Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wheel Size Question

MichaelD

47 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

I *like* the look of those!  -  They really made a dramatic change in the look of the van.  Very similar to what I've got on mine  :victory:

I changed out my steel wheels & hubcaps for a set of 16 X 7 Ford Focus alloy wheels (from a 2012 I think) and mounted my OEM Continentals on them, re-using the original TPMS sensors

Don

P1000347.jpg

Those are similar indeed!

The Volvo wheels don't quite do what I really want which is to go wider. The specs are almost identical to the stock wheels on the van except they are 7s not 6 1/2s. I would have preferred a little less offset. I could pack them out with spacers I suppose but I probably won't. But they are just temporary, about half life left on the tires and they're not load rated properly for the van. They ride nice though and I didn't have to mount or balance them nor did I pay much for them. The Conti-Pros managed to get about 700 miles on them........which is a lot for me......cause I hate stock steels with hubcaps.

If you're purchasing wheels originally intended for  a different Ford or Volvo I'd pay close attention to the load stamped on the back. I've found a good amount do not meet the load cap of the TC.

Edited by jeru574

I like these Maserati babies.....but the rear offset is so high you would have to use spacers to keep them off of the suspension.:cry: I'm slowly resigning myself to using spacers or adapters on any setup I can come up with. Maybe there is more space back there than I think? Anybody know for sure how positive you could go with the offset? And to fit a 255/50R16?

I haven't been able to find what the center bore is.

s-l1600.jpg

Offset: FRONT: 30 REAR: 56  

Number of Bolts: 5 Rim Material: Alloy
Bolt Pattern: 5x108 Rim Width: FRONT: 7J REAR:8J
Rim Structure: One Piece Rim Diameter: 16

On 10/12/2017 at 6:59 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Tis a shame you're not in VA, I would GIVE you a set of 16 inch steels with only 700 miles on them. Covers too. They're going to be in my way.

I'm in VA every year to visit my in-laws in Toano.  I'd be glad to trade these 17s for some steelies for the winter

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, Keith Blume said:

I'm in VA every year to visit my in-laws in Toano.  I'd be glad to trade these 17s for some steelies for the winter

We can make it work. Toano is east of Richmond if I recall. I'm about 45 minutes west of Richmond. If your route takes you along I64 it should be no problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Round 2, same wheels different tires. I tried some 12mm spacers on the rear but there turned out to be not as much thread on the wheels studs as thought. Should have actually measured them first. This thing doesn't want to allow me to add any pics.

Round 3, I picked up some 245/50R16s and put them on the new rims. I'm short some accessories before I put them on the van.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Round 2, same wheels different tires. I tried some 12mm spacers on the rear but there turned out to be not as much thread on the wheels studs as thought. Should have actually measured them first. This thing doesn't want to allow me to add any pics.

Round 3, I picked up some 245/50R16s and put them on the new rims. I'm short some accessories before I put them on the van.

Must be my connection. This is round 2, just switched the old tires for some new 225/55R16s. Just a smidgeon wider, not expensive. Sold the old tires before I even left the tire shop.

round2.jpg.d8ab6a790d541c6e2d13d0ef2af8d1b1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Round 3: 245 50 16 on 16x7s. Offset at 37 and the rear have been bumped out 1.25" with spacers. About flush on the front and about 1.5" proud on the back. Used the center bore adapters, something I would recommend to anyone using after-market wheels.

I'm not crazy about the tires since they're not really conducive to my "tire art". They ride and drive ok though.

235 60 16 Weather-Masters on early-mid 2000s Forester rims on the Outback. Snug fit.

round3-1.JPG

round3-2.JPG

round3-3.JPG

9 hours ago, G B L said:

Nice looking wheels.  If you get the wrong State Trooper here the Proud rear wheels could be an issue.

Thanks. VA. allows four inches and I'm pretty sure NC. gives three and that's where the TC would be driven mostly. It would be an simple task to remove the spacers or even change the wheels for any adventures into the Great White North or other states where that might be a problem.

From my experience, fix-it tickets are usually only given out to vehicles registered in that state.  For instance, California does not allow window tint on the front windows.  But the Highway Patrol, or any other local cop, will usually only give you a warning.  Especially if in your state, it's legal.   They know that you're not going to correct the violation (remove the tint), or stay in California long enough to go to court to contest it.  And it's very questionable as to whether such a citation would even be valid, since the peace officer in California technically isn't responsible for vehicles in compliance with the vehicle code in the state which said vehicle is registered in.  That is why so many rental vehicles in California have license plates from states like Arizona & Montana.  The large rental companies (Hertz, U-Haul, Avis, Penske) have cleverly skirted around California's strict vehicle code and emissions standards by registering those vehicles in other states.  The window tint law also allows them to ticket for a GPS stuck in the middle of the windshield and those fuzzy dice that people like to hang from their rearview mirrors.......since it all obstructs the clear view of the driver.

VEHICLE CODE - VEH

DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150]

( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

CHAPTER 4. Windshields and Mirrors [26700 - 26712]
  ( Chapter 4 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

• 1 month later...

Ran across these very nice 2013 Ford Focus wheels. I really like the way they look. What I want to put on them is 275/45R16s (for the rear only) but they are only 7 inches wide which is well under tire manufacturer's recommended width. I am very familiar with that. The general rule is that the minimum wheel width should equal 70% of the width........until......you get to an aspect ratio of less than 50. Then it increases to 85%.

The question  is why the sudden increase at that particular point?

That the percentage would increase as the sidewall height decreases makes perfect sense, but it is the same for a 50 aspect ration as 55, as 60, as 65 and so on.

image.png.bab0dd8a64a6f06daa82a5ae56cc635c.png