Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wheel Size Question

MichaelD

11 minutes ago, Mike Chell said:

Oh yeah ... just opinion.  Here's another example ...

Yeah, you have to wonder what was in this person's mind at the time. I remember this one guy back in the 70s took a Pinto (frame still on) and welded it on top of a Bronco frame and drive train. Oddest damn looking thing you ever saw. I wish I had a picture to show you.

7 hours ago, Mike Chell said:

Ugh.  One of the worst sights on the highways ... a van or truck that looks like a Tonka toy, with wheels extended out beyond the wheel wells.

In parts of Europe, it's actually against the law  -  You didn't see that, at least not when I was there

When I was stationed in Germany, I had a 240Z with the optional dealer installed alloy wheels, fitted with the OEM size tires.  For the very strict German TUV inspection, they stand a straight edge vertically against the tire, touching the tire at the bottom and the top  -  If that straight edge fails to also touch the fender, you're not legal and you fail the inspection.  Never mind the fact that the car isn't modified in any way and the tires fit completely inside the fenders when the suspension is completely compressed . . . . you still fail and you can't drive the car on the road.  I was there for 3 years and every year come inspection time, I had to go swap wheels/tires with a buddy to go get my inspection done and them come home and swap tires back again

Don

4 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

In parts of Europe, it's actually against the law  -  You didn't see that, at least not when I was there

Its against the law here in some states too. I remember there was lots of controversy back when with the rear end of cars jacked up too. Both of which are pure nonsense when it would be ok sometimes depending upon the kind of vehicle you drove. Ok on a 69 flatbed truck but not ok on a 69 Chevelle. In Cincinnati there is some targeting of "big" wheels. Sorta like racial profiling.

If you can cite a sound safety reason and it is across the board that would be one thing.

In most states, your wheels and tires are not suppose to extend beyond the wheel well.  Most states also allow an exemption if you have fender flares and mud flaps.  

The Transit Connect fenders appear as if you can install an aftermarket wheel approximately 1" wider than OEM.

1 minute ago, Fifty150 said:

In most states, your wheels and tires are not suppose to extend beyond the wheel well.  Most states also allow an exemption if you have fender flares and mud flaps.  

The Transit Connect fenders appear as if you can install an aftermarket wheel approximately 1" wider than OEM.

No worries in VA.

4 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

No worries in VA.

So in VA, you are allowed to have oversized wheels and tires that spray dirt, gravel, mud, rain, and whatever else onto people and cars that you are passing?

Or at least that is how CA Highway Patrol explained it to me.  They don't care that you want to look good, so you add a lift kit and big wheels & tires.  What they do care about is that you are now spraying rocks onto windshields at 70 miles an hour, and splashing mud on little old ladies at bus stops.  Yet, enforcement is selective at best.  The cop said that he wouldn't write a  ticket, but wanted to explain what the law was about and why they have such a law.  I should also have the sense to understand, and make corrections accordingly, without being to forced to.  Being a knucklehead, 25 years later, I have yet to put fender flares or mud flaps on any of my Jeeps and trucks.  Warnings don't work.  Cops have to shoot you in the back, while your hands are in the air, in order to get your attention.

Bodycam Footage Shows SFPD Officer Shooting Man in the Back

north-beach-ois-bodycam-2-1180x663.png
Screen capture from San Francisco Police Department body-camera video showing an officer-involved shooting on June 9, 2018. (San Francisco Police Department via Vimeo)

Police bodycam footage released Thursday night at a town hall meeting shows a San Francisco police officer shooting a man in the back

As I said ... he wasn't paying attention in the first place.  A police officer tells you to get down, or to put your hands up ... running is NOT doing either of those.  If you're running, you have a reason ... and a police officer has the right to take you out.  That cop didn't "shoot him in the back" ... he stopped a criminal.

If you haven't done anything wrong, you don't run.  If you're running, you've done something wrong ... and will do something wrong in the future.

If a perp is standing there, doing nothing, and a cop shot him in the back ... THAT would be on the cop, and he/she would be held accountable.

12 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

So in VA, you are allowed to have oversized wheels and tires that spray dirt, gravel, mud, rain, and whatever else onto people and cars that you are passing?

It would seem so, but you shouldn't be going so slow that I have to pass you in the first place.?

Seriously, I have read somewhere that VA has a limit of three inches but I can't find it in the Code of Virginia. All I can find is this:

§ 46.2-1083. Rear fenders, flaps, or guards required for certain motor vehicles.

No person shall operate on a highway any motor vehicle or combination of vehicles having a licensed gross weight in excess of 40,000 pounds unless the motor vehicle or combination of vehicles is equipped with rear fenders, flaps, or guards of sufficient size to substantially prevent the projection of rocks, dirt, water, or other substances to the rear. Vehicles used exclusively for hauling logs and tractor trucks shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.

So, as far as I can tell, you don't have to have fenders at all unless you exceed 40,000 lbs.

The code section you are looking at covers tractor trailers.  In excess of 40,000 lbs is an 18 wheeler.

In CA, Vehicle Code 

No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.

19 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

The code section you are looking at covers tractor trailers.

Yeah, I get that. But I can't find anything in the code about smaller vehicles. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just means I can't find it. Reading some more and it SOUNDS like here (still not sure) that the three inch rule is three inches past any MARKER LIGHT, not necessarily the fender.

Either way I'm not worried about the van since my rear tires stick out only about 2-2.5 inches. I'd go wider but I wouldn't be able to get the sliding doors open.

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Cut the door

Tempting. The wife would beat me about the head and shoulders. Not that I'm afraid of her though, cause I THINK I can still take her.

If it had 109K on it instead of 9K the temptation might be too much. Of course the electrical gremlins are probably going to move in long before that so it is probably a moot point.

Gullwing doors with hydraulics in the suspension.  Doors will no longer be a prolem and you can get custom made wheels as wide as you want.  Van lowers in Park to where tire fills entire wheel well.  shift into drive or reverse, van raises to allow for proper steering and turning.

35 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

Gullwing doors with hydraulics in the suspension.  Doors will no longer be a prolem and you can get custom made wheels as wide as you want.  Van lowers in Park to where tire fills entire wheel well.  shift into drive or reverse, van raises to allow for proper steering and turning.

This sounds like an awesome idea! Right before the d i v o r c e.