Ford Transit Connect Forum

my 2016 connect LWB cargo mini camper build

No portholes, no crushed velvet, if I still had my 65 econoline, then yes to both.

night 2 in the van on this trip. Happy that my fan doesn't leak in the rain. We're just shy of 1000 miles from home. Also, zero condensation in the van, very happy about that.

materials wise for the next phase, I have the sound deadener I used earlier, then it will get some MLV, then 3m thinsulate. As for panels/covers, it'll all be grey, various shades, and likely a stiff cloth, maybe vinyl. Going to add some storage pockets to the back upper panels for stuff like wallet and keys etc. 

thanks for riding along.

17 hours ago, Colby C said:

No portholes, no crushed velvet, if I still had my 65 econoline, then yes to both.

night 2 in the van on this trip. Happy that my fan doesn't leak in the rain. We're just shy of 1000 miles from home. Also, zero condensation in the van, very happy about that.

materials wise for the next phase, I have the sound deadener I used earlier, then it will get some MLV, then 3m thinsulate. As for panels/covers, it'll all be grey, various shades, and likely a stiff cloth, maybe vinyl. Going to add some storage pockets to the back upper panels for stuff like wallet and keys etc. 

thanks for riding along.

You're next round of mods sound great. Looking forward to hearing more about and then seeing the finished job.

Glad your trip is going well. You're learning as you drive and camp.

Hopefully you're getting some decent sleep in the back of the van. Where have you been parking at night?

Godspeed!

21 hours ago, windguy said:

You're next round of mods sound great. Looking forward to hearing more about and then seeing the finished job.

Glad your trip is going well. You're learning as you drive and camp.

Hopefully you're getting some decent sleep in the back of the van. Where have you been parking at night?

Godspeed!

I've been camping and driving, and or camping off a motorcycle for my whole life. 

I have near 15k miles on this van and it's 6 months and 3 days old.

weve been staying at camp grounds, mostly KOA's as they're easy to pull in late, and usually have openings. The hot showers are definite bonus (don't forget your flip flops) 

night 3 we stayed in a army corps of engineers property, was neat, on a bayou, but man, the bugs were horrible, and the showers........ pass. But a cool spot to knock out for the night. 

Did 720 miles today. Only 60 or so more to go til overland expo east. Van is pulling the little trailer fine, it's got about 1600lbs of weight total behind it, and it tows it very well. 

Hammer down.

3 hours ago, Colby C said:

I've been camping and driving, and or camping off a motorcycle for my whole life. 

I have near 15k miles on this van and it's 6 months and 3 days old.

weve been staying at camp grounds, mostly KOA's as they're easy to pull in late, and usually have openings. The hot showers are definite bonus (don't forget your flip flops) 

night 3 we stayed in a army corps of engineers property, was neat, on a bayou, but man, the bugs were horrible, and the showers........ pass. But a cool spot to knock out for the night. 

Did 720 miles today. Only 60 or so more to go til overland expo east. Van is pulling the little trailer fine, it's got about 1600lbs of weight total behind it, and it tows it very well. 

Hammer down.

Good update. Despite all the driving I think you're having a good time. Enjoy!

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Colby C said:

thanks for riding along.

e8562d45f2ae420aa4babc7e4c5f8b4c--cargo-van-s-style.jpg

If only the tires and wheels were available for the TC today. Had a '71 back in the day. I think I'm having flashbacks...........

23 hours ago, Colby C said:

The hot showers are definite bonus (don't forget your flip flops) 

the bugs were horrible, and the showers........ pass.

Showers are only for those who care about hygiene.  

I've been on motorcycle rides with guys who only cared about drinking beer, and pissing........and they smelled like it too.  

You try not to make a habit out of smelling outlaw bikers.......but with some of these guys.......you're not tough enough until you stop bathing.  It doesn't matter that you can hold your own in a bar fight, and you've stabbed more people more people before lunch, than some people do their whole lives.  You're still a sissy because you like to keep clean.  Honestly, I can only handle so much brotherhood when my brothers stink like rotten fish and urine.  Darn it all with all the hugging and kissing, just because you have the same patches sewn onto your jacket.  

well, things got busy, and i was out of cell/wifi area a lot, so not much more to update.

