Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit connect RV build examples//Solar/fridge

Im going to be purchasing a Transit connect for a three month road trip. Does anyone have any online resources for builds that have been done? 

Anyone doing solar and a fridge setup in them? 

Eventually going to buy the full size transit 250 but want to make sure I like the van life before I spend a lot of money.

Thanks

-David

Welcome to the forum!

There are several very well documented camper builds with plenty of pictures here on the forum.  Lots of info for updating the electrical system to support new loads too  -  Inverters, fridges and ventilation

Take a look around and do some reading.  I think most of your questions will be answered right here!

Don

I have an ARB fridge in mine but no solar yet. I had solar with the same fridge in my Land Cruiser for years. I found 75 watts for panels was enough to keep my second battery fully charged every day.  When I install solar on the van I will do 100 watt with a pwm controller along with a deep cycle battery for the fridge.

DPL646, welcome to the forum.  There are very advanced builds and fairly raw builds too.  I was surprised by the level of knowledge and experience evidenced by the members here.  I learn  more every day.  Additionally, this is a friendly and helpful forum absent problems often evidenced in most places.  So enjoy your stay and ask questions freely.  I believe it was Beta Don that mentioned recently that the short wheel base (SWB) Transit Connects drive like a car, and that the long wheel base (LWB) drives more like a light truck.  Folks here have various opinions regarding each.  One of the most often mentioned issues is the rear view,  and it is often recommended that you drive each to determine which you are most comfortable driving.  Views from lift gate or barn doors are often discussed too. 

Keep in mind too that your cargo carrying load limit is 1600 lbs including the weight of your build and additional equipment.  Tires too are important regarding weight limit, mileage etc.  I just purchased a set of Michelin Extra Load Light Truck Tires rated at 1700 lbs.  Since the tires that are original equipment tend to be rated at around 1400 lbs you may want to investigate that further. 

When I was shopping around for a used vehicle I thought that XLT meant extra long and tall.  Stupid me, it did not.  At 6'5" tall I bought a Connect cargo van that was six feet instead of the seven feet of cargo space in the long wheel base.  I built it to make it work however and am satisfied with it.  So there is much to consider.  Enjoy your journey !:rockon:

While I've not installed solar, I do have a fairly decent electrical setup in my van. I can run my powered cooler for about a day without running the batteries flat. Due to the cost of solar, I'd only consider it if I was planning on parking for days at a time. If you aren't doing that, consider wiring to the alternator and charge the house batteries while you drive. Just be sure to get a smart isolator to prevent overcharging.

My electrical setup is detailed out on the first page of my build thread.

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good ideas here. I love road tripping in my TC. I've been to Banff, SLC, Jackson Hole, and Copper Harbor (a few times!) since buying mine last September. Like you, I bought the TC as a starter van. My intention is also to upgrade to a big van, but I wanted to test the waters on something considerably cheaper to be sure I liked it. For now, I'm loving it. It'll be easy to drop the larger pile of cash for a bigger van in a few years.

• 2 months later...

I did solar and a small refrig.  Mine too I did as a "temporary modification."  If I indeed I do make a couple of long trips, that will be it, it all comes out. I have an 8 ft garage door so it pulls right in. The ice maker though is my pride and joy. Pics & some info at: