Ford Transit Connect Forum

New 2018 FTC XLT Cargo Van LWB

TC_Andy

Hi All - I just took delivery of a 2018 XLT L+Cargo Van LWB. I am in the early stages of planning a removable camping build and was happy to find and join this great forum. I took about 80 photos of the van yesterday (Interior and Exterior) but since I am new to the forum, I'm not sure if people would find posting all or some of them to be helpful. Please let me know.

In the meantime, here's a basic portrait and a scan of the window sticker for anyone interested. Looking forward to further conversations

2018 FTC  XLT LWB Cargo 001.jpg

2018 FTC  XLT LWB Cargo 002.jpg

20171228_095556.jpg

Hi TC_Andy, Looks great!

I'm waiting for my special order, it's currently in N.J. waiting for a train ride to Michigan.

Maybe you could answer a question? I see you ordered the Upfitter Wiring Harness. Have you found out yet what this includes? I know on the full size Transit and Pickups it includes Switches on the dash.

I also ordered it but no one. including the dealer has any knowledge, and no one on this forum has ordered it besides me and you. So, if you could please take a look and let us know what it includes that would be great!

Thanks,

Tom

The more I look into this I am realizing that it is just an additional wiring harness that can be utilized for any custom purpose. I can't find diagrams yet specific to the 2018, but earlier versions point to locations under the drivers seat and within the dash where the harness can be accessed and connected to the power circuits of the van. I don't think there are any actual switches anymore.

I wasn't able to find the post, but I seem to recall somebody mentioning seeing the upfitter connector while doing some other work. As best I can recall, it was just an unused connector taped at one of the Y-splits in the wiring harness that runs along the passenger side towards the rear fuse box. I remember there being a photo posted but it didn't show much except a bulge under the black tape covering just like the rest of the harness.

If there's not any more definite info by the time I special order my next TC, I am going to make sure the dealer knows ahead of time that he better be able to show me the Upfitter connections I ordered or I will assume it isn't there and I didn't get what I ordered. If I pay extra for it, the dealer better be able to prove it's installed.

Thanks for the photos.  I believe you are correct about the little holes being microphones.  Ive looked in them and couldn't figure out anything else they could be.  I see you have the cornering lights.  I like mine, they really light up the side when turning.  My other vehicle is a Volt and it is extremely difficult to see to the side at night (i absolutely love it otherwise but it can't haul my scooter or motorcycle).

The little holes are most likely car alarm microwave radars. I have had them on all my cars as add-on (usually on A-pillar). Definitely not phone microphones. I too have them on the shelf but my microphone is on the head unit.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:59 PM, TC_Andy said:

I thought the two opening might be microphones

I'm *pretty sure* you're right.  My 2014 didn't come with Bluetooth so those holes had tan plastic covering them.  When I installed my Pioneer Nav receiver with Bluetooth, I mounted the microphone that came with it in the left hand one and it fit perfectly

Don

10 hours ago, DonShockley said:

The microphone is behind the center grill between the two side holes. You can see it in the attached photo. There is a connector behind each hole so some option available must use them for something.

20150820_191914.jpg

20150721_083138.jpg

Any idea what this microphone is for? Looks like an add on. I bought my 2017 XLT Van w/SYNC new from a dealer with 7.5 miles on it and this was screwed to the lower dash panel. The other odd thing about my TC is the front Euro lic plate screw holes had been used (?).

P1040160.JPG

Edited by desert_connect

Good to know where the microphone is, I've wondered about it but not enough to chase it down.   As for the switch that is very interesting.  Presume the sticker is for tools to cut seat belts and break windows, great idea to put them there.

2 hours ago, desert_connect said:

The other odd thing about my TC is the front Euro lic plate screw holes had been used (?).

I have an actual Euro TC with US size license plate and there were no other holes prior to mounting that so it's definitely not normal.

9 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

....  Presume the sticker is for tools to cut seat belts and break windows, .....

There's an SW911 seatbelt cutter and a safety whistle in there. I started putting them in all my vehicles after an incident I saw in the news when I was younger. An elderly lady got ran off the road by another driver and her car ended up in a large group of bushes just off the road. Police were searching her travel path for a week or so with no luck finding her. Eventually an officer noticed a discolored section of bushes, as the broken branches from the crash started to die off, and investigated. The woman was found, severely dehydrated but alive. She had heard the searchers calling for her just yards away during the earlier searches but they couldn't hear her calling out weakly. The news story mentioned how a whistle and seatbelt cutter would have let her signal for help.

In the past I have used the whistle lanyard to attach both to the base of the seatbelt latch. That way they aren't likely to fly too far away in a crash and can be retrieved while still in the driver's seat. When I was working on my TC and saw the unused chamber (for sunglass storage option not included on my TC), I figured it was a good use of this space. The fixed cover was a bit hard to get off, and might be again in a crash, but is doable with just your fingernails. I've debated about adding a pull tab of other aid but have left it alone so far. The label was primarily for passengers but also a reminder for myself. I've been known to accidentally hide things from myself when I put them someplace that makes sense at the time but don't do that same thought process when I go looling for them. I only remember why I put it there after I find it. And since these tools will hopefully never get touched, out of sight out of mind is a real risk.

I like the SW911 because it's a versatile prying and cutting tool but the design, blunt tip and rounded serrations, shows it is not intended to be used as a weapon. In the event of a traffic stop or other police involvement I want it as obvious as possible that this is a safety tool and not a weapon. That's part of the reason I hesitate to add a tab to make access easier. The more difficult access, and the label, hopefully demonstrates that it is not intended to be a hidden weapon.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SW911-Response-Rescue/dp/B0002AWQWS

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-40-Whistle-Breakaway-Lanyard/dp/B000A20X32?th=1

Seatbelt cutter SW911.jpg

Whistle Fox40.jpg

On 1/3/2018 at 8:51 AM, PhotoAl said:

Thanks for the photos.  I believe you are correct about the little holes being microphones.  Ive looked in them and couldn't figure out anything else they could be.  I see you have the cornering lights.  I like mine, they really light up the side when turning.  My other vehicle is a Volt and it is extremely difficult to see to the side at night (i absolutely love it otherwise but it can't haul my scooter or motorcycle).

The cornering lights make a big difference. I live in a rural area, so it is dark at night and they really help. I also find the fog lights very helpful. The low beams seem a bit anemic and when I turn on the fog lights they illuminate the roadway to either side quite well without seeming to bother oncoming drivers.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:12 AM, mrtn said:

The little holes are most likely car alarm microwave radars. I have had them on all my cars as add-on (usually on A-pillar). Definitely not phone microphones. I too have them on the shelf but my microphone is on the head unit.

I did get the car alarm add on, so that makes sense. Can anyone clue me in about how to open up this area of the overhead? Do you have to take off the whole shelf or is there some way of opening it from below?