Ford Transit Connect Forum

Custom Build

Hello,
My name is Adrian, I am with Splash Carpentry and I have created the van protection in the video for one of our vans. I am planning to create a prototype for every type of van sold in the U.S. . It takes a huge amount of time to measure everything. In order to save this time, I will use a very sofisticated laser system to scan the interiors of the vans. Instead of spending a week for a van, it will be 20 minutes. 
If there is anybody in Chicagoland area ( I am located in Linconwood) interested to let me scan their van for this purpose, I would really appreciate it. 
I will try the dealers too but it's hard to convince a Ford dealer to help you when you park a Sprinter in front of his office.

https://youtu.be/A2Vbv1w6b90

Edited by Splash Carpentry

17 hours ago, Splash Carpentry said:

but it's hard to convince a Ford dealer to help you when you park a Sprinter in front of his office.

It's just business.  Nobody cares if they can make a buck.  The owner of my local dealership drives a Corvette.  And why not?  He can afford it, and it's a nice car.  

A lot of companies that make aftermarket performance parts will ask for customers to volunteer their vehicles for testing.  In most cases, the customer gets nothing in fiscal compensation.  And at the end of testing, their vehicle is typically returned to stock, unless the manufacturer allows the customer to buy the product.  Perhaps in a few rare cases, the customer is allowed to keep the product free of charge as compensation.  But that would all depend on the item.  If you were the guinea pig for performance parts, which may make your car better, you also take the chance of the performance part failing and doing damage to your car.  And typically, at the end of the testing, they cannot by law allow you to keep the item, because it is not street legal yet.  Once the manufacturer is done testing with your vehicle, they still have to obtain government approval to make and sell the item.....sometimes it's safety, other times it involves clean air regulations....but no, you cannot keep that exhaust system, super charger, underdrive pulley, intake, turbo, et cetera.

Good luck with the marketing.  I don't know how well you'll do with direct to end user sales, since a lot of people don't even want to change their own oil or paint their own house.  Very few people will want to do that kind of an install on their own.    You may have better luck with custom upfitters, showing it at car shows like SEMA, and looking for a nationwide distributor to do the selling for you, so that you can focus on producing the product.  

On 9/8/2017 at 5:06 PM, mrtn said:

Looks great. How does it work with condensation due to sudden temperature changes?

I drove the van from Chicago to LA then to San Francisco, Las Vegas and back to Chicago.  We have huge temperature changes here in Chicago and also humidity. So far, nothing to worry about. 

On 9/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, Fifty150 said:

It's just business.  Nobody cares if they can make a buck.  The owner of my local dealership drives a Corvette.  And why not?  He can afford it, and it's a nice car.  

A lot of companies that make aftermarket performance parts will ask for customers to volunteer their vehicles for testing.  In most cases, the customer gets nothing in fiscal compensation.  And at the end of testing, their vehicle is typically returned to stock, unless the manufacturer allows the customer to buy the product.  Perhaps in a few rare cases, the customer is allowed to keep the product free of charge as compensation.  But that would all depend on the item.  If you were the guinea pig for performance parts, which may make your car better, you also take the chance of the performance part failing and doing damage to your car.  And typically, at the end of the testing, they cannot by law allow you to keep the item, because it is not street legal yet.  Once the manufacturer is done testing with your vehicle, they still have to obtain government approval to make and sell the item.....sometimes it's safety, other times it involves clean air regulations....but no, you cannot keep that exhaust system, super charger, underdrive pulley, intake, turbo, et cetera.

Good luck with the marketing.  I don't know how well you'll do with direct to end user sales, since a lot of people don't even want to change their own oil or paint their own house.  Very few people will want to do that kind of an install on their own.    You may have better luck with custom upfitters, showing it at car shows like SEMA, and looking for a nationwide distributor to do the selling for you, so that you can focus on producing the product.  

