Ford Transit Connect Forum

Power Port Question

Cobrargc

I haven't yet taken possession of my '17 TC.  I'm wondering whether the 12V ports are under power without the ignition being on.  My Caravan cuts the power after a short time.  I was told it was configured this way for safety reasons.  My wife and I use the Caravan, and soon the TC, to sleep in on overnight trips.  In the warmer months we like to use a small fan while we sleep and are unavailable to do this when the port is tied to the switch.  Perhaps being built in Europe the ports are under power 24/7.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Thanks

Thanks Don, but since the "How To" is to configure the ports to be active only when the ignition is on, does this mean the ports come from the factory with full time power.  This is what I'm after.  I want to be able to run a low power fan through the night without having the ignition switch turned to accessory.

Page 106 or 107 of the 2014 TC Owner's Manual states not to leave things plugged in overnight in the power ports. So that implies they are always on.

You can download the owner's manual and check out details prior to purchase. Also, most dealerships allow you to check out their vehicles' window stickers online so you can see exactly how it is equipped.

On my '14, the power ports are powered on all the time, hence the warning about not leaving things plugged in as they could run the battery down.  I doubt you'll have any problem running a small fan overnight, but if you're intending to camp in it, you might be wise to add a deep cycle battery to power things separately from the starting battery, just in case

I installed an inverter in our van to recharge our Segways as we drive and I replaced the starting battery with a more powerful AGM deep cycle battery so the inverter won't run the battery down when we stop for gas or lunch

Don

On 4/22/2017 at 10:21 AM, Boomerweps said:

Page 106 or 107 of the 2014 TC Owner's Manual states not to leave things plugged in overnight in the power ports. So that implies they are always on.

You can download the owner's manual and check out details prior to purchase. Also, most dealerships allow you to check out their vehicles' window stickers online so you can see exactly how it is equipped.

Boomer, I just read my 2012 TC Owners Manual and it made no mention of not leaving an accessory, like a Fan Tastic Endless Breeze portable fan, plugged in overnight.  I have a high power alternator that charges both my car battery and a stereo amp battery.  The fan would not drain these batteries if left on overnight.  Since Ford did not indicate a safety reason for not leaving the fan plugged in over night, I suspect that it is safe to do so.  Unless someone has some knowledge or personal experience otherwise I plan to use it.  Interesting topic.  I also plan to install a carbon monoxide alarm just in case. 

Also planning to build an elevated bed and a wooden wall to protect the large base box speakers placed six inches from the rear doors facing the doors.  The wooden wall will protect the amp and speakers from the cargo area under the bed.   It will not be as dolled up as some but it will be functional, sleep two, and have incredible sound.  I'll post pictures when complete.  I begin the modifications tomorrow and should have them completed in about a week. 

NOTE:  I read this interesting warning regarding aftermarket stereo installation,.  Installing stereo loudspeakers may interfere with and adversely affect the Afvance Trac with RSC system.  Install loudspeakers as far from the front center console in order to minimize the risk.  Reducing the effectiveness of the Advance Trac with RSC system could lead to an increased risk and loss of vehicle control.  Woah!  What's that all about? Any experience anyone?  I may have to sound deaden the console.  Wow!

I spoke to a Pro Audio Shop owner today whom I've known for many years.  He does the car audio for pro sports figures, stars, etc., as well as loafer's like me.  Anyway, he said that he had installed pro systems in many cars with far more advanced electronics than the Connect without incident.  He has also installed them in Ford trucks and cars that have the Advance Trac system with no reported troubles.  Further he indicated that many Fords, including some Connects, do have an on off button for the system.  The Connects that do not have that on off button can also turn it off by scrolling through the electronic menu.    Not sure how to do that yet but will find out.  So the stereo seems to be largely a non issue in his experience.  I'll let you know how it goes once I have it installed and try it out on the road.  Darn I wish Ford wouldn't throw those disclaimer paragraphs in the owners guide. 

Edited by Loafer
Additional Info

The only issue with leaving Accessories on is with all the computers in the Cars now you could end up with a no start .  It would be a good Idea to add a Good Booster pack to the accessory's .  This would prevent a morning swearing session after a good night's sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason only the 1.6L GTDI (SWB in USA) engine has the battery monitoring system. I assume this system will not allow the battery to be discharged below a useful voltage level. Has anyone tested this? The downside is you must have Ford reset the system when you replace the battery. All the camper conversions could benefit from this system  but they did not put it in the model that was most likely to be used as a camper.

The stereo installation was completed today.  It was highway driven with very loud music with boom boxes.  No apparent interference was noted with the Advance Trac System.  So it appears that is a non issue.  Speakers were mounted on the front door panels, the near back bulkhead, and the floor boxes.  The sound was amazing.  Elevated bed and mattress is also in, loading cargo tomorrow, then off to Cali.  .