Ford Transit Connect Forum

2016 found seam leak , How serious of an issue ?

Bart Luther

Changed the oil on my 2016 transit connect for the second time today .I have noticed the transmission seam leak is more prevalent. I can't get the fill cap out to check the transmission fluid level (why did ford put this in such a hard place to get to and no dipstick? ) van is still under warranty. Would you take in to have the service department Check this out if it where your van ? If they made this easier I would just empty and refill myself. I hate taking my van in for service for routine maintenance I have to work all week and it is very inconvenient for me, but I also don't want to run my transmission low on tranny fluid . Is there a easier way to check the fluid other than that inspection plug that I can't hardly get at and definitely can't brake loose .should this seem leak be covered under warranty?

SEEM Leak.jpg

Seem leak 2 .jpg

Seem leak 3.jpg

14 hours ago, Bart Luther said:

Changed the oil on my 2016 transit connect for the second time today .I have noticed the transmission seam leak is more prevalent. I can't get the fill cap out to check the transmission fluid level (why did ford put this in such a hard place to get to and no dipstick? ) van is still under warranty. Would you take in to have the service department Check this out if it where your van ? 

For sure I would take it in  -  This is a warranty issue

The 'fill cap' is actually the vent and you can't use that to check the level  -  There is a plug on the side of the trans where you check the level  -  The engine must be running and the van should be level.  You remove the plug (while it's running) and slowly add fluid to the vent cap until it begins to trickle out of the 'check plug' . . . . put the plug in, replace the vent and you're done.  Ford made it as hard as they could to make sure guys like me and you who HATE going to the dealer would probably have to for any transmission service.  Since yours is leaking trans fluid UNDER WARRANTY, let them mess with it!!

Don

Thanks for the advice all . I will definitely make time to bring my van to the( out of my way) dealership to have them check it out and hopefully fix ,while it is still under warranty. Good advice I appreciate it!  My question is...... For in the future I want to be able to keep an eye on my fluid level . While under my van I noticed what I believe to be the inspection port. A plug that fits a big allen wrench .I tried to break it loose but the spot was so tight to get to  I couldn't get enough leverage on the wrench to break the cover loose , what's the trick ? And where is the vent ? Next time I am down there I will look for it so I know where it is . Thanks again for all the tips ,tricks and advice! 

That's not the check plug  -  Don't try taking that one out!

What you need to know is in this thread  -  

Click on the '18 replies' to see the rest of the thread  -  GBL posted some excellent pictures farther down and I made use of them when I switched mine to full synthetic ATF. 

There are other threads here on the forum about trans seam leaks.  Seems to be a pretty common problem, so you're not alone.  I think a proper fix is going to be very difficult and expensive (for the dealer to do) so don't be surprised if they try telling you not to worry about it

If it was me, I'd get really mad until they fixed it though  -  With a 'lifetime service interval' transmission where it is very difficult to check the fluid level (no dipstick) and also very difficult to add fluid to (wait until you check out the little yellow vent/fill cap which is in an almost impossible location to get to) and then on top of ALL that, these transmissions are developing a reputation of not lasting 100,000 miles (maybe because they weep transmission fluid and the owner can't check or fill it?) then I would want to MAKE SURE mine wasn't losing fluid  -  This is NOT NORMAL for a new vehicle and you shouldn't have to accept it, nor should you be told it's 'normal' or 'it won't hurt anything'  -  I'd call BS on all that!

I would make them fix it and if they balk, I would escalate my complaint upwards until I got to talk to the CEO at Ford!!!

Don 

Edited by Beta Don

They don't claim it is

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection

Though why they would use anything that isn't fully synthetic  in a 'maintenance free' transmission is a real mystery

Don

Watch out what you wish for, If you have a good Trans that shifts well a very small oil weep could turn into a major headache if the fix is not carried out well.

mrtn soon the hood will be welded closed and the display will just tell you it is time for a new car!!