Ford Transit Connect Forum

turn off or shorten duration lights are on

I saw a setting in Forscan for Approach Mode. It was under one of the module configuration tabs  It was "on" in my application. I think this involves the exterior lights when the doors are unlocked and/or opened. You will need the extended license from Forscan to change this (I think it could be changed, but unsure what it will do). See my post for remote windows up. It has links to Forscan tutorials.

16 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I saw a setting in Forscan for Approach Mode. It was under one of the module configuration tabs  It was "on" in my application. I think this involves the exterior lights when the doors are unlocked and/or opened. You will need the extended license from Forscan to change this (I think it could be changed, but unsure what it will do). See my post for remote windows up. It has links to Forscan tutorials.

I got the extended license for Forscan (it's free, but you have to renew every 2 months) and tried to turn the approach lights off, but it didn't work for me. From what I'm seeing, I need to get the BCM updated and then it *should* work correctly. 

Windguy, when you read the BCM and other modules, save the file and keep it as a master copy. You can reload it to the BCM if you do mess something up, lol. 

6 minutes ago, Don Ridley said:

When the dealer updates the BCM it would make sense to have them also activate dark mode.

In an ideal scenario, yes, but my experience has proved otherwise. If the dealer can figure out how to do this then consider yourself lucky.

So far for me, two different dealers and two different techs at the second dealer were unable to successfully disable the approach lights.

And I'm not sure if any of the three techs successfully updated my 2015 TC BCM as required. Ford ETIS doesn't show it being updated, if that's accurate.

56 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

I got the extended license for Forscan (it's free, but you have to renew every 2 months) and tried to turn the approach lights off, but it didn't work for me. From what I'm seeing, I need to get the BCM updated and then it *should* work correctly. 

Windguy, when you read the BCM and other modules, save the file and keep it as a master copy. You can reload it to the BCM if you do mess something up, lol. 

Thanks jrm223. I can certainly follow that protocol saving original files, but there is some risk in the process whenever you start messing with something.

I'd still like to know if Forscan or FoCCCus program shows you the BCM version level. I'm still uncertain if mine has been properly update to the required "latest/post 2016 build" version.

I'd like you to check Ford ETIS for your VIN before and after you have your BCM updated to see if that BCM status changes.

Here's the link. First register and create a free account. Thanks!

https://www.etis.ford.com/home/about.do

On 4/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, windguy said:

Thanks jrm223. I can certainly follow that protocol saving original files, but there is some risk in the process whenever you start messing with something.

I'd still like to know if Forscan or FoCCCus program shows you the BCM version level. I'm still uncertain if mine has been properly update to the required "latest/post 2016 build" version.

I'd like you to check Ford ETIS for your VIN before and after you have your BCM updated to see if that BCM status changes.

Here's the link. First register and create a free account. Thanks!

https://www.etis.ford.com/home/about.do

Is this the right spot to check for current BCM version? I also see a History tab, which shows nothing.

Acronym   Description   Assembly Part No.   Software Part No.   Last Checked
BCM   Body Control Module (BCM)   DV6T-14A073-UM   DV6T-14C094-BH   08-12-14 21:51

On 4/18/2018 at 9:32 AM, jrm223 said:

Is this the right spot to check for current BCM version? I also see a History tab, which shows nothing.

Acronym   Description   Assembly Part No.   Software Part No.   Last Checked
BCM   Body Control Module (BCM)   DV6T-14A073-UM   DV6T-14C094-BH   08-12-14 21:51

Yes. Good job getting to that. Thanks

Your build date is probably 12/08/14 (ETIS shows dy-mo-yr)

Screen shot for mine is below. Build date is 10/29/14.

My HISTORY tab shows nothing as well.

I'm assuming this means the BCM was never updated.

Edited by BSUPC
User Requested.

17 hours ago, windguy said:

Yes. Good job getting to that. Thanks

Your build date is probably 12/08/14 (ETIS shows dy-mo-yr)

Screen shot for mine is below. Build date is 10/29/14.

My HISTORY tab shows nothing as well.

I'm assuming this means the BCM was never updated.

below is my screen shot

5ad8c08e6f256_FordEtisSoftwareSummary12-07-17.thumb.jpg.0beb392288f4d299c8e8c889e82b3a38.jpg

• 3 months later...