A lot of companies that make aftermarket performance parts will ask for customers to volunteer their vehicles for testing.  In most cases, the customer gets nothing in fiscal compensation.  And at the end of testing, their vehicle is typically returned to stock, unless the manufacturer allows the customer to buy the product.  Perhaps in a few rare cases, the customer is allowed to keep the product free of charge as compensation.  But that would all depend on the item.  If you were the guinea pig for performance parts, which may make your car better, you also take the chance of the performance part failing and doing damage to your car.  And typically, at the end of the testing, they cannot by law allow you to keep the item, because it is not street legal yet.  Once the manufacturer is done testing with your vehicle, they still have to obtain government approval to make and sell the item.....sometimes it's safety, other times it involves clean air regulations....but no, you cannot keep that exhaust system, super charger, underdrive pulley, intake, turbo, et cetera.
Good luck with the marketing.  I don't know how well you'll do with direct to end user sales, since a lot of people don't even want to change their own oil or paint their own house.  Very few people will want to do that kind of an install on their own.    You may have better luck with custom upfitters, showing it at car shows like SEMA, and looking for a nationwide distributor to do the selling for you, so that you can focus on producing the product.  0

Thank you for your imput. I think I just have to take it step by step, talk to dealers, mechanics and try to promote online. I am about to launch it on kickstarter. You are 100% right about people not wanting to do anything by themselves. I am way too far from a nationwide distributor. At full capacity, we cannot deliver more than 20 packages a week. But considering I was working alone in a garage less than 5 years ago, I take your message as a reward for my efforts. It wont be easy to build this business but it will certainly be fun. 

15 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Dang, I was just up in Chicagoland (Des Plaines) last week. But, the false floor of my van has some heavy-use damage, so it's not the best van for measuring things to make a kit anyhow.

Dang, I was just up in Chicagoland (Des Plaines) last week. But, the false floor of my van has some heavy-use damage, so it's not the best van for measuring things to make a kit anyhow.   

Thank you for thinking about it though. 

Maybe you could also think along the lines of upfitting a cargo van into a prisoner transport vehicle.  Build a cage with a locking door, benches, and seat belts.  Little locking cubbyholes for storing extra belly chains, shackles, et cetera.  Perhaps design the front cabin to be a little roomier by moving the bulkhead back so that the prisoner cage is in the 3rd row area, and the 2nd row area is used to accommodate equipment such as fire extinguishers, flares, jump start power pack, first aid kit, shotgun, et cetera.  Prisoner comfort is never a consideration, so you wouldn't need more than a pop-up roof vent.  Think marketing along the lines of private prisoner transport companies.  Yes, along with private, for profit, correctional institutions, there are private, for profit, prisoner transport companies that extradite arrested persons across the country.  And just like private security companies who will put flashing lights on compact cars for parking lot patrols, private prisoner transport has to have fuel efficient vehicles that they can drive across the country.  A Transit Connect could be extremely efficient in comparison to transporting one fugitive over 1,000 miles in an Econoline E-350.

• 2 weeks later...

Splash Carpentry, this is a cool idea. I don't know that I'd want a whole panel package but roof and sidewalls would be great. If you are ever in SE MI, I'd be happy to let you measure my 2016 TC LWB Cargo van. Good luck!

Edited by jmacken37

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 10:49 AM, jmacken37 said:

Splash Carpentry, this is a cool idea. I don't know that I'd want a whole panel package but roof and sidewalls would be great. If you are ever in SE MI, I'd be happy to let you measure my 2016 TC LWB Cargo van. Good luck!

Thank you for appreciating our efforts. We will launch our idea on Kickstarter on Nov.1st and we will develop a kit or partial kits for each model. We will get back to you by the end of November, hopefully with the good news. 

• 1 month later...

We just launched a very ambitious campaign on Kickstarter hoping that in a few years we will be able to have a van protection kit for every model sold in the United States. Please let us know what you think. Your opinion is very important to us. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855385287/van-protection-kit

I like what you have done, and like anyone else in business, someone will ask for something you have not provided for, lol.  In a world in which folks are doing everything they can to save money, I believe an elevated bed would be a good addition.  I've often wondered about heavy canvass that could be pulled out and let in like a window shade.  It would be a good option.  :drool: Best of luck to you in your campaign!

Edited by Loafer
I'm a brainless moron,.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:00 AM, Loafer said:

I like what you have done, and like anyone else in business, someone will ask for something you have not provided for, lol.  In a world in which folks are doing everything they can to save money, I believe an elevated bed would be a good addition.  I've often wondered about heavy canvass that could be pulled out and let in like a window shade.  It would be a good option.  :drool: Best of luck to you in your campaign!

First we will create a basic product for every van, then we will start manufacturing customized orders; 

• 4 weeks later...