Sign in to follow this  
Doc Hoy

Engine runs rough at idle, idles too low

if the catalyst is coated the Cataclean will help, but if the grid is plugged with carbon or dirt  it won't

Not sure where the cat is on the gen 1 . on the gen2 it is part of the head pipe so there is no chance of clearing that one. 

Got it.

On Gen 1s, there are two CCs in series. First is about a foot downstream from the exhaust manifold. Second is further back. First O2 sensor is not called an O2 sensor. It is referred to as the "catalytic converter monitor sensor." The second is after the first converter and referred to as an O2 sensor. 

if there is a blockage it will be the first converter.

The trouble code  P141A has turned out  to be an EGR code.  If the EGR valve is not fully closing for the idle it would definitely affect the idle and lower the power.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p141a_ford.html

My scanner arrives on 22 Sept.

I'll mess with it then and post some comments.

Mechanic never got an EGR code to come up.

OOOOPS. I got it backwards.

I said, " On Gen 1s, there are two CCs in series. First is about a foot downstream from the exhaust manifold. Second is further back. First O2 sensor is not called an O2 sensor. It is referred to as the "catalist monitor sensor." The second is after the first converter and referred to as an O2 sensor. "

The CMS is after the converter and the O2 sensor is before.

It does not mater what you call it.  The pressure gauge needs to go in the port nearest the engine.

If you have the right scanner you  can test the EGR.

That EGR Reference was for a different post. It would cause your symptoms also.

Bought some Cataclean and some injector cleaner on today. Monday.

As soon as I get a moment free I will try the Cataclean. I'll wait on the injector cleaner. I will not use them at the same time.

I am really anxious to try this Code Reader. I did a good bit of comparison between the low cost (under a hundred) readers available. According to the various write-ups, the Ancel 410 came out slightly on top.

All of the write-ups are vague on how comprehensive the readers are  in terms of the data they return. It came down to a couple of unimportant factors: Screen size and characteristics or data presentation. Length of the cable. Front panel controls. Speed of delivery to my mailbox. Finally price. The Ancel was the most expensive but on top in all other categories.

The rest of this week is monumentally busy at the restaurant so it won't be until prolly Monday but I'll give y'all a report on how I like it.

I got my scanner about three days early so I messed with it a bit this evening. I cleared the emission system codes and they stayed off but I imagine they will be back on by tomorrow evening. I read the engine codes and found a Random Multiple Misfire code. I have a fail on number 2 but that only happened once in about three minutes. No other individual cylinder codes coming up. Now I do not get a code on any individual cylinders.

I might add that I read codes on my other 1TC and got no codes and the dashboard reflects no codes.

I dumped a can of Sea Foam into the gas tank (full) in the hopes of getting (or keeping) the fuel system clear. We shall see.

So far, I like the scanner. Easy to use. Senses the VIN. I have to get better at using it to really tell if it is helpful. As I only paid 40 bucks for it , I don't feel too bad.

Tnx,

Doc