Ford Transit Connect Forum

GEN 2 EXT REAR LIGHTING

Has anyone seen or considered adding some type of exterior lighting to the back of a Gen 2?

This wouldn't be a real necessity for me because I don't drive much at night, but recently I was backing down the driveway and had a hard time seeing behind me. The rearview camera optics are probably better than my eyes, but it's still marginal. Probably would be a useful feature to have if you're camping or you're in a remote dark area and need to back up or turn around.

It would be cool to have some type of dash or cab mounted switch to toggle the light(s).

And then the question of where to mount the lights. Perhaps in that upper dummy panel above the light cluster.

Just a rambling thought.

I installed amber lights onto those plastic trim panels, on part that faces to the side (not rear facing), and they turn on with my fog lights.  In my state, you're allowed to have red or amber side markers.

I also installed an LED light on the plastic trim panel of the lift gate, which turns on with my backup camera.  

You could always install a work ligh on the roof.

Or simply upgrade your reverse lights with LED.

image.png.fbcb4dc72fdcae9fb9880e51527294b1.png

image.png.460d3092361b31220266eeb4ccdd26f9.pngimage.thumb.png.4474ee9f98c01418b21858adb2a8ebaf.pngimage.thumb.png.a28417e642753e6cb46ff9f2d6f44134.png

KIMG1022.JPG

KIMG1019.JPG

Thanks guys - you're all brilliant!  :thumbsup:

Changing the bulb type to a LED for the back-up light seems like a really easy and low cost fix to add more light when backing up.

Once again, I was overthinking this and not looking for the obvious.

I checked the bulb chart in the manual, shown below, and I'm after a W16W - 16W bulb.

Seems like there are lot of options for replacement bulbs, some links below. Any favorites??

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Super-Bright-Backup-Lights/dp/B06XKFPCNT

This one says on the package 'for off-road use only'

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-White-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01CKQP830

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12789LPB2-Bright-Vision-Back-up/dp/B01I3OTWQ2/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511469582&sr=1-10&keywords=w16w+led

In getting to the bulbs, probably easier to get to the screws if you have a lift gate vs a barn door but I'm optimistic it will be easy.

TC Lamps 02.jpg

Rear Lamp Maintenance.jpg

Edited by windguy

The Philips and the Sylvania are the best built, and have the best warranty.  They are some of the most expensive.  But that does not make them the brightest.    The brighter lamps will be the ones sold by a Chinese company, and fulfilled by Amazon.

618ra1EqNIL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/LUYED-Extremely-Chipsets-Reverse-Brightest/dp/B01LX4FMD1/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1511500193&sr=1-3&keywords=w16w+3030

Yes, those are the back-up bulbs.

A note on LEDs:

I have found the cheap Amazon/Chinese T10 LEDs have short lives when used frequently. The LED substrate in these products breaks down when heated. I have re-replaced almost all of the cheap ones in the interior with Phillips. Hopefully they last longer. The cheap ones lasted less than a year. At least the experiment only cost about $15.

Thanks for the input on the LED options. Good to know if I decide to replace other bulbs with LEDs in the future.

For the backup light, it doesn't stay on very long so my preference is for max light output that's directed outward and not so much longevity.

21 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

WindGuy,

Once you go through the trouble of taking the rear lamp housing off, even though it''s only 2 screws, you might as well switch out all of the lights.

These worked for my rear turn signals.

No hyperflash.  Plug and play.

Thanks Fifty150 - I'm guessing you don't have a model number but pic only as a a reference.

I'd be concerned about startling other drivers with a bright turn signal cause so many drivers around here in SoCa aren't used to seeing them used  ;)

I think in general the tail lighting is pretty decent on the TC with well positioned and illuminated lights. So many cars have anemic lights you can barely see, scary!

Here's a link to my Philips LED back-up lights from Amazon - they work pretty great for me, way better than the stock bulbs. But, I still need extra lighting at times. You can see I added some where the red reflectors used to be in the bumper, but I still need to do wiring & switch for those lights. Also, just above the stock taillights are some amber/white LED strobes wired direct to the back-up bulbs, I added those because of too many people walking or driving past when I'm trying to back-up from parking spots (put down the damn cell phone, people! lol). My van only has windows in the front cockpit, none in back/side.

