Ford Transit Connect Forum

Finally installed my Curt Hitch receiver

Bought the day after I bought the TC, about 3 months back.

Got my son in law to help, actually he did the bulk of the work ;) His name is Curt!

Forget the front, but the back goes up a set of ramps easy, no prob.

Had to grind off a little off the bolt heads to get them to fit up in the designated frame holes. Took under an hour total. Looks good.

Took the time to show my wife the minor ClusterFred it takes to get the spare tire in and out. You have to disconnect the main cable from the fitting and unscrew the safety cable from the fitting. Even though she won't be the one doing it, she needs to be able to explain it to a Good Samaritan.

We measured carefully to center the receiver before torquing it in and kept the throat pretty much even with the bumper face. So it sticks out far less than the factory hitch.

Next, the wiring harness. Probably this weekend.

When I installed my wiring harness, to power up the module, I ran the power line under the carpet alongside the green wire to the passenger side and hooked up to the fuse box in the cargo area. My manual says that F26 (not used) is 40A and for accessories, trailer tow module, so I connected to it with a spade connector and the 10A  fuse holder supplied. The one thing I would do differently, is install the module on the right side, next to the fuses. That would require lengthening the left side wires, but would allow to use the hole in the wheel well that is there to run the flat plug through it; slice the plastic cap to run the wires, then fix it with some caulking. I believe the OEM module gets installed that way on the right hand side, hence the presence of the hole and cap. I duplicated that hole on the left side, and that was painful, but I didn't want to cut and splice wires at the time.

• 2 months later...

just mount the harness as you suggested in the passenger side cargo area.  Connect the left side harness into the right side taillights and do the right side harness into the left side taillights.  Use the hole on the right side for the flat plug.  Now only issue is right and left side turn signals on flat plug are reversed.  Go the Harbor freight and buy 5 foot flat plug extension harness.  cut and reverse green and yellow wires on extension,  cut and solder wires and use heat shrink tubing to seal.  Now the flat extension plug harness has left and right turn signals correct.  You will need the extension anyway to have enough wire to reach the hitch \ trailer. 

25 minutes ago, G B L said:

Is the right and left reversed at the plug?

I cut the yellow and green input wires a few inches from the side of the control box and spliced them back together using butt connectors. Yellow to green and green to yellow. The longer green T plugs into the left side taillights and turns to yellow before entering the C-box, opposite colors on the right side and all is well. The splices are inside and dry. This was easy and seemed to be the least invasive way to achieve my goals.