Ford Transit Connect Forum

Sound deadening solution for noisy vans

Bryan the Locksmith

I have roof racks on my 2015 LWB cargo TC and was getting a lot of interior noise at a variety of speeds. Since I bought the van used with the racks I didn’t know what the general noise level was without them but I wanted to try to solve the problem without removing them. I found some references online about using butyl automotive sound deadening mat typically used in cars with powerful sound systems. I purchased a 36 sq ft pack of Noico 80 mil sound deadening mat and applied it to the ceiling, the upper sliding door panels and on the rear side upper panels. I have the lift gate so I didn’t put any on the rear door. The interior noise was so dramatically reduced that is seems like I’m now riding in a luxury car. This has been the best value addition to my cargo van.

I agree with the sound deadening materials. I upgraded my sound system, and in the process used a product called B-Quiet throughout the drivers compartment. Treated the entire floor, A-Pillars, front roof, both doors and the sound difference is really amazing. I have a Ranger partition behind the front seats that also does a good job of cancelling out the rear area sound, combined together, what a difference. Systems like voice activation and Bluetooth work so much better with a lower noise floor. Very good investment. I also drive a TC as a work truck, so I can compare the difference between them, the personal van is so much nicer to ride in.

I also used butyl tiles (CLD) during a sound system upgrade. I read a lot about them on forums and most interesting is you only need 25% coverage to get good results. This product rated very good and the website explains the coverage requirements.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/understanding-vehicle-noise

So, definitely add CLD tiles and don't worry about 100% coverage.

FYI, Ford applies a tar or butyl CLD- type material on the doors and floor already to help reduce noise. You will see patches of rough material on the doors and floor.

• 1 year later...

"Systems like voice activation and Bluetooth work so much better with a lower noise floor. Very good investment. I also drive a TC as a work truck, so I can compare the difference between them, the personal van is so much nicer to ride in."

You are correct zalienz. Background noise is a huge problem for all voice recognition systems. Basically it's because of two problems. The first is that single point (ie using one microphone) sound capturing does a bad job with background noise. Have you ever spoken to someone while they were driving(and you were not in a car) who was using those tiny single ear blue tooth headsets that fit into one ear and you couldn't understand a damn thing they said? That's what I'm talking about. The only solution is to use one of those headsets which have a mic that extends over to your mouth(like they use in call centers). Those work very well in environments with lots of background noise. This is just the laws of physics in action.

The second reason is because all computers, especially those in cars, are stupid, literally. Not many realize it but the number one driver behind artificial intelligence development is in using AI will allow machines to hear and understand language in a noisy background like humans do. The military has poured mega bucks into it because they want tanks that can understand voice commands from the human operators. 

• 1 month later...