Ford Transit Connect Forum

cross bars for 2017 TC Wagon

OK,  I recently bought a 2017 TC XLT wagon.  It has the silver roof rails but not the crossbars.  It looks like the cross bars could have been ordered for $195 when the car was purchased but afterwards they cost nearly $500.  What a scam.  I can't seem to find any after market(thule, yakima, etc) crossbars that fit these factory rails.  Has anyone found anything that works?  If so, could you share the brands/part numbers?

Thanks!

Not sure what factory channels look like but I installed the weatherguard mounting channels( see weatherguard picture,similar to yours?) and weatherguard 218-3-03 racks.Very industrial looking but will haul ladders or sheet goods.

Racks were PAINFULLY noisey until I filled the underside with expanding foam.

http://www.weatherguard.com/en/view/Products/Van Storage Equipment/Roof Racks/Mounting Kit/2085-0-01

https://americanladders.com/product/model-218-3-all-purpose-rack-aluminum-2-cross-member/

20170709_074319.jpg

Edited by JackGrimshaw
Bad link

The hard part of the rack is the Silver rails There are several Company's that make crossbars that will fit the Silver rails.   You will find what you need keep looking.Call the Tech Line at  thule and yakima. some one there will help you out.

Keep us posted on the search!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2016 TC with the factory raised rails (silver).  

I emailed Yakima and they told me two things. 

1: An older Rail Grab system will work and you need a small hook.  I found a used set at a used rack store.  The good folks there were able to look up to see if older rack systems will work, and they do.

https://www.yakima.com/railgrab-4-pack

2: Yakima will be coming out with racks that will fit the factory rails in about 3-4 months.

I just installed the Rail Grabs in the like tonight and they seem to fit fine.  I'll know more once i carry something.

I also have the railgrab setup.  I am bummed because I bought it when Yakima had it as a fit for our vans.  They no longer specify it due to a pretty major problem.  There is too little clearance between the bottom of the bar and the roof to really use any accessories.  I was barely able to get the Yakima surfboard system to fit.  In order to get bike racks up there I had to go on the outside of the rails.  I would not recommend it unless you are just using it to haul plywood or something.

Our new 2017 TC Wagon had the rails but no crossbars. When picking it up from dealer I asked if we could work a deal on the crossbars since they are so expensive as an accessory. Turns out the dealers parts department had one that someone had ordered and never picked up. They charged me $250 which I felt was OK. 

I count myself lucky.

• 1 month later...

figured out a way for less than $200.  It takes three items to make the crossbar setup.  First, The USA amazon is too expensive.  You order from Amazon.com.uk  the Thule flush railing kit 184016  (thule 4016) which fits TC from 2014 on.  That will fit the silver flush rails.  Then you need the footpack and crossbars to go with the 4016 kit.  That I went to eBay and purchased a Thule generic setup:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Audi-Q5-06-Audi-Q7-16-BMW-X1-Roof-Rack-Cross-Bar-Top-Rail-Cargo-Carrier. 

This eBay item is for Audi but will accept genuine Thule parts.  I did not use the Ebay Audi flush railing pieces since they will not fit a TC; used the 4016 kit instead,   with the eBay Audi footpack and cross rails.

Now on Amazon.com.uk you can order everything you need for the crossrails, but with the money conversion and shipping, that cost is too high.  However, you get several options, like square bars, wing type in alum or black, etc. just be mindful,  that different type bars take different type footpacks to work. 

• 1 month later...

Saw this on eBay and wondered what you thought about it.  Looks like it will fit the factor rails, it does say may need to cut the bars to fit but the end caps and clamps look like they will work.  My need is to occasionally haul a sheet of plywood for something longer than will fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRANSIT-ALUMINUM-TOP-ROOF-RACK-CROSS-BARS-CROSS-RAILS-2014-2017/302025457407?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Df1554996d0a148eab30f002b09e1b6f0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182427086757&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by PhotoAl
had to add link!

