Ford Transit Connect Forum

Reverse camera wiring query

dave750

Hi guys, first of all I would like to apologise if this question has been asked previously, I have searched. I have the basic 2010 T200 75ps model Ford Transit Connect. I urgently needed a reverse camera for the safety of my young children and so have purchased a camera and standalone monitor kit of which the monitor has a suction cup to attach to the windshield. The camera simply replaces the right hand side number plate light, there are two wires from the camera that connect to the old number plate lighting wires. Here is my first question.

1) I have noticed on the connector for the right number plate light there are two power wires, does it matter which one I connect to please

I only want the camera and monitor to power up when reverse gear is selected. The are two wires on the camera which need connecting to the reverse light positive and negative (of which I believe the positive wire is green/black) if someone can confirm that would be great.

I have connected the video cable which routes to the front of the van and connects to the adapter on the monitor, but this is where I am stumped. The standalone monitor requires a positive 12v feed and a ground. If I only want the camera to activate when reverse gear is selected where can I connect the positive wire to please. Would appreciate any advice greatly                    

Edited by dave750

I installed my LCD to the overhead shelf and ran the power from the map light assy. The screen turns on when the reverse gear is selected and the camera start sending the picture. It's off when there's no feed.

You connect the camera to the reverse light wire. The instructions should be in the box.

Edited by mrtn

Many thanks mrtn, the instructions were good until it got to the monitor and then it just said there is a positive and negative but no inference where to take the power from. I will run the power also from the map light, thank you. Will let you know if all goes okay.

Hi there, if I was to connect to the map reading light that would mean there would be power to the monitor all the time would it not. Was thinking it may be best just to have the monitor come on when reverse is selected. What are your thoughts

2 hours ago, dave750 said:

Hi there, if I was to connect to the map reading light that would mean there would be power to the monitor all the time would it not. Was thinking it may be best just to have the monitor come on when reverse is selected. What are your thoughts

Yes, there is full time power to the screen from the map light (even when the map light is off) but the screen stays off. The screen only turns on when there is power from the map light AND the reverse gear is selected turning on the camera, sending video feed. So the LCD is not draining your battery when these two rules are not met simultaneously (POWER + VIDEO).

You can use a multimeter to check which lamp contact has power.

Many thanks again for your reply I appreciate your help greatly. Have checked the map light wiring and there is a white wire from the light glass with has a connector (which gives 12v when light off) and there is a orange/blue wire which connects onto prongs at rear of the lamp it also has 12v when off and then a connector with a blue and a black wire which connects to prongs on the rear of the lamp with no volts when off. Would you think then that I am alright to connect my power wire to either the white or the orange/blue wires which show 12v with the map light off. I have removed the panel cover on the drivers side above the dashboard which leads to the top of the windscreen and can see the orange/blue wire (12v with light off) so I can nicely conceal the wires if the orange/blue wire is okay to use. Look forward to hearing back.