Ford Transit Connect Forum

Light weight foam cabinets

Been doing a lot of searching on custom camper van builds and stumbled on foam light weight cabinets ideas .from what I have read sounds like a good idea for someone like me who doesn't have any real experience or tools for wood .I am ready to try my hands at it and purchase tools but now rethinking about foam .does anyone have an opinion on foam vs wood for a light weight Transit connect build ? Maybe a combination of both Here is a link to some information I found http://intothemystery13.com/ultra-light-weight-foam-construction-technique/

The foam may have some good uses Bart, especially if light weight is important to you.  The concept has apparently been used in van builds, so it has a track record.  It might be interesting to investigate it a bit further to learn how the cabinets hold up over time.  One thought I would have is foam toxicity.  If foam is made non-toxic today then it would be worth pursuing.  No doubt it would lend itself to very creative builds.  When built it would probably be wise to spray it with a flame retardant as well. I had not imagined this idea before so it would be interesting to follow along.  :rockon:

Toxicity is a concern thanks for mention that ! I think I will play around with foam sometime in the near future but for now will stick with wood . I have used up my research time aleady and need to start my build. I do want to keep it simple and light and I think I can accomplish that with the path I am already on . When time allows I will dive into to some foam experimentation because it is an I intriguing idea. 

Birch is a strong and light wood.  Our build was a raw build, built for function.  He carries cargo below a raised bed.  The bed sits on four posts.  There are no cabinets in ours.  Yours sounds like a more complete build.  Good luck with it all.  :hi5:

Birch , good suggestion. I will look into it .when I looked at plywood it seemed very heavy to me ,I am no expert but when it comes down to it I can't even stand up in my van so I don't need to build a dance floor ? Thanks for the suggestion!