Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to remove plastic panel on sliding door?

strobz

Looking to install an aftermarket window. I can't find a details diagram or instructions how to install it since I don't believe any cutting is needed since you're able to remove the plastic panel. Has anyone dabbled in this?

• 1 month later...

• 2 years later...

Any luck with removing the plastic panel?  All the directions we've found assume the panel is metal.  Not our situation.

We want to install a half slider window.  What window did you purchase and from where?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, K&T said:

Any luck with removing the plastic panel?  All the directions we've found assume the panel is metal.  Not our situation.

We want to install a half slider window.  What window did you purchase and from where?

Thanks.

I have the AMA sliding window from Vans Windows Direct. You can see my panel removal and the installation here on page 2;

• 4 weeks later...

They sell everything you need including a wire cutting tool to cut the old adhesive on the panel.  You still have to cut out the inner part of the steel where the window goes. The glass will cover the whole area but some will be over remaining metal on the door all around.  That's where the adhesive goes.

My tools and supplies from Van direct arrive today, but no window. ? 

Edited by MLB

On 10/19/2020 at 5:24 PM, STAGEO said:

I tried and failed to cut the adhesive on my sliding door panel, and ultimately hired Safelite to do the job and they did a great job. It's a pain in the rear without the right tools and you might do more damage than good.

How much did Safelite charge? Did you supply the window or did they source it?

3 minutes ago, STAGEO said:

$125 for the job and I supplied the glass.

Thanks. I might go for that myself. I could probably do it myself but it would take me three days and I’d be sure to break something. 

Only one side?
Where did you buy the window itself from?

Edited by bvz2000

I only did the passenger side, and purchased the glass from Winner Ford. If I'm being honest, I probably paid more all in than I should have, but if it means being able to save myself from a blind-spot accident so be it. Also auto-glass places really want to supply the full-tint version and I wanted non tint because my rear windows aren't tinted and I wanted it to look factory. I can't stand clear and tint on a car, it looks uneven.

van2.png

Edited by STAGEO
Pic related.

1 minute ago, STAGEO said:

I only did the passenger side, and purchased the glass from Winner Ford. If I'm being honest, I probably paid more all in than I should have, but if it means being able to save myself from a blind-spot accident so be it. Also auto-glass places really want to supply the full-tint version and I wanted non tint because my rear windows aren't tinted and I wanted it to look factory. I can't stand clear and tint on a car, it looks uneven.

I’m with you on that one. Especially the blind spot.  Thanks. I think the $125 is probably worth it for me. I have plenty that I need to get done and this is one area that I just have no idea how to even get started. I might see if they will let me watch them do the work. Probably not, but worth asking. Thanks again. 

5 minutes ago, bvz2000 said:

I’m with you on that one. Especially the blind spot.  Thanks. I think the $125 is probably worth it for me. I have plenty that I need to get done and this is one area that I just have no idea how to even get started. I might see if they will let me watch them do the work. Probably not, but worth asking. Thanks again. 

You bet. And I asked how they did it, and they were more than willing to let me in on it. Apparently they have an automatic machine that does it in no time flat. I dropped it off at 9 a.m. and drove away at around noon. Be sure to keep the plastic panel to either sell on the secondary market or use as a patch in case the window gets broken for some reason.

Edited by STAGEO

28 minutes ago, STAGEO said:

You bet. And I asked how they did it, and they were more than willing to let me in on it. Apparently they have an automatic machine that does it in no time flat. I dropped it off at 9 a.m. and drove away at around noon. Be sure to keep the plastic panel to either sell on the secondary market or use as a patch in case the window gets broken for some reason.

Thanks again. And good  idea on keeping that panel.