Ford Transit Connect Forum

Performance - Uphill and Loaded Down

I'd like to get a 2014 to 2016 TC LWB wagon for our family's next vehicle.  But, I'm a little worried about the engine being powerful enough.

I've ridden in an early 90's 4-cylinder Ford Ranger on freeways through the mountains of West Virginia, and that thing just could not keep its speed going uphill.  It had a cap on the back and was probably 2/3 full of stuff at the time, and would drop from 65 or 70 down to 45 or 50 on long uphill climbs.  Had to turn the flashers on and we had semi trucks passing us.

Does anyone have experience driving a loaded TC uphill at 60 to 70 mph?  Is the 4-cylinder able to keep up its speed when needed?

Also, I noticed that the GVWR is only something like 1,000 to 1,200 pounds above the curb weight for the LWB version with rear seats.  Does Ford not realize that 5 American adults can easily get to 1,000 lb?  Am I reading it right that if we had all 7 seats filled with people it really can't handle any other weight?

Thanks!

All vehicles have a gross weight rating. It is one of the specifications you need to consider when deciding, for example, between a small van and a full sized van. Seven fatties might weigh close to 1600 pounds. On the other hand, a petite soccer mom hauling 6 little kids might only weigh 500-600 pounds. Different missions may require different vehicles.

I don't have any problem maintaining the speed limit on any hill towing a 1500 pound trailer

IMO, the 2.5L mated to the 6 speed automatic is an ideal combination with plenty of power yet it gets me 28+ mpg on the highway

Don

Edited by Beta Don

• 5 months later...

While it's likely that few people will read this, we did go ahead and get a LWB 2014 Transit Connect Wagon.  We've been happy with it -- it's big enough for our family of two adults, two kids, and a dog, it has good gas mileage, and the power is good too.  We've driven it with every seat filled and a car-top carrier to hold luggage for an overnight trip, and didn't have any problems accelerating or keeping pace on the freeway.  We've driven it down country roads with a kayak strapped to the roof rack, and didn't have any problems.  

Ours does not have a tow rack but I don't really feel comfortable towing something on a regular basis with a 4-cylinder.  As much as I have confidence that the van can get itself and the stuff in it where we need to go, I wouldn't want to tax it with a trailer as well.  

Also I recently looked up the old Ford Ranger that was mentioned in the original post, and it only had like 100 HP.  Come on Ford, why would you put that in any kind of a truck?  This van gets 169 HP and probably has a much better transmission as well, and the difference is night and day.

Oh, and this is replacing a 2007 GM SUV that had some nice luxuries but was terrible in terms of reliability.  Also really happy with the gas mileage and amount of space in this one compared to the 3-row crossover.

Edited by Ohioan

12 hours ago, Ohioan said:

Also I recently looked up the old Ford Ranger that was mentioned in the original post, and it only had like 100 HP.  

Oh, and this is replacing a 2007 GM SUV that had some nice luxuries but was terrible in terms of reliability. 

Let's say that you bought that GM about 10 years ago, and you bought that Ranger 10 years before that........technology has changed a lot in 20 years.  The last time that I owned anything 4 cylinders was back when little 4 cylinder engines had no power......70's, 80's, 90's vintage 4 cylinder cars were terribly underpowered in comparison to today's technology.  Think bac to that 1st Mustang, with a 2.8L inline 6, and 105 HP.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, kenryan said:

Seven fatties might weigh close to 1600 pounds. On the other hand, a petite soccer mom hauling 6 little kids might only weigh 500-600 pounds.

All depends on what your fatties weigh, and how fat your soccer mom is.  

I've had different sized people in the van, and haven't had any problems yet.  But none of my passengers weighed over 250 lbs.  If you have a load of 7, 300 pounders, then that adds up to 2,100 pounds.  

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2018 at 3:09 PM, mrtn said:

Four fullsize Americans? Nope. Look at something at least double the engine size.

Remember, this van was designed, tested, vetted and built In France,

4 full size french people not a problem,

WE Americans as a whole love to eat, In excess LOL

I have no problem tucking in with the big trucks while climbing the Cumberland gap ?

293993735_TransitConnectCargo.png.2dc2d83f54170be8dda01250c29d2d8b.png

On 2/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, Ohioan said:

Does anyone have experience driving a loaded TC uphill at 60 to 70 mph?  Is the 4-cylinder able to keep up its speed when needed?

It works fine!

Edited by G B L

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, G B L said:

293993735_TransitConnectCargo.png.2dc2d83f54170be8dda01250c29d2d8b.png

It works fine!

When I was hauling 800 ish pounds on the back, or even a thousand I'd use manual shift, If I remember right 4th gear @ 65-70 mph got me up in the power curve sweet spot.

My 2.5 twin cam always has loved to rev. I'm comfortable pulling 4,500- 5,000 rpms,, some people are not I would think...

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2019 at 2:48 PM, Beta Don said:

Don't know about the Gen 1 version, but the Gen2's were made in Spain

Don

I believe my Gen 1 was made in Turkey.

It is neither as refined or as powerful as a Gen 2, but it does just fine over mountain passes and pretty much anything else I do with it so far.

Edited by WillMartin