Ford Transit Connect Forum

How can you tell if a van has SYNC?

williaty

I thought this was an easy question but I'm no longer sure that it is. I thought that because my van has the AM/FM/CD radio with the full keypad including the PHONE button, that meant that it had SYNC. This is the radio unit I'm talking about:

Ford-Transit_Connect_Wagon-2014-1600-06.

However, when I push the PHONE button to attempt to arrange pairing, I get a display that says "AUDIO MUTED" and no option to pair, reset, or anything else.

Does this mean my van doesn't actually have SYNC?

2 hours ago, williaty said:

I thought this was an easy question but I'm no longer sure that it is. I thought that because my van has the AM/FM/CD radio with the full keypad including the PHONE button, that meant that it had SYNC. This is the radio unit I'm talking about:

Ford-Transit_Connect_Wagon-2014-1600-06.

However, when I push the PHONE button to attempt to arrange pairing, I get a display that says "AUDIO MUTED" and no option to pair, reset, or anything else.

Does this mean my van doesn't actually have SYNC?

Same radio that came in my 2014  -  It's the next to cheapest option of them all (the only thing cheaper doesn't have the CD) and no Sync for sure  -  If you did have Sync, there would be a badge bragging about it  ;-)

The phone button is working as designed  -  When your phone rings, press the button and the stereo goes silent

I replaced mine with a Pioneer Nav unit and now I do have Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles

Don

2 minutes ago, williaty said:

OK, found ETIS. Seems to have little to no data about my van. It looks like it's a UK thing as all the outgoing links are to ford.uk domains.

No, it's global, it should list the full configuration of your van.

There is a website where you put in your VIN and it tells you everything that came on the vehicle.  I don't have a link to it, but when I checked out mine shortly after I bought it, I learned all sorts of things about the van that I didn't know

Don

Just now, mrtn said:

No, it's global, it should list the full configuration of your van.

Nope, doesn't list any info at all. Googling it, there's threads in other Ford owners forums about how ETIS is euro-only and, on the rare occasions when it does list info about USDM cars, much of it is wrong.

• 11 months later...

I have the same question as Williaty here so I'm chiming in to see if anything has come of this.  The stereo in my 2014 is slightly different, but also seems to not include SYNC.  I'm wondering if anyone has added a sync module, or bluetooth module to the factory stereo with any luck or if the only option is to go aftermarket.  

I'm also curious if the microphone hole in the headliner has anything inside of it...

I just bought a used 2014 TC with 90K miles and am loving it!

Thanks for the help!

Jackson

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

@jackson - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you TC.

I have the exact same radio and there is no Sync, just AM/FM with a CD player.

Exactly as 'Beta Don' described above. It's a basic radio option but works well for me.

The only option I wish I had was being able to input music to the radio from a USB port. I thought that was standard on an XLT but it wasn't.

I'm curious what Beta Don needed to do to install that aftermarket Pioneer Nav Unit. It's it's an easy drop-in replacement then I might be interested.

Hey @windguy,

Thanks for the reply.  From reading about that Pioneer install it did look more or less like a drop-in install, with the right connectors of course.  Because of the angle of the dash I think I'm going to go with a more traditional single DIN unit with rear USB and AUX inputs and run them into the center console.  I am thinking about a Kenwood KDC model for some of the features.  I also wouldn't mind having another storage option under the single DIN unit.  

I am wondering if my XLT has the microphones installed in the ceiling console and how exactly the 6-channel sound system will work the the after market head-unit.  

We'll see!

Jackson