HELLO ALL YOU FELLOW HAPPY (DISGRUNTLED) CAMPERS.

Are you plain SICK AND TIRED of the STUPID "Perimeter lights" (aka: courtesy lights, courtesy lights, etc ad naseum) staying on when you are camping, in a quiet spot of the woods, wherever you wish to go unnoticed? I finally found / got the answer and the fix. It is as follows:

JULY 20 2018 _ DISABLING 2016 FORD TRANSIT CONNECT TITANIUM PERIMETER LIGHTING_POLICE DARK MODE (Please note: This will work for 2014-2017 Transit Connect vans):

SSM 46321 – (Dark mode) for 2014-2017 Transit Connect - Battery Drain Due to Frequent Door Openings and Approach Light Strategy).

Ford has come out with a firmware update for the TC's Body Control Module. When your vehicle's module had been updated with the new firmware, the tech will be able to access the menu to turn off the lighting. The software update and programming change was covered under warranty. Others TC owners confirm that the 2016 transit connect titanium can have this function disabled. At an online TC forum; many others with the same complaint were able to disable this feature under warrantee by having the “BCM” and/or the “PCM” upgraded/reprogrammed. After this is accomplished, the service tech needs to find the proper “box” to check off (disable) this “feature”.

Two steps to perform:

1) Update the BCM.  (If the vehicle was built on or before 11-Dec-2016, reprogram the BCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 103.05 and higher.  Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com. Prior year vans need to have the BCM updated first as step one of the SSM. Vans built after 12-11-16 already have the updates for the dark mode loaded in their BCM version).

2) Set the approach lights to dark mode.  For all vehicles access the BCM Configuration Parameters. Select -> Module Programming -> Programmable Parameters -> Personality -> Approach Light -> Choose “Disable” and follow the screen prompts to completion.  (It takes about 15 minutes). If there are problems setting the dark mode, (if the service technician can see the option in the programming, but it won't let him save the change or move out of that screen, it may be the programming device but probably not the van. Also, it may be that the PCM might have been updated instead of BCM. Disabling will not work without doing updating the BCM first if the Transit Connect was built prior to that 2016 date in the document). If this is the case, the dealer will have to update the BCM, then disable the perimeter lighting, then enable (again the perimeter lighting, then once again "disable" the perimeter lighting - AFTER performing the software/firmware update.

(Updated BCM codes: The SMM uses the term "Approach Light" per below:

The print out the dealer gave me for what my van BCM shows:  Approach Light - (BdyCM) = Disabled).

You can check the history of your vehicle at http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicle/softwareUpgrades.do -> Summary -> History (registration as an independent operator is mandatory - and free). This enables you to cross-check to see if any changes have occurred since your vehicle was first built. This means that you now have the means to verify statements made by dealers or garages. (If no updates to the BCM are flagged the dates shown are the original manufacture dates).

Police Dark (Stealth) Mode - keeps your interior (and Pony) lights off when you enter/exit/turn off vehicle BCM 726-32-01 : xxxx x?xx xxxx Change ? To: 0-Disable (off-default), 1-Enable (on)

When the dealer updates the BCM they need to activate dark mode. Check the Ford ETIS for your VIN before and after you have your BCM updated to see if that BCM status changes. Here's the link, (First register and create a free account: https://www.etis.ford.com/home/about.do

I am VERY please to state that my 2016 ford transit connect van (built Mar 14 2016) is now in the "Police Dark Mode" - and I am not waking / irritating any fellow campers around me, not draining my battery dead.

YEAHHHH...!!!! I wis the best for you. PS: There should be NO CHARGE from dealers to "update" this annoying software.

Mr peabody56

• 2 weeks later...

So glad to hear that some of you have been able to correct the annoying light things,  I think!  Quite a bit of technical jargon here, but, I think that some of you have been successful!  

So, how do us simple folks accomplish Dark Mode.  Is there a dealer that does this? Are any of you available to do this?  I am traveling across the country this August,and will be hitting lots of states.  I have a 2016 FTC Cargo, LWB>

Thanks

Babz

• 1 month later...

