Ford Transit Connect Forum

Taurus rims and TPMS

batman

Hi all,

So I'm looking for info or advice on using early 2000s Taurus rims on a 2014 TC with TPMS. These will be used in the winter with likely the same size tires that are currently on the TC. I haven't seen the rims (16 inch like the current 2014 rims) but they have a +42 offset (vs a +50 for the factory TC) and are 6 inch wide (vs. the 6.5 on the TC). They don't have TPMS on them and it doesn't appear they are notched in any way to suggest one could easily be added- but I'm not certain. A local friend who works at a corporate tire franchise said that for his company, those rims wouldn't throw up a red flag other than if there were no TPMS.

So my questions are: Has anyone tried to use these rims or a similar 16 inch rims successfully and has anyone run rims without TPMS, and if so what is expected?

Thanks!

Notched for TPMS?  Not sure what this means, but my OEM steel wheels had no 'notch' and I didn't have any problem switching my OEM sensors over to the Focus wheels I put on the van.  Don't see why you couldn't buy a second set of sensors and install on your new Taurus wheels

Don

Thanks Don,

I read someplace that aluminum rims may not have enough room for the TPMS if they weren't originally cast to accept them (around the valve stem, interior of the rim). Some castings show that recess, it appears.

Thanks!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, batman said:

I read someplace that aluminum rims may not have enough room for the TPMS if they weren't originally cast to accept them (around the valve stem, interior of the rim). Some castings show that recess, it appears.

I have read similar statements and take it to mean some older alloy rims can't use a sensor.

I'm a bit confused about this whole sensor thing. I put some older rims on (without sensors) and did not get any fault for about a week until the old tires lost some air pressure. Put the factory wheels (I assume with sensors) back on and the fault went away. So why pray tell was I able to run for a week with no fault? The old Volvo rims definitely did not have sensors.

@Beta Don: Does the 2016 actually have sensors in the wheels? The guy at the tire shop couldn't tell me yea or nay. I didn't break down the factory tires and wheels, just put new tires on the Volvo rims still with no sensors and I'm working on my second round of "tire art".

I assume all the Gen 2's have sensors  -  My 2014 definitely does.  The Focus wheels I bought came with the stems in them, minus the sensors, so swapping in my OEM sensors was as simple as removing 1 screw to get the sensor off the stem and putting them onto the stems already in the Focus wheels with that same screw.  I didn't see any special 'notch' in the Focus rims which made me think you couldn't put sensors in any alloy wheels.  Modern alloys *do* have a chunk  of aluminum missing near the sensor, but it doesn't have anything to do with making room for the sensor  -  I'm 99% sure it's just that they left out a chunk about the same weight as the sensor to make it easier to balance the wheel with the sensor in it

Don