Ford Transit Connect Forum

need dimensions and features/options availability

joejoerising

does anyone know if there rear seats the transit connect wagon are removable or retractable? if so...

-- do rear seats "disappear" into the floor, or do they fold against the side walls?

-- what is the width between the walls, above the rear wheel wells?

-- what is the depth of the cargo area, from the inside of the back door to the top of the 2nd row of seats, while seats are still in the upright position?

-- are interior cargo dimensions different between older version (ie.: 2010) and the better looking "facelifted" version (ie.: 2017)?

-- is there an option for windowless back doors? maybe hatchback?

-- is it possible for manufacturer to replace window glass with panels in the rear and side-rear of the vehicle, the way they normally do when converting passenger vans to cargo vans, after import to the US?

and while we're at it, my actual preference is the transit custom, which is only sold as close as mexico. is it possible to get one in the US?

On the SWB, the second row seats flip forward against the back of the front row.

On the LWB, the second row seats partially fold into a recess in the floor. The third row fold flat against the floor and has panels that flip to cover the gap between the first and second rows so the end result is a totally flat surface about 6 inches above the actual floor with both rows folded.

On the wagon, there are trim panels covering the wheel wells, the AC ducts, and the wiring along both walls. On my 2015, the distance between the panels is about 47 inches and the distance from the second row at the headrest to the liftgate is about 45 inches.

Here's the most recent Body Builder's Layout Book which has diagrams that you can see the seats and floor layouts with lots of dimensions:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2017/2017_Transit_Connect_v1-0.pdf

Edited by DonShockley
Add link

What follows only applies to the 2014 and newer Gen 2 vans.  IMO, which version you buy would depend more on the engine/transmission options than the cargo area dimensions, though your needs may vary.  The Gen 1 vans come with a 2.0 liter engine and a 4 speed automatic, the Gen 2's have a 2.5 liter and a 6 speed automatic

On the SWB, the rear seats are easily removable  -  Flip two little yellow levers and you can remove either the larger '60' side or the smaller '40' side or both.  We frequently take out the smaller one and leave the larger one folded up against the back of the drivers seat.  The seats are heavy, but they are very easy to remove and replace

Also, the SWB has a lower floor, due to the way the seats in the LWB fold down.  You cannot easily remove and replace the seats in the LWB version  -  They weren't designed to be taken out like the ones in the SWB model

The rear dimensions between the LWB and the SWB are similar, except the LWB is about 16" longer and the SWB has a floor several inches lower than the LWB

Don

Edited by Beta Don

If you want to sleep in it AND have no windows in the back, you're looking at a LWB cargo van instead of a passenger wagon or maybe even a SWB cargo van depending on how tall you are. I bought a 2015 TC XLT LWB cargo van new with no windows at all in the back (not even on the sliding side doors) and have plenty of room to sleep at floor level while being 6ft tall. At floor level, cargo length behind the driver & passenger seats is something like 7ft. If I remember my measurements correctly, I could even build a platform bed at shoulder-height of the driver seat to have storage space under the bed. For reference, I use a memory foam full-size mattress from Walmart as a camping bed, but I cut the bed length-wise and double-stacked it, so it's close to 6" thick but only about 26-27" wide. That leaves lots of open room on the other half of the van, but I can't easily roll around in bed! It's nice having the extra room to get dressed when urban stealth-camping, though. My van is all-purpose, so it's not a dedicated camper like some others here; I only put the mattress in when I know I'll need it. These two pics are from two year ago, I have a twin-size fitted sheet on the mattress now and the floor doesn't look new & shiny anymore, haha. One other thing in this first pic is that there's a tool cabinet behind the bed, so the edge of the mattress is actually about 10" from the back door, the tool chest (actually an HF Hanging Wall Cabinet) took up that space but is not currently in my van anymore. Hopefully this all helps you with your search!

gallery_5065_168_651146.jpeggallery_5065_168_409601.jpeg

23 hours ago, Boomerweps said:

Passenger vans are more costly to import into the USA than cargo vans, at least for the Transit Connect. FORD converted the imported cargo vans into passenger vans in NJ somewhere for 2010-2013.

Not sure if what your trying to say is not clear or if what your trying to say is wrong but I believe the cargo vans are more expensive to import because of the 25% "chicken tax" on imported trucks. Because of this all cargo vans were imported as passenger vans then converted to cargo vans then the seats and windows were shipped back to the factory.