Ford Transit Connect Forum

215/55 R16 - hens teeth?

Guitars4cancer

Hi, I busted a wheel on a recent road trip and needed to replace a tire. I was in a major metro area, yet nobody had a tire in 215/55R16 in stock, or could get me one in less than 3 days. Ended up switching to a set of 4 tires in 215/60R16, a size that everyone had in stock with many brands and models of tires to choose from. Anyone else run into this?

I'd guess it all depends on where you got stranded  

Tire Rack shows 58 different tires in 215/55R16  :victory:

If that's 'Hen's Teeth', that chicken sure has a mouthful!

I hit a chunk of asphalt which fell out of the back of a dump truck while crossing a bridge and blew a front tire on my Mitsubishi EV.  Limped into the first tire shop I found and asked if they could get me a 145/65R15  -  Now, you talk about 'hen's teeth' and there you have them  -  There are only 2 companies who import that rare size into the USA

The shop manager made a couple phone calls and just 3 hours later, I had a new pair of tires and was rolling again  -  This was in Biloxi MS, a city of only about 50,000

Don 

Yeah I just went through something similar. I looked at the really staggeringly poor options available in the stock Connect size (they're basically all all-seasons, which are universally crap) and gave up. I decided to switch to 205/55R16 which, since the Subaru Impreza has been using that size for close to 2 decades, there's a huge array of high quality tires available and they're widely stocked.

Biloxi... that brings me back. I'm originally from Pensacola but after rebuilding my house 4 times in a decade we became hurricane refugees. Biloxi has more people in it than the county I live in, the county above, below and beside us all combined. Our town is around 700 people with a 45 minute drive to the county seat of about 10k people to buy groceries or the like. Our county has 1 elevator! The next county over doesn't even have an incorporated town, or a single red light. What I was calling a metro area is an isolated city of about 90k people. My only guess is this is a spot shortage, or little cars are much more common in Mississippi. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, Guitars4cancer said:

Hi, I busted a wheel on a recent road trip and needed to replace a tire. I was in a major metro area, yet nobody had a tire in 215/55R16 in stock, or could get me one in less than 3 days. Ended up switching to a set of 4 tires in 215/60R16, a size that everyone had in stock with many brands and models of tires to choose from. Anyone else run into this?

I have a feeling almost anywhere you go 16s are a less common size and then almost nobody will have much with the 55 aspect ratio (in stock). Carrying a full size spare on a road trip is very wise.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

1 minute ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I have a feeling almost anywhere you go 16s are a less common size and then almost nobody will have much with the 55 aspect ratio. Carrying a full size spare on a road trip is very wise.

Yeah, I hear you... I'm a belt AND suspenders kinda guy, but this was the first ever trip with this vehicle as I was driving it home from the dealer 1400 miles away. I'd tried to look at the spare but it was a foot of snow and 7 degrees when I took delivery. I did manage to see that there was indeed a tire there, but I didn't see that it was a zipper failure on the other side.

The 50 and 55 aspect ratio seem to be very popular on Lots of cars.  The 225/50/18 on the Malibu  that's in the fleet  is much harder to get tires at a reasonable price.  

Edited by G B L