Ford Transit Connect Forum

2017 TC XLT simple camper

Here are pictures of my simple camper conversion.  I needed a bed for two, a sofa, a table, a place for a cooler, it had to be easy to install and remove. I built this during a week and then we went on a 3 week camping trip spending every night in it. Overall, it works well for us.  3300 miles on the trip and averaged 29.0 mpg.

I have since removed the top half of the folding seat back, it is more comfortable w/o.  The eye bolt thing on the rear door holds the door open a couple of inches for ventilation while at the same time being able to lock the door.  The third cushion fits nicely behind the seat back. The unit is held in place with 2 turn buckles, 1 in rear shown in pics and the other is at the L mid tie down point. I can remove this in a few minutes by myself and have an empty van again.  

36407612196_2a87687417_c.jpg

35646489164_7c6bbc842a_c.jpg

35517069054_6870bd8e83_c.jpg

35517058084_43035d1681_c.jpg

36216010731_ccd28c4cd7_c.jpg

36240254121_9d3704e026_c.jpg

36240248051_145e521659_c.jpg

36143504311_7a71f5c083_c.jpg

Great job - I like the design and craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Is that a light mounted on the top in the back?

How about the black thing in the front behind the driver's seat? Looks like a clamped on lamp perhaps.

21 minutes ago, windguy said:

Great job - I like the design and craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Is that a light mounted on the top in the back?

How about the black thing in the front behind the driver's seat? Looks like a clamped on lamp perhaps.

Thanks, windguy! The black clamp on thing is a cheapy 12v fan. Correct, in the rear I mounted a small LED light fixture I bought from Amazon. A great little light for 10$ and I hooked up to live power. I removed the oem cargo light. 

LED light link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015U5LCNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 10/4/2017 at 9:20 PM, desert_connect said:

Thanks, windguy! The black clamp on thing is a cheapy 12v fan. Correct, in the rear I mounted a small LED light fixture I bought from Amazon. A great little light for 10$ and I hooked up to live power. I removed the oem cargo light. 

LED light link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015U5LCNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fan is a great idea.

Thanks for the light link. It's nice that the light has a built in switch.

How did you remove the OEM cargo light? Mine is LED upgrade cargo light, but it's blocked by racking so it's not doing much good plus I can't stand it being on when I don't want it on and not being able to switch it on unless I close and open a door. I always leave my driver's side slider open in the garage.

Where did you wire the light to?

Thanks all.

windguy;   I don't remember exactly how the oem light popped out but it did so easily. I searched for awhile to find a light that was small and had a switch, not too bright, not pure white (blue) or yellow and this was it. It has a natural white color and an opaque lens so it won't leave a person blind with spots. I grounded it to one mounting screw, then ran a single wire thru the channel above the doors/light, down the rear pillar and connected it to the 12v outlet plug hot wire behind the R rear panel. So far, it seems to be live all the time.  I installed the light on the drivers side of center because that worked out better for us sitting on the sofa. I may add another one somewhere towards the front.

36028910315_5c728a35d6_c.jpg

@desert_connect - thanks for the added info. I've scoped out that same tap point as I'm considering adding a power point on the driver's side rear area, which is more accessible for me. And to add some type of lighting as well. I really like that light. Nice choice! It would be cool if it had a magnetic mount so you can easily stick it anywhere with a hole for the wire.

1 hour ago, windguy said:

@desert_connect - thanks for the added info. I've scoped out that same tap point as I'm considering adding a power point on the driver's side rear area, which is more accessible for me. And to add some type of lighting as well. I really like that light. Nice choice! It would be cool if it had a magnetic mount so you can easily stick it anywhere with a hole for the wire.

Good idea! I don't see any reason why a person couldn't just add magnets to that light at the two screw mounting holes in the base using two small machine screws. They have cabinetry magnets at Lowe's and HD with a hole in the center for a screw. This would however lift the light fixture up the thickness of the magnet.  

• 1 month later...

I like that. I also raised my rear plate after I got the van by drilling another set of holes in the plate to shift it upwards. Posted that in a thread.

Your mounting looks cleaner than mine without the extra holes in the plate.

The mounting is definitely not designed for US sized plates. AZ has a good looking plate.

Van looks great in that first pic with the nice desert backdrop, except for the fencing part.

rear license plate 03a.jpg

12 hours ago, windguy said:

I like that. I also raised my rear plate after I got the van by drilling another set of holes in the plate to shift it upwards. Posted that in a thread.

Your mounting looks cleaner than mine without the extra holes in the plate.

The mounting is definitely not designed for US sized plates. AZ has a good looking plate.

Van looks great in that first pic with the nice desert backdrop, except for the fencing part.

rear license plate 03a.jpg

Thanks, windguy! I did briefly look into re-drilling the license plate holes but looked like my numbers/letters would interfere so I made the sheetmetal adaptor. I don't see a good reason why Ford didn't raise it to begin with. The correct location would not have been any more trouble than the incorrect location. I also had to bend and modify the lic plate light housing clips. They were always popping loose and rattling.    

10 hours ago, Beta Don said:

I put the chrome (stainless actually) dress up kit on the grille too

Don

P1000301.jpg

Looks great, Don. A bit of SS really changes the front end looks! I looks like you got a German (?) plate. I found after searching around that I could get a plate with the state flag so I did that.

Yes, it's German.  I found a guy on eBay (from Poland I think) who will make you any plate you want from most any European country, so since I have a 2014 TC XLT, that's what I went with.  Think it cost about $25 and he had it shipped here in ten days or so

The SS grille kit was $50.  Both are installed with double faced tape

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I found this little 2.5" dia. x 2" H rechargeable (USB) light for my van. Bright enough to read under with 200+ lumens on high, 100  on med and 20 on low and has SOS. On high the battery is rated at 6 hrs and low up to 36 hrs. A magnetic base that can be angled and so far has stayed put while driving around now for a month. Also has a fold out bail and hook to be hung inside or outside and it's rainproof. Great little light for 19$. With this light I may not add anymore permanent lights inside

Light link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018V6XMC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PC080135.JPG

PC080139.JPG

6 hours ago, desert_connect said:

I found this little 2.5" dia. x 2" H rechargeable (USB) light for my van. Bright enough to read under with 200+ lumens on high, 100  on med and 20 on low and has SOS. On high the battery is rated at 6 hrs and low up to 36 hrs. A magnetic base that can be angled and so far has stayed put while driving around now for a month. Also has a fold out bail and hook to be hung inside or outside and it's rainproof. Great little light for 19$. With this light I may not add anymore permanent lights inside

Light link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018V6XMC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool find - thanks for sharing

• 7 months later...

I finally got around to painting the cheap moisture wicking door panels. I did the rear door first and will do the sliding doors next. Scuffed the panels with 150# sandpaper. Painted a primer and a base coat on both sides and a granite top coat on the face only. The rough finish looks good but may prove to be a nuisance to clean.   

P7230186.JPG

P7230188.JPG

Edited by desert_connect