Ford Transit Connect Forum

Locking easy fuel plug ?

The refueling process on our van leaves much to be desired

If you click on the pump handle and let it run and quit  when the pump clicks off, it works fine, but if you try and add even a little more fuel (maybe to get to an even dollar amount) you end up with a gas smell inside the vehicle

I'm not sure why this happens, because if you add the last few gallons v e r y  s l o w l y you can easily get another 2 or 2 1/2 gallons more into the tank . . . . with no gas smell, but you've gotta do it very slowly and before the pump clicks off

When it clicks off I drive maybe 20 or 25 miles and I can see the gauge come off the full mark, but if I slowly add the last few gallons, I can drive 50 or even 60 miles before the gauge comes away from the full mark  -  Anyone else notice this?  There is obviously more room in the top of the tank when the pump clicks off  -  Why the gas smell in the vehicle when I try to add half a gallon more???

Don

I, too, have noticed the gas smell when trying to top off. I actually started following Ford's advice from the owner's manual. Only click it once after the auto pump shutoff and then wait several seconds before removing the nozzle. No more interior gas smell. Even drips on the filler area cause the smell.

i think the fuel filler moldings attached to the body panel in a poor design, allowing leakage into the interior of vapors if gas gets on the outside of the molding. Gas stench EVERY time if you use that adapter and a gas can. I no longer rotate my gas stocked in my gas cans with this vehicle.

I have only used a few tankfuls (LPG mostly) so I have no good statistics but quite right, the needle drops pretty much in the first stretch of driving if I don't go crazy with multiple restarts.

Never had fuel fumes in the cabin tho.

There is a complicated vapor recovery system on the TC and all newer vehicles. (Vapors from the gas tank are adsorbed into a carbon cannisters  and later fed (desorbed) into the engine). Topping off the tank may be affecting this system. The F-150s capless system has a flaw and Ford was heavily penalized by California regulators. Maybe your fume smelling is related to this flaw? Maybe you are pushing liquid gas into the vapor recovery path? 

I don't top-off and have never smelled gas fumes. FYI, the vapor recovery system is the reason you don't smell gas fumes as you fill the tank.

yes mine is a easy fuel cap less  system , and I just wanted a extra protection from tampering or vandalism .  ford must have more than one design because this locking cap I purchased definitely does not fit my van   and cant seen to find one that does . 

Edited by Bart Luther

My motorcycle fuel tank cap does not have a key.  Nobody's siphoned off my 3.5 gallons of fuel yet.

I'm guessing that even for the really desperate, starting the siphon action by sucking up a mouthful of fuel through a garden hose hasn't been done since the 70's.  

14 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

A prepared thief simply drills a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank.

I agree  -  Even if you have 'all the right stuff' it's next to impossible to siphon fuel out of ANY modern vehicle.  Much simpler (and quicker) for a thief to drill a hole in the plastic tank and let it run into a bucket

Don

The path for the siphon tube into the tank is the biggest deterrent to that type of theft. The biggest worry for me is some one pouring a contaminated liquid into the tank. Filling the tank with medium flow does a good job getting the tank full.  

If it is a cap less fuel system then that means they have already popped the window out and unlocked the door just to be able to reach the fuel port. Missing gas at this point is the least of the worries. In my neck of the woods if they have gotten that far, you do not have the van anymore or the gas.  Now the odor of gas in the cabin is a real problem. 

Edited by BSUPC
I can not spell.

BSUPC, what are you talking about with popping windows out and unlocking doors?? I don't know about wagons, but my 2015 cargo van TC doesn't have a latching/locking fuel door. Just walk up to the van and open the fuel door...

As for the worry about "contaminated liquids" or sugar, etc - the prankster/vandal or crazy ex-girlfriend would need to know to bring the right funnel with them like what's in our glove boxes. See this post about "proper fuel nozzle" to release the latches on the fuel door. Now that I see this, I'll have to try inserting different funnels that I have to see what happens - if this image is right, the funnels won't fit if they aren't the right diameter, interesting.

easyfuelschmatic[1].jpg

That funnel is an interesting accessory.  I asked the salesperson (female) at the dealership about it, and she didn't know what it was for.  I planted the idea in her head that it was something used to facilitate stand up urination for females.  

51ZSN5rW5vL.jpg

• 51ZSN5rW5vL.jpg
Click to open expanded view

4 Pcs Female Urination Device ,Travel Camping Outdoor Standing Pee Reusable Urinal Women Funnel Portable Urine Urinary

Price: $15.98 
Sale: $7.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

That funnel is an interesting accessory.  I asked the salesperson (female) at the dealership about it, and she didn't know what it was for.  I planted the idea in her head that it was something used to facilitate stand up urination for females. 

You are my hero.

22 hours ago, jrm223 said:

BSUPC, what are you talking about with popping windows out and unlocking doors?? I don't know about wagons, but my 2015 cargo van TC doesn't have a latching/locking fuel door. Just walk up to the van and open the fuel door...

This is the only capless fuel system I have dealt with on a Ford. It was on a Ford Transit 250 I had the pleasure of playing around with. You have to physically open the drivers side door before the fuel door can be opened to reveal the fuel port. But it sounds like you are describing something completely different. So I guess Ford decided to change something between the Transit and the Connects. 

18 hours ago, BSUPC said:

This is the only capless fuel system I have dealt with on a Ford. It was on a Ford Transit 250 I had the pleasure of playing around with. You have to physically open the drivers side door before the fuel door can be opened to reveal the fuel port. But it sounds like you are describing something completely different. So I guess Ford decided to change something between the Transit and the Connects.

That's a nice design.  I kind of like that.  But no.  At least on the TC Titanium's (in the U.S), the refill is on the passenger side, rear panel.  I love the capless refill.  Faster and cleaner.

Tiller