I want it to look better than I'm likely to achieve in the driveway with rattle cans or tape.  That means it won't happen until sometime next year, after it gets side door windows and a backup camera.  The bike and my musical instruments are supposed to be the mistress, not the van.  What am I thinking!

Have you considered vinyl stripes?  Same material used for NASCAR car wraps.  A lot easier to apply, cheaper, and can be removed later.   And if you don't want to do it yourself, you can probably find a "wrapper" near you.

https://www.rvinyl.com/racing-stripes

9 hours ago, davidparker said:

Have you considered vinyl stripes?  Same material used for NASCAR car wraps.  A lot easier to apply, cheaper, and can be removed later.   And if you don't want to do it yourself, you can probably find a "wrapper" near you.

https://www.rvinyl.com/racing-stripes

You can get similar ones (and a LOT cheaper) straight off Amazon. I don't have the link but saw them yesterday while loving the Google. Don't really know anything about them personally, but they were advertising that you could also take them right back off without damaging the paint. I think I just Googled "racing stripes".

On 10/24/2018 at 4:48 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

The body style was "updated".  Of course, aesthetics is all a matter of personal opinion.  The 1st generation with the high roofline could have simply been stretched for a longer wheelbase with 7 passenger seating.  I would have bought a longer version of the 1st generation body.   For a lot of us, the body could have been elongated by a few more inches.  Lots of people would love to have a 4X8 interior to accommodate building materials.  I would love to see a truck with a 10' box, or van w/ 10', for loading pipe in 10' lengths.  Strap enough pipe onto the rack of  pickup, and you will notice the high center of gravity.  Nothing like 2,000' of pipe leaning into a turn.

Installed some 17" '14 Fusion wheels on my '14 LWB Titanium (had OE 16" previously) yesterday and I'm diggin it. No issues with ride quality, although my speedometer is now off by (shows I'm going 5mph less than I actually am) and after a day of driving, my TPMS light came on for bit.

20181025_162547.jpg

The optional alloy wheels which came stock on '14 TC's were 17's and not  16 like the steelies, so if you used the factory tire size (215/50R17) your speedometer would still be correct  -  Less than 0.5 mph difference at 60

Don

Edited by Beta Don