That eBay one might technically fit once the bottom lip is cut down, but it likely wouldn't be very secure. The Ford rails rely on the crossbar mostly contacting the outside of the rail with a relatively small lip on the inside to lock it in. As you tighten the Ford crossbar, it pinches the rail by moving towards the outside at the same time it moves in the upward direction to hook under the inside lip. Here's a couple photos of the Ford rails on my 2015 TC Wagon (not tightened down) and a closeup of the clamping mechanism on the Ford crossbars. (That's 2 crossbars taped together in the photo, but you can still see the details best on the left side crossbar. The rail would roughly be where the blue tape in the background can be seen.)

20170828_092259.jpg

20171211_095433.jpg

On 10/29/2017 at 11:36 PM, engineer said:

figured out a way for less than $200.  It takes three items to make the crossbar setup.  First, The USA amazon is too expensive.  You order from Amazon.com.uk  the Thule flush railing kit 184016  (thule 4016) which fits TC from 2014 on.  That will fit the silver flush rails.  Then you need the footpack and crossbars to go with the 4016 kit.  That I went to eBay and purchased a Thule generic setup:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Audi-Q5-06-Audi-Q7-16-BMW-X1-Roof-Rack-Cross-Bar-Top-Rail-Cargo-Carrier. 

This eBay item is for Audi but will accept genuine Thule parts.  I did not use the Ebay Audi flush railing pieces since they will not fit a TC; used the 4016 kit instead,   with the eBay Audi footpack and cross rails.

Now on Amazon.com.uk you can order everything you need for the crossrails, but with the money conversion and shipping, that cost is too high.  However, you get several options, like square bars, wing type in alum or black, etc. just be mindful,  that different type bars take different type footpacks to work. 

These ones appear to be about 47" (121cm) across, what is the width of the OEM bars?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 12:36 AM, engineer said:

Hope this hot tip for cross bars works!  I am new here, but after much study...I ordered as 'engineer' described: the Thule rail kit from Amazon UK and the generic "Thule" footpack and bars. Total cost $136.... looks like a winner.  I will let you know in a couple weeks.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, Donzo said:

Hope this hot tip for cross bars works!  I am new here, but after much study...I ordered as 'engineer' described: the Thule rail kit from Amazon UK and the generic "Thule" footpack and bars. Total cost $136.... looks like a winner.  I will let you know in a couple weeks.  Thanks!

Updates on how this worked?  Would love to see some pictures.

Researching to find an affordable set-up to allow for enough space/stability for bike/kayak/basket rack accessories with factor rails if possible. Thanks!

Edited by doitdub

Having a bit of trouble with this rack attempt. The bars are just short enough that I cannot get the locking covers and the end caps both on. There is only room for one or the other!  I cracked one end cap and one locking cover trying to push them both on. I will try to get a pic attached. I was hoping maybe Engineer, the original poster, could shed some light. 

roof rack.jpg

• 7 months later...

I did the british amazon thule feet and ebay china aero bar knock off also. thanks OP!

yes, the bars are too short to put the crossbar end caps on - so I left them off. rack did great on a road tour to alaska and back.

if I get around to it, I might shoot some foam into the crossbar ends to seal them, so bugs don't move in.

Edited by ertzog

• 4 months later...

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, there is always a local vendor who will sell and install the correct product.  No guess work.  Then they deal with offering you a warranty on their parts & labor.  And you can go back there when it starts to leak.

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2017 at 1:36 AM, engineer said:

Just installed the Ebay Audi barz and Amazon UK Thule kit trick. Not bad for the money. The barz and locks are not as finely crafted as Thule, but for the about 1/3 the money, I'm in 8' or longer hauling buisness!   

Yes, due to the fact the barz are only Just long enough to work, its an either/or situation with the end caps and locking covers.  Also take note... one of my Audi bar mounts had a molding imperfection that I have made the Ebay seller aware of. We'll see if he takes care of it.

IMG_20201107_165102236.jpg

IMG_20201107_165035814.jpg

IMG_20201106_205235545.jpg