On 12/5/2017 at 5:07 PM, windguy said:

Pretty sure there's a thread or two on this forum that details installing your own backup camera. Good starting point.

KIMG0089.JPGKIMG0090.JPGKIMG0091.JPG

I finally got around to changing the backup light to LEDs.

Seems like there is more light now so I think it's a worthwhile mod.

Getting the rear lens out was easy on the passenger side but the driver side was caught up and a pain to back out. There's not a whole lot of wiggle room to getting these out. Tight fit. In case someone is wondering, the lens does not have to be removed, just opened enough to get to the rear of the housing to remove the bulb socket. See pic below.

Put the new LEDs in, button it up and then grab my wife to help me test it out. Neither light is on. What? Really? Both don't work. Crap! I knew I should have tested it before putting it all back. I recall reading either on this forum or reviews for the bulbs that sometimes the LEDs have to be reversed. Did that and they both fired up just fine. 

There are an assortment of LED options available but I decided to avoid the lower cost ones and go with Phillips based on quality in the reviews. $20 for the pair.

P/N: 12789LPB2  921-WHITE LED. Original bulb is a W16W.

Backup Light bulbs.jpg

Backup Light LED.jpg

Rear Light Housing 01.jpg

Rear Light Housing 02.jpg

Edited by windguy

If you remove the plastic trim above the lighting unit first, the lighting unit comes off a lot easier.