Ford Transit Connect Forum

2016 TC XLT LWB Wagon Project Mtn. Biker/Dog Hauler/Camper

• 1 month later...

Hey whats up guys. Quick Update, I know I've been offline for a while. found some nice thin (less than a 1/4" thick) rubber mat material at Academy sports so I cut a few pieces to fit to provide some good traction on the floor and also lining the front cabinet bottom. I purchased a small 4x8 single axle utility trailer to handle yardwork stuff, material movement and possible motorcycle transport. Added the CURT trailer wiring harness and wired the hot lead into the rear passenger fuse box "hot" 40A spade terminal with a 15A fuse in line. 

I finally dropped the big loot on this ARB 50qt. fridge/freezer combo unit. I made a custom pigtail adapter to power this thing through my trailer wiring harness which is coiled up in the jack cubby hole on the driver side rear. Made for a more clean layout instead of running the wire across to the passenger side 12V socket, but that option is always there if I need to go that way. I had to rip about 1/2" of wood lengthwise off of the end of my flip top on the bed cabinet. This worked out perfect because the vent for the ARB unit is on the right side of the fridge so it has plenty of space for ventilation. I'm using these very handy and simple straps from REI to hold the ARB in place-"Sea to Summit Accessory Strap with Hook Release." This is all for now. I will test out the fridge on a trip tomorrow. Later! 

21427422_10214178734451709_4680529255674556141_o.jpg

21427401_10214178848414558_4535960537526825210_o.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

First road trip today was a success 5 hours out to the field for some lure coursing trials, a visit to a state park and a 5 hour drive back ending a 16 hour day in the TC with both hounds. ARB fridge is amazing,,,so much storage space and held temperature flawlessly,,,,I only wished that I could see the temperature display from the cab. I could always turn the fridge around or buy that 80 dollar wireless display kit ARB sells for additional peace of mind. The fridge and the 8 gallon water tank work really well together. I was also for the first time using the AWESOME cold open hooks and my paracord pigtails as cage stabilizers,,,Both beagles have PLENTY of room to curl up and sleep together in their massive crate parked on top of the bed unit. I'll post some video shortly,,,

21586863_10214189488480553_4553768446750906808_o.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

• 4 months later...

@Alvin - What a great thread. Thanks for sharing great write-ups, pics and awesome videos. You're work in most appreciated. WELL DONE!

Your attention to detail shows in the final product. First rate work all around.

You've inspired me to get off my butt and make some mods to my cargo van.

Looking forward to reading about more mods and videos!

Can you please share how to remove the rear side panels in the back?

Another forum member asked that same question in another thread somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

My van is cargo, yours is wagon, but I'm sure the panels are installed the same way. Thanks!

16 hours ago, windguy said:

@Alvin - What a great thread. Thanks for sharing great write-ups, pics and awesome videos. You're work in most appreciated. WELL DONE!

Your attention to detail shows in the final product. First rate work all around.

You've inspired me to get off my butt and make some mods to my cargo van.

Looking forward to reading about more mods and videos!

Can you please share how to remove the rear side panels in the back?

Another forum member asked that same question in another thread somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

My van is cargo, yours is wagon, but I'm sure the panels are installed the same way. Thanks!

You're welcome windguy! The side panels come off pretty easy. I start from one corner of the panel and give it a quick and careful horizontal pull away from the side of the van to get it started. Any clips that dont move I carefully use a panel remover tool  (looks like a flat tip screwdriver with a notch in the center. Good luck!

3 hours ago, r1alvin said:

You're welcome windguy! The side panels come off pretty easy. I start from one corner of the panel and give it a quick and careful horizontal pull away from the side of the van to get it started. Any clips that dont move I carefully use a panel remover tool  (looks like a flat tip screwdriver with a notch in the center. Good luck!

Thanks Alvin.

I found the thread I referred to, link below. I'm ready to give this a try. I think it will be easier to work on the flooring area with the side panels off and then add sound proofing to the sides like you did.

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/6563-removing-wheel-well-covers/?_fromLogin=1

Trying out a few new things with the setup:

REI Co-op Camp Bed 3.5 Open Cell Self Inflating pad (78"x30"x3.5") w/R-Value 6.0

Helio Down 30 Sleeping Bag

It's 40 degrees outside and I just tested this sleeping arrangement with a short nap. Felt very nice and warm. I was blown away at how comfortable the pad is and I weigh about 190. Even when laying on my side it holds its shape. I will take care of it and I hope it lasts! The photo below is my 50qt arb fridge freezer, large lightweight soft crate (both beagles sleep in it together) folded up, large expanded suitcase and my 12' inflatable sup board. I still have plenty of room under the bed for biking stuff. Onewheel can go on the floor in front of the passenger seat or behind my driver seat. Inflatable pad deflates fast, and rolls up to get out of the way along with the sleeping bag allowong me a large platform to secure the beagles to their tethers!

20180213_225120.jpg

Edited by r1alvin

Awesome set-up r1alvin! Currently planning an abbreviated version of this for mountain adventures this spring & summer with my wife, two young girls and two big dogs. Definitely some great inspiration here and the pups look content :)

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2017 at 11:01 AM, r1alvin said:

Another

20170512_124243.jpg

Just starting my conversion and yours has my attention with some slight mods for my bikes (have the same T2 on the back etc).  What tool did you use to punch those holes so clean? thinking of using the seat mount bolts to bolt the floor down and possible the bed to floordown.  Just curious since they are such perfect holes.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Whats up guys. I made a few updates to my TC. I accidentally left my water spigot on (with the pump off) last summer and leaked water inside the van. Luckily it found its way out the rear of the floor somehow, but the birch wood does not handle water well at all. It absorbs it like a sponge and then becomes very brittle. The black sealant de laminated as well. I decided to scrap the entire cabinet and re-build it with unistrut. I posted 2 videos of where I'm at with it//

Edited by r1alvin

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, r1alvin said:

It has a flexible heat vent to run either out a side widow or maybe out the rubber exit plug in the floor on the back of the van. What do you all think?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, chong said:

I think you'd likely need a larger vent than the plug in the back. That hole was barely large enough for me to run an extension cord through. 

If you guys are still reading, can you tell me where is the "rubber exit plug"?  Or post a photo of it? I have a 2014 TC LWB wagon, if that matters.  I have a round rubber cap right near the back doors, but it looks like that's where the spare tire is bolted in.  Is that where you're referring to, or something else?

5 hours ago, CarlaCB said:

If you guys are still reading, can you tell me where is the "rubber exit plug"?  Or post a photo of it? I have a 2014 TC LWB wagon, if that matters.  I have a round rubber cap right near the back doors, but it looks like that's where the spare tire is bolted in.  Is that where you're referring to, or something else?

Go to page 1 of this thread and about 4 or 5 posts down there is a photo where you can see part of it.