Ford Transit Connect Forum

Intentionally leaving FOB inside my 16 TC XLT and using my other FOB to gain entry?

I have been leaving spare fob on the mat and using my other fob to gain entry(fob always stays clipped to my belt)...once inside grab fob off the mat and use it to start vehicle. Am i violating protocol possibly draining vehicle battery(has not occurred) or draining the fob battery? So far all is well with all operations.

I got four FOB's with the van so I have two FOB's stashed , one inside and one outside, and have not experienced any problems.

One advantage of the TC is that you can keep the FOB inside and still lock the doors. Some vehicles don't let you do that to prevent you from locking your FOB inside.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:41 AM, Willygee said:

I have been leaving spare fob on the mat and using my other fob to gain entry(fob always stays clipped to my belt)...once inside grab fob off the mat and use it to start vehicle. Am i violating protocol possibly draining vehicle battery(has not occurred) or draining the fob battery? So far all is well with all operations.

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

The FOB has a transmitter that allows the vehicle start. Leaving a fob inside will allow the van to be started by punching the ignition or other criminal means. I want to hide a key under the body but need to find a way to block the disable/enable signal.

Correct, the chip inside the key placed in the vehicle will allow the vehicle to be started and drivable. In other words leaving a spare key inside will cancel or turn off the electronic anit-theft function. You can disable the chip inside the key by wrapping the key in aluminum foil.........I did this on both my Subaru and Ford Ranger, tested it and it did the job.   

6 hours ago, Willygee said:

Speaking of secret hiding places for a single FOB...thinking of a waterproof container or bag but where to hide it? My 97 ram van class b(sold) spare entry key inside of tail lite housing.

That's what I used. First put the FOB inside a ziplock baggie and then inside a waterproof container I picked up online. I can't find the paperwork for that, but the size is important to make sure the FOB fits, but not too big. I sealed the container with tape to make sure it stays closed and to ensure the seal. I'll PM you with a hiding spot.

My main motivation for stashing a key outside was because I rely on the keypad for entry when at the beach and I don't want to get stuck if it malfunctions somehow. Backups are good.

1 hour ago, desert_connect said:

Correct, the chip inside the key placed in the vehicle will allow the vehicle to be started and drivable. In other words leaving a spare key inside will cancel or turn off the electronic anit-theft function. You can disable the chip inside the key by wrapping the key in aluminum foil.........I did this on both my Subaru and Ford Ranger, tested it and it did the job.   

I never considered the anti-theft aspect. Good posts desert_connect and Don R.  :thumbsup:

I will fish out my FOB's and do some foil wrapping. Besides, I need to redo my tin foil hat anyway as it's getting a bit tattered :sneaking:

• 6 months later...

In Quebec at least, it is illegal to leave the keys in the car.

A friend locked her keys in the ignition, panicked, called 911. Cops came, wrote her a $182 ticket for leaving her keys in the car, & left. She found a taxi driver with a kit to get the car opened.

My pickup has a cut key in the back deck but without the FOB, it only opens the door - will not start. I figure the only reason I'll need it is when I lock the key in the ignition anyway...

GK

• 1 year later...

I know that I am late to respond but consider getting keys that are transponder equipped ONLY. In my case I had two non-remote keys made and could onboard program them with the two original remotes that came with the vehicle.

Why? Because it was  A LOT CHEAPER. to purchase. I can also lock the vehicle with the key and not have to worry about an alarm when I am on a work site. For the 2016 look at part number from Strattec

5915237 .

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2017 at 8:22 PM, windguy said:

One advantage of the TC is that you can keep the FOB inside and still lock the doors. Some vehicles don't let you do that to prevent you from locking your FOB inside.

Wish i could do this with my 2017 Fusion with external keypad. Would like to lock the fob in the car while at the beach, then use the keypad to open.

However the doors refuse to lock with the fob inside, even when stored in the trunk.

2 hours ago, Delmar said:

Wish i could do this with my 2017 Fusion with external keypad. Would like to lock the fob in the car while at the beach, then use the keypad to open.

However the doors refuse to lock with the fob inside, even when stored in the trunk.

That's exactly why I added a keypad to the rear door of my TC, so I didn't have to stash the FOB at the beach. Has worked brilliantly for the last five years.

Have you experimented stashing the FOB inside different types of metal containers to block the RF signal? Just storing it in the trunk is not enough to block its signal.

A quick google search found the items linked below. Not endorsing these products but something like them might work. Check the reviews. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-Signal-Blocking-Bag/dp/B00Y3FLYWG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081TNGCVS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B081TNGCVS&pd_rd_w=ptO1S&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=hk5dC&pf_rd_r=8CB9DXXEBTYBNCJ0CPKY&pd_rd_r=8eff050b-8645-4ba9-aee5-0ad885e0a646&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTENEUlhMSVNOM1RYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjM1NzgyMTM4NDNNWlJTTDBPSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjEzOTY4MThWU0w2UDFOUzhINiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

keypad location.JPG

Edited by windguy

2 hours ago, G B L said:

have you tried to Lock a back door last?

There is no lock button in the back doors. Can only lock all four doors, which will unlock if the fob is in the car. Even closing the rear door or trunk last.

1 hour ago, windguy said:

That's exactly why I added a keypad to the rear door of my TC, so I didn't have to stash the FOB at the beach. Has worked brilliantly for the last five years.

Have you experimented stashing the FOB inside different types of metal containers to block the RF signal? Just storing it in the trunk is not enough to block its signal.

A quick google search found the items linked below. Not endorsing these products but something like them might work. Check the reviews. Good luck!

Was thinking about something like that, but too intellectually lazy to do the research. Thanks for doing the heavy thinking for me, and just bought one on eBay. Will let you know how it works.

9 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Maybe enough room behind the Ford emblem on the hood to stash a key? Seems there would be, and just velcro it in place. Might have to cut out some internal reinforcement.

That's too much like the old fashion magnet behind the bumper, under the car, et cetera.  You could do what valets used to do.  Put the key on top of the driver side, front tire.  Or not even lock the car at all, and just hide the under the floor mat or tucked in the sun visor.  It's like leaving your house key under the door mat.  No security at all.  If someone goes to the parking lot at the beach, and knows that you are 1,000' out in the water, they can look behind the bumper, on top of the tires, under the car body.....find your key and steal your car.  You can always get a girlfriend to come along to watch your stuff.  Just don't forget to crack the windows open because it's hot at the beach.  But that gets expensive if you have to buy water for her to drink.  And not so comfortable at home when the wife finds out about the girlfriend.  

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

You can always get a girlfriend to come along to watch your stuff.  Just don't forget to crack the windows open because it's hot at the beach.  But that gets expensive if you have to buy water for her to drink.  And not so comfortable at home when the wife finds out about the girlfriend.  

It would be much cheaper and easier to have the car stolen. Divorce is expensive.

Edited by Delmar