Add me to the "successful dark mode list" via Ford service, lol. Ford wouldn't cover the programming under my extended service plan, but the service manager discounted the cost since I would have to pay out-of-pocket. The odd thing here is that ETIS does not show any changes yet and I had the dark mode done last week. I haven't hooked up my laptop to it, yet - but I can definitely confirm that the lights don't come on anymore, so the BCM was definitely updated.

I also asked them to disable Bulb Minder because I prefer to turn features off instead of adding extra junk (ie resistors), but their tech wasn't able to get it disabled for some reason; strangely, the "bump to flash" flash pattern is now different than it used to be. Previously, it would give two normal flashes and then three fast flashes, but now it just gives five fast flashes. I'll take a look at Bulb Minder myself when I get around to hooking up my computer. 

ETIS01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a new 2018 Transit Connect XLT and it had the lights on while door open problem. Thanks to info posted here I was able to convince the dealer that this could be turned off in their software. They didn't charge for it but it did take a little convincing. I gave them a copy of the sequence posted in the forum for a 2017 Transit Connect. I asked later if it was correct and the service manager told me it was a little different for the 2018 BCM module. The service invoice said " Hooked up scan tool and turned off parking lamp function for when doors are open".

As for the bright led cargo light, there was no way to turn it off. I had to pull it out and unplug the contacts. I taped over the contact ends with electrical tape and secured it with a zip tie to the rear squirter hose just above. I didn't want to lose it into the cavity or have it flopping around. The light comes out by pressing in on either side to unsnap a plastic latch. You can press it in with a screw driver too if that's too hard on the fingers. I just snapped it back in after unplugging the contacts.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this problem. Hope Ford notices and makes this a user configurable feature that is off by default.

• 3 months later...

I took my 2018 Wagon to the local dealer (Serramonte Ford, Colma CA) today and requested they disable the approach lights on door open.  I supplied them with the the technical bulletin SSM-46321.

They took the vehicle and told me they would try to change the setting.  A couple hours later, I got a call back that they couldn't do it.  When I asked about SSM-46321, they said it didn't apply because my vehicle is a 2018.  They couldn't find any way to change the setting.

I'm not clear how hard they really tried.  The instructions seem pretty clear to me.  Either that setting does not exist in 2018 TCs, or they just couldn't figure it out.  They were nice about it so I assume they attempted something...

Anyway, I've ordered an obd2 scanner and a windows laptop.  Once I get those I will attempt to change the setting in the BCM myself via Forscan.  I will report back here, and write up a complete howto if I am successful.

4 minutes ago, phollenback said:

the local dealer (Serramonte Ford, Colma CA)

Last time I was there, they said that the technician noticed my timing cover has a leak.  Something I didn't see.  But they found it.  No worries.  It's covered under warranty.  I will be bringing the Transit Connect back in there in a few weeks for them to correct the issue.  A lot of work that I won't have to stress over doing myself, or paying someone else to do it.  

4 minutes ago, phollenback said:

Anyway, I've ordered an obd2 scanner and a windows laptop.  Once I get those I will attempt to change the setting in the BCM myself via Forscan.  I will report back here, and write up a complete howto if I am successful.

Wow!  You took the initiative to invest in a computer, to attempt what may or may not work.  Beers to you.  

Take screen shots of every step along the way.  Write it up, whether it works or not.  That way, we can see what you did, or tried to do.  FORScan is something we are all lacking knowledge using.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 8:23 AM, phollenback said:

I took my 2018 Wagon to the local dealer (Serramonte Ford, Colma CA) today and requested they disable the approach lights on door open.  I supplied them with the the technical bulletin SSM-46321.

They took the vehicle and told me they would try to change the setting.  A couple hours later, I got a call back that they couldn't do it.  When I asked about SSM-46321, they said it didn't apply because my vehicle is a 2018.  They couldn't find any way to change the setting.

I think the bulletin is only for older vehicles because the BCM needs to be updated so that the parameter is changeable.  In newer vehicles it already has the updated software and they should be able to change the settings in the central configuration without much work.  

But I might be wrong about all of this also, good luck 

1 hour ago, phollenback said:

I was able to change the setting on my own, using Forscan.  I am working on producing a detailed instruction sheet for it.

Great news. Good work!

Looking forward to seeing your notes.

As written earlier, two dealers were unable do make this change on my 2015 following the SSM after supposedly updating the BCM.

