Ford Transit Connect Forum

Passenger seat fold flat?

Tnick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have 2018 XL Passenger that looks to have the passenger folding seat with plastic back, but I do not know how to fold it, and the manual does not show it. Can anyone here tell me the steps on folding it? My passenger front seat has a plastic pull near the headrest on the left side so I assume this is part of the design since no other seats in my TC have this. Thank you in advance.

At least in 2016, it's not the XL vs XLT that determined whether your passenger seat folds flat, it's whether you had leather or not. This feature is the main reason I had to find a wagon without leather.

As a side note, here's a photo from an upcoming 2019 model. Looks like the seat upholstering has changed, and you can see the passenger seat folded forward just as on the earlier models:

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.46.05 PM.png

Another 2019 picture, but outside of the refresh to the interior materials and center stack, this is just how a 2014+ looks.

ProTip: Make sure the seatback in its fully upright position before you fold it forward, for maximum flatness.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 6.51.05 PM.png

Edited by Slonie

I have this crazy flat passenger seat. It’s not very comfortable for sitting for long periods of time as the padding is thin. The seat base also flips up fully so there’s an empty space in place of the seat.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:14 AM, mrtn said:

I have this crazy flat passenger seat. It’s not very comfortable for sitting for long periods of time as the padding is thin. The seat base also flips up fully so there’s an empty space in place of the seat.

Oh yeah! I think I read in another thread that you ordered it from Germany? Would love to see the details on it...

I'm in Europe, I bought it in this configuration. I think I mentioned in another thread that you can order a LHD version from Germany or any other LHD European country as UK has it in the wrong (they claim it to be the correct) side.

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, G B L said:

This is the illustration for a 2016. Yours should be the same.

Does this release lever pull hard? 

I have put about all of the force I dare to until I get an answer to the question.

On 3/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, G B L said:

This is the illustration for a 2016. Yours should be the same.5aa1bac4c74fd_FoldingSeatback.thumb.png.63e81796e7e9942b8028a5a21f06b6ce.png

Should this release pull hard?  I have put about as much force as I dare until I get an answer to the question.

2 hours ago, Billmnfl said:

Does this release lever pull hard? 

I have put about all of the force I dare to until I get an answer to the question.

My '17 pass seat release lever requires more effort than one would think necessary and the handle travel is much greater too. I thought I'd break the handle or the linkage before I finally got it to release on the third attempt when it was new. I've used it numerous times now and it works slightly better than the first time but far from an easy smooth operation. It is almost like the lube used got sticky but it does seem to latch okay. I may add it to the list of things for the dealer to do before the 36 months are up.  

7 hours ago, desert_connect said:

My '17 pass seat release lever requires more effort than one would think necessary and the handle travel is much greater too. I thought I'd break the handle or the linkage before I finally got it to release on the third attempt when it was new. I've used it numerous times now and it works slightly better than the first time but far from an easy smooth operation. It is almost like the lube used got sticky but it does seem to latch okay. I may add it to the list of things for the dealer to do before the 36 months are up.  

Well, I have lifted it up about one inch from the back and it appears to be attached to something, but it just won't budge.  I have jiggled the seat back and still nothing.  I am going to the dealer tuesday due to some scraping in the rear brakes.  I will ask them then how to work the front seat folding.  Thank you for your advice.

Bill

Thanks  for the answer Double Nickles and desert_connect.

I wiggled and jiggled and pulled forward on the seat back while I pulled the handle with increasing force and it finally moved.

It did take some force and raising the latch quite high.

Hope this helps someone else with the problem.

Thanks again,

Billmnfl