Ford Transit Connect Forum

best location for secondary deep cycle battery for rv conversion

I have a 2017 Transit connect with the long wheel base. I am interested in using the cargo area as a mini RV. I have not seen an answer as to where is best to install a secondary deep cycle battery. I was told that the storage compartment under the passenger seat was supposedly designed for this? I do not believe that is vented so only an AGM should be used? I read there is a spot for a cable run in the firewall already? Any help or suggestions are appreciated-Joel.

I think that there could be several good locations depending on the Camper build.  If an AGM is on the pricey side then a sealed battery would also do.  The biggest concern is the protection of the Positive and negative connections.  The Possibility of a major league short circuit  must be avoided.

I can't suggest the best, but what I did for my retirement road trip connect (2013) is build a wood frame of compartments and the battery sits in one.  There is a pic, 9th pic down in the link below, the battery sits between the AC and the refrig.  I am now thinking to add a second in parallel. I decided to keep all my wiring separate from  Ford's (except for the added backup camera).  I used the chassis seat belt's mounting hole for grounding my wiring. 

• 2 months later...

I have 2 aux batteries in my setup. I ran the alternator cable through the grommet with the stock wiring on the passenger side of my 2016. There's not a lot of room there, but I wasn't able to find another place to feed it through without requiring the use of a drill and some primer. As far as placement. Depending on the size, they will fit under the floor extension (see my build thread for some photos of this), but in my case, it wasn't a good fit. I did the same thing as Glenn and built a box for them directly behind the front seats.

I have 2 aux batteries in my setup. I ran the alternator cable through the grommet with the stock wiring on the passenger side of my 2016. There's not a lot of room there, but I wasn't able to find another place to feed it through without requiring the use of a drill and some primer. As far as placement. Depending on the size, they will fit under the floor extension (see my build thread for some photos of this), but in my case, it wasn't a good fit. I did the same thing as Glenn and built a box for them directly behind the front seats.