Is there a way to tell the BCM version using Forscan? I realize your 2018 already has a BCM version that has dark mode option available.

I'm guessing if the option to toggle dark mode is available then the BCM has been updated. Been a while since visiting this topic.

Edited by windguy

On 2/17/2019 at 11:07 PM, dinocarsfast said:

I think the bulletin is only for older vehicles because the BCM needs to be updated so that the parameter is changeable.  In newer vehicles it already has the updated software and they should be able to change the settings in the central configuration without much work.  

But I might be wrong about all of this also, good luck 

Below is the SSM info. Guessing it applies to 2018 and 2019 vehicles as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB 12651D4 reprogram BEC module SSM 46321 test 9002 WF Dark mode

SSM 46321 - 2014-2017 Transit Connect

Battery Drain Due to Frequent Door Openings and Approach Light Strategy

Some 2014-2017 Transit Connect vehicles may exhibit a condition that causes the battery to discharge. If normal battery drain diagnosis leads to no issues, it may be caused by the approach lights illuminating every time the body control module (BCM) receives a lock/unlock signal or opening any door. If the door remains open, the lights will remain illuminated for up to 10 minutes.

If the vehicle was built on or before 11-Dec-2016, reprogram the BCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 103.05 and higher.

For all vehicles, access the BCM Configuration Parameters. Select Module Programming, Programmable Parameters, Personality, Approach Light. Choose Disabled and follow the screen prompts to completion. Use causal part 14A068 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the SLTS manual.

Edited by windguy

On 2/8/2019 at 4:23 PM, phollenback said:

I took my 2018 Wagon to the local dealer (Serramonte Ford, Colma CA)

I was just there.  Service advisor said that he thinks that the perimeter lights can only be disabled on van models, not wagons.  I'm hoping that the techs know more than the service advisors.  

Ford has a website that shows what software was shipped based on VIN. Late builds in 2016 should have the BCM software that allows this selection. I think Forscan knows what features work based on version numbers and will show the option if it can be configured.

Service techs can't know all the details on every Ford. Believe what you learn in this and other Forums.

17 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

I was just there.  Service advisor said that he thinks that the perimeter lights can only be disabled on van models, not wagons.  I'm hoping that the techs know more than the service advisors.  

I have a 2014 XLT wagon. I took it in early in the year. They updated the BCM and turned the damned headlights/taillights off for me. The cabin lights I can switch off with the ceiling switches. The only thing I can't disable is the dash illumination, which still stubbornly stays on after the doors have been opened/shut.

So yeah, it can be done to wagons.

Like, Windguy, I have had my 2017 TC  van into two different dealers to turn the perimeter lights off without success. My van missed the newer BCM by about 2 weeks so the first dealer said he updated the BCM but still could not turn the lights off. The second dealer confirmed the first dealer did indeed update the BCM and also said he could not turn the lights off. Wished I knew what the secret was to successfully turing the stupid annoying lights off! 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, Don Ridley said:

I think Forscan knows what features work based on version numbers and will show the option if it can be configured.

Forscan showed me the option with my original 2015 BCM programming, but changing the setting didn't do anything. I haven't been back in the programming since I had the dealer shut them off for me, I ought to try it some time to see if I can successfully turn the option on and then back off... Maybe I'll give the global windows another try, too lol. They didn't work for me with the original BCM programming.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:26 PM, desert_connect said:

Like, Windguy, I have had my 2017 TC  van into two different dealers to turn the perimeter lights off without success. My van missed the newer BCM by about 2 weeks so the first dealer said he updated the BCM but still could not turn the lights off. The second dealer confirmed the first dealer did indeed update the BCM and also said he could not turn the lights off. Wished I knew what the secret was to successfully turing the stupid annoying lights off! 

Have you tried using Forscan to play with it yourself? Where in the Southern plains are you? I'm about an hour south of Wichita Falls, Texas and have used Forscan to turn on cruise control after swapping in a CC steering wheel in my XL van. 

Global Windows only works if all windows have one touch open/close.

I remember several guys tried to activate the dark mode option without success. Then a forum member found out the BCM needed to be updated. Many options in Forscan don't work due to the numerous vehicles, program versions and countries it tries to cover. But overall it gives the consumer a tool to bypass reluctant and expensive dealerships. And it's free!