WP_20170613_001.thumb.jpg.338a0bdb1a2ecf01adb22a8bdb2652ee.jpg

I've also upgraded my rear lighting to all LED. The turn signal bulbs have hyperflash, but it doesn't bother me much since I usually do the "bump" triple-flash.

Thanks Fifty150 and jrm223. It's crazy how many different LED's are available and all with mixed reviews. I guess it's application specific depending on the bulb and reflector in the housing.

Your experiences go a long way in helping me.

@jrm223 - your van is so shiny clean you got a selfie going on with the reflection. With no extra windows and I don't see rear parking sensors,  I hope you have a backup camera.

9 hours ago, jrm223 said:

I've also upgraded my rear lighting to all LED. The turn signal bulbs have hyperflash, but it doesn't bother me much since I usually do the "bump" triple-flash.

The amber turn signal lights which I use do not hyperflash.  There are enough 3030 SMD  to draw electricity equivalent to the halogen lamp load.

just above the stock taillights are some amber/white LED strobes wired direct to the back-up bulbs, I added those because of too many people walking or driving past when I'm trying to back-up from parking spots (put down the damn cell phone, people! lol).

Those little amber LED that I mounted onto the same plastic trim panel are for the same purpose.  They illuminate solid as a side marker when I turn on the yellow beam on my light bar, and also strobe flash in yellow when I activate the light bar's strobe flash pattern.  I typically flash them when backing into parking spaces, backing into garages, or backing into oncoming traffic if I am parked at a 45 degree angle with my front end against the curb.

Edited by Fifty150
spelling/grammar

You can see I added some where the red reflectors used to be in the bumper, but I still need to do wiring & switch for those lights.

I'm still on the fence about mounting lighting in place of those reflectors.  People parallel parking in The City tend to tap bumpers and park by braille.  

Which brand/model/part no. are those lights?    I may consider those in red.  Always handy to have flashing red lights, or extra brake lights.

Windguy,  my backing up is all mirrors, I have a base model XL and the only options the dealer ordered was power locks & windows (no cruise control, even!). That's also why I want to get the "large" mirrors to replace the current "small" ones, little better view especially in the bigger blind-spot mirrors on the large version.

Fifty150, fortunately I stay the hell out of big cities and live in rural Texas now :) So no worries about parallel parking for me. I couldn't find the exact same listing because I got 4x for $25 back in April, but this listing here is the same style of lights. I'd think you could get some red film to put on the lens or even disassemble them and use red "stained glass" type paint on the inside of the lens. I have them mounted only to the plastic bumper, so they'd pretty much move with the bumper if someone gave my van a little love-tap.

I took a couple more pics when I got home last night, with & without camera flash. This is taillights, back-ups & back-up strobes since I haven't got around to wiring the bumper lights.

WP_20171128_001.jpg

WP_20171128_002.jpg

13 hours ago, jrm223 said:

I have a base model XL

Mine is also the XL.  Install a backup camera.  One of the first things I added after discovering that I couldn't see much with the blind spots and tinted windows.  It should be really easy to run the wiring with a cargo van that does not have seats and an interior.  You could even install the backup camera with a wireless kit to transmit the image, so that you don't have to run all the wiring from the camera to the monitor.  To the best of my recollection, backup cameras are sold at less than $20.  

On 11/29/2017 at 8:41 PM, Fifty150 said:

Mine is also the XL.  Install a backup camera.  One of the first things I added after discovering that I couldn't see much with the blind spots and tinted windows.  It should be really easy to run the wiring with a cargo van that does not have seats and an interior.  You could even install the backup camera with a wireless kit to transmit the image, so that you don't have to run all the wiring from the camera to the monitor.  To the best of my recollection, backup cameras are sold at less than $20.  

Spot on - I would agree. Pretty sure there's a thread or two on this forum that details installing your own backup camera. Good starting point.

With no rear windows you're going to like having this feature.