Ford Transit Connect Forum

Removing this panel on dash

Tiller

Has anyone removed the dash panel in front of the steering wheel?  I understand that in some European models this is actually a small compartment.  I'm interested in seeing if I can remove it so I can mount some switches on it and run the wiring down behind the dash.

Thanks!

Tiller

IMG_3795.thumb.JPG.2da82dd6b80d30773276375a897897de.JPG

I'll probably pull that panel in week or two.  It might be possible to "modify" and hinge the existing panel so it serves the same purpose.  There are some nice dash switches available that I think could be mounted on that panel for easy access by the driver.  One of those switched FZ-blocks that Don had posted about would fit in that space I'm sure.  It's a short run to the battery for power for it.  The wires could be worked down behind the dash maybe.  Being able to open that panel easily would be nice for accessing any wiring needs or changes.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this, but I'd want maybe even a lower profile.  This would be mostly for extras like exterior floodlights,  maybe additional interior lights since the stock interior lights pretty much suck. 

image.png.9ed246796248844c3d6f1ca7b7991e08.png

On 9/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, Tiller said:

the stock interior lights pretty much suck. 

Replace them with LED lamps.  It will make a big difference.  I replaced all of mine with red LED, to preserve night vision, and gives the interior more of a 70's shagging wagon ambiance.  

You could also pick up a couple of 5 meter LED light strips in any color that you want, and just run them on the same circuit as your existing interior lamps.   

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145YY9IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

61N9jq%2B5eoL._SL1001_.jpg61UTAn4ivBL._SL1001_.jpg61r6e1BUQHL._SL1001_.jpg

I've had the LED strip lights for months now, in both blue and white.  I just haven't gotten them installed yet.  Time.. time.. time...

I probably won't screw with headlights at this time.  No overpowering reason to spend the money right now.  i will wait until a bulb blows out and it needs replacing.  Unless for some reason I start having electrical issues and need to lower the overall draw on the system.  But I'm not seeing any now.  I'd rather spend the money on off-road lights to mount on the roof rack rail and mount the switches on that panel on the dash. 

I have pulled the panel and found that once it's removed, if I remove the two rear clips from the panel and reinstall it, it is much easier to remove.  The fit still seems fine and I'm not getting any additional noise or vibration from having done so.  I've got about 1000 miles on it now since I removed the rear two clips and no issues.  Once I get the switches in and fully wired, and I don't see a future need to access the panel very often,  I'll reinstall the rear clips again.

I wish that dash panel didn't stick out as far as it does. It blocks my view of the dash.

@Tiller - did you consider adding switches to the area at the center of the overhead storage area, like the pic below from another vehicle?

In the TC there's a storage compartment for glasses for some TC models, not mine.

panel switches.jpg

I have the sunglass compartment and the control buttons for the skylight screen up there.  BTW: the sunglass compartment looks like crap. The Honda and Acura models have a much nicer and simplistic design for their sunglasses holder.

I have thought about putting them up top but was thinking that when wiring up multiple switches, running the wires up in the dash would be easier than up the pillars into the overhead area.  Of course it depends on what is being wired.  But that was my thought anyway.

If it blocks your view have you considered taking it out and and cutting some of it back?  You might be able to do a passable job yourself or you might need to cut it and then take it to a shop to have it recovered or otherwise redone.

19 hours ago, Tiller said:

I have the sunglass compartment and the control buttons for the skylight screen up there.  BTW: the sunglass compartment looks like crap. The Honda and Acura models have a much nicer and simplistic design for their sunglasses holder.

I have thought about putting them up top but was thinking that when wiring up multiple switches, running the wires up in the dash would be easier than up the pillars into the overhead area.  Of course it depends on what is being wired.  But that was my thought anyway.

If it blocks your view have you considered taking it out and and cutting some of it back?  You might be able to do a passable job yourself or you might need to cut it and then take it to a shop to have it recovered or otherwise redone.

I agree, harder to wire up plus your panel is already in use. Mine's a waste of space being a blank panel.

Thanks for the option of fixing that dash panel, but that would be too drastic for me to take on. I never look at the analog gauges (speedo and tach). Kind of a waste for me. I check my speed with the center digital speedo. I think the whole dash design lean towards style over function. I did consider a heads up display but haven't done any research beyond a quick glance.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:18 AM, Tiller said:

I've had the LED strip lights for months now, in both blue and white.  I just haven't gotten them installed yet.  Time.. time.. time...

I probably won't screw with headlights at this time.  No overpowering reason to spend the money right now.  i will wait until a bulb blows out and it needs replacing.  Unless for some reason I start having electrical issues and need to lower the overall draw on the system.  But I'm not seeing any now.  I'd rather spend the money on off-road lights to mount on the roof rack rail and mount the switches on that panel on the dash. 

I have pulled the panel and found that once it's removed, if I remove the two rear clips from the panel and reinstall it, it is much easier to remove.  The fit still seems fine and I'm not getting any additional noise or vibration from having done so.  I've got about 1000 miles on it now since I removed the rear two clips and no issues.  Once I get the switches in and fully wired, and I don't see a future need to access the panel very often,  I'll reinstall the rear clips again.

On 10/1/2017 at 2:32 AM, Tiller said:

Tiller - Based on these posts, it sounds like you have the Panoramic glass.  I have been considering putting the LED light strips on the black edges around the glass but above the shade.  Then they are hidden from view, but could add some nice lighting at night, which is when i typically have the shade open.  I keep it closed during the day, too much sun and heat...

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 1:27 PM, FTCOne said:

Tiller - Based on these posts, it sounds like you have the Panoramic glass.  I have been considering putting the LED light strips on the black edges around the glass but above the shade.  Then they are hidden from view, but could add some nice lighting at night, which is when i typically have the shade open.  I keep it closed during the day, too much sun and heat...

That's a good idea.  I'll have to look at that.  I never thought of that.  It would be nice when sleeping in the TC to have overhead lights.  I'll check that out.  

Thanks!

Tiller