I'm home. had a good trip. 

the last day, wednesday, i left my sisters in eastern Oklahoma, and drove 1455 miles, straight thru, gas n go. 23 hours. 

so, heres the details y'all want....

4809 miles

204.589 gallons

$524.29 in fuel costs.

so, 23.506 Mpg, towing a trailer, at 70+mph the whole time

or 10.9 cents per mile in fuel

im ok with that.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:26 PM, Fifty150 said:

Showers are only for those who care about hygiene.  

I've been on motorcycle rides with guys who only cared about drinking beer, and pissing........and they smelled like it too.  

You try not to make a habit out of smelling outlaw bikers.......but with some of these guys.......you're not tough enough until you stop bathing.  It doesn't matter that you can hold your own in a bar fight, and you've stabbed more people more people before lunch, than some people do their whole lives.  You're still a sissy because you like to keep clean.  Honestly, I can only handle so much brotherhood when my brothers stink like rotten fish and urine.  Darn it all with all the hugging and kissing, just because you have the same patches sewn onto your jacket.  

i have been there myself.

im ok, one day without a shower, but by the end of the second day, I'm lookin for something, river, lake, shower, something to get wet and knock the sweat/dust/dirt off. 

baby wipes work in a pinch, and are better than nothing, but if theres a shower, I'm taking it. 

15 hours ago, windguy said:

@Colby C - thanks for the update. Glad you had a good trip.

You are a driving machine doing 23 hrs straight - holy cow! :shift:

Looking forward to your next van mod.

yeah, I'm an animal behind the wheel. or behind bars (motorcycle bars) for that matter. 

shoot, i didnt even stop to piss til kingman. 

Wow, that's some sweet work on the conversion. I also returned from a long road trip through several western states. I averaged 26mpg on 3200 miles. I noticed fuel mileage dropped pretty fast over 75mph, went through Utah also at 80mph+

Additionally, also got a cracked windshield on the way into Flagstaff, AZ. A local windshield shop fixed it at 8am the next morning, took 25 minutes and cost $35, gave him $40 and keep the change, and off I went. Seattle traffic is a major bitch, reminiscent of LA traffic. Great post!

For so many years, I drove around in commercial cargo vans, wishing I had an interior, with seats, and some insulation.  Now, I wish I didn't have all that interior.  Panels and headliners get in the way when you are doing modifications.  Just imagine if you had a headliner, interior lights, and wiring sandwiched between the headliner and roof.  What a pain it would have been to remove all that stuff, since the 3rd row interior light and wiring harness would be just about in that same position, and you can't run the risk of cutting the wiring.  There there's making the cuts into the headliner, and sourcing & fabricating trim panels to fit in with the headliner.

5 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

For so many years, I drove around in commercial cargo vans, wishing I had an interior, with seats, and some insulation.  Now, I wish I didn't have all that interior.  Panels and headliners get in the way when you are doing modifications.  Just imagine if you had a headliner, interior lights, and wiring sandwiched between the headliner and roof.  What a pain it would have been to remove all that stuff, since the 3rd row interior light and wiring harness would be just about in that same position, and you can't run the risk of cutting the wiring.  There there's making the cuts into the headliner, and sourcing & fabricating trim panels to fit in with the headliner.

yeah, i guess its 6 in one hand/half dozen in the other.

eventually, this will have a full interior, interior lights, etc etc. but to hell with all the seats. its just me and the wife. if I'm being even more realistic with myself, i doubt ill have this van longer than 1.5 years, and ill be onto something else. it will likely never get fully finished. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mrtn said:

Rooftop pop-up tent follows?

No, i don't like climbing up a ladder at my size with bad knees.

ill likely go back to a ground tent for a little while, and maybe do a teardrop trailer build, or possibly a utility trailer/box with a rooftop tent low slung just on top of the rails.  that way i can use a portion of the utility trailer as a "porch"