Ford Transit Connect Forum

Back up camera angle changed

Zarticus

The angle of My back up camera changed today. It was fine as always then the next time I went to back up I can now see the whole top of the rear bumper & even some of  the licence plate. There is also a - "minus" line on the lower left & what looks like a magnifier glass on the lower right. I thought maybe there was a zoom setting I activated by accident but I can't find anything that adjust the camera & can find nothing in the owners manual or online. I made sure the back hatch is shut all the way & checked the camera itself  & it is not loose. Here's a picture of what I see on the screen. Anyone have this happen or have any idea of whats going on ?. Thanks 

20170917_182654.jpg

Edited by Zarticus

I had a similar thing happen with my 2015 shortly after I bought it, although not with the symbols showing up. I had it checked for a broken mount or other failure at the next service and was told nothing was wrong, and it hasn't changed since. I think it might have been an issue with the parts seating during assembly. I'm just guessing here, but it seems like the camera may have been slightly misaligned during assembly and then settled in after a little bit of driving due to road vibration or a couple slam shuts of the liftgate. Then again, the dealer may have just blown me off and never checked it. But it doesn't seem to be shifting any more, so it may be normal.

11 hours ago, AVguy2 said:

It looks normal to me, as that is the same view we are getting on our camera.

It always had a clear view without seeing the bumper. All of a sudden it changed and shows 2 blue lines & below them a minus sign & what looks like a magnifying  glass which makes me think its in some kind of zoom mode ?

I have a TC with the swing doors.  My view has always included the   rear bumper.  I use mine for towing a lot and  I use the camera to line up the hitch so the view of the bumper is very good.    If some does find more focus options that would be very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading this thread I played with my backup camera. This is a 17' TC XLT cargo van with barn doors, Curt hitch and wiring and it has SYNC. Right away I discovered while in reverse if I push the third button over from the L like I was selecting something on the radio screen the camera picture magnifies. If I remember correctly it deletes the tracking lines and has more of a downward angle picture. It works really well for backing up to a trailer, in fact, it is very accurate! Oddly, to go back to the normal view I push the same button not the second button that lines up with the -  and it's default is always the normal view. 

I have the regular SYNC "non touch" system. I have no buttons that line up with anything on the screen. I have got nowhere with this & I'm thinking about maybe disconecting the battery for awhile & see if that does some kind of reset. I'm out of ideas & have tried every button there is. It's just weird how I never used to see the bumper & all of a sudden I can see the bumper & some of the lift gate along with the + & - signs showing up on screen !.

1 hour ago, Zarticus said:

I have the regular SYNC "non touch" system. I have no buttons that line up with anything on the screen. I have got nowhere with this & I'm thinking about maybe disconecting the battery for awhile & see if that does some kind of reset. I'm out of ideas & have tried every button there is. It's just weird how I never used to see the bumper & all of a sudden I can see the bumper & some of the lift gate along with the + & - signs showing up on screen !.

I also have the regular SYNC with a single CD player and looks like the generic pic I attached. There are 2 buttons each side of the volume knob below the other radio preset buttons and it is the third one over that changes the backup view. These are also the same buttons to choose options at the bottom of the screen. 

There is a very good chance  DonShockley is right on about the angle view change you experienced. Your picture looks exactly like my standard backup view with the 3 colored guide lines, dotted black center line and the bumper showing.

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpg

37 minutes ago, desert_connect said:

I also have the regular SYNC with a single CD player and looks like the generic pic I attached. There are 2 buttons each side of the volume knob below the other radio preset buttons and it is the third one over that changes the backup view. These are also the same buttons to choose options at the bottom of the screen. 

There is a very good chance  DonShockley is right on about the angle view change you experienced. Your picture looks exactly like my standard backup view with the 3 colored guide lines, dotted black center line and the bumper showing.

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpg

I have tried all 4 of those buttons & they do not do anything to the camera 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a used 2014 XLT with tons of options, and it has the rear back-up camera with rear "barn doors".  Here is how the back up camera view looks.  It shows the top of the rear bumper and the trailer hitch receiver.  I just noticed the view is "mirror image", so left and right are reversed.  Anyhow, it's the first vehicle I've owned with back-up camera.  Very nice feature, especially on a longer vehicle like the LWB transit connect, along with the proximity sensors to keep you from running into curbs and other obstacles.

IMG_4837.JPG