Ford Transit Connect Forum

Anybody made a temporary load platform for over the seats of a LWB wagon?

After my sound system haul, I've had a few thoughts. Dangerous, I know ;)

I won't be removing my seats but I think cutting a quarter inch 4x8 panel and laying it over the seat backs would add a little strength, protect the seat backings, and let me use wheeled storage boxes easier.

So, anybody make a portable platform on the LWB seatbacks?

And if so, any detailed measurements or diagrams available for the lazy?

I might make it in two sections for ease of handling & use when only the back section is down.

Boomerwwps you may want to consider using 3/8 inch birchwood plywood for both it's strength and light weight.  I used it on an elevated bed platform on a SWB.  The platform was built on 2X3 wall studs with minimal bracing.  Since I'm not sure about the folded seat strength or weight capacity of them, I'm not sure if you would have to use the studs or if the plywood could be placed directly on the seat backs.  If you used a short vertical stud, the studs, bracing, and plywood would be light and easily handled.  Either way using plywood would be a good assist in loading and unloading.  I would send a pic except I'm in Missouri and the TC is in California with my son.  When he gets back I'll show some pics.  

We mounted two heavy speaker boxes on the floor, facing the back barn doors, six inches from the doors, cut into the bulkhead to mount two additional speakers, and replaced the front door speakers with five inch high end speakers, they fit perfectly.  We replaced the alternator with a high amp alternator, ran wiring to the amp and speakers.  That TC is like a concert hall...LOL.  Despite the high volume and tremendous booms of the base, the computer elements located under the console were unaffected and performance was normal.  Despite our good efforts, we couldn't blow the doors off the TC.  :rockon:

I'm thinking a simple & lightweight loading enhancement. So just the plywood. Also any framing would take away cargo height, something the seats already do, 5-6" worth compared to the floor on the SWB or cargo TC versions. Still want to be able to easily roll items in and out as much as possible. At least it will only take one sheet of plywood, whenever I get 'round to it.