Ford Transit Connect Forum

Torn between a TC and Dodge GC-Need some help

Hello to everyone,

I'm about a week away from surrendering my 2013 Jetta TDI due to the dieselgate scandal, so I'm shopping for a replacement vehicle.  I absolutely love the power and mileage of my diesel.  It appears the diesel market has dried up so I am looking elsewhere.   My son works at a Ford dealership and I test drove a Transit Connect Titanium a couple days ago.  I also have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan so I am very familiar with this vehicle and considering a new one.  I'd like to purchase a TC  from my son, but I have many questions regarding the TC.

The TC is European made and designed.  From what I have read the vehicle is almost an enigma to dealerships here in the US.  I get the impression they don't understand the vehicle, and or, they are difficult to work on.  Has anyone else sensed this?

Are folks still having issues with financing the TC due to misclassification as a commercial vehicle?

I'm used to the power of a V-6 engine in a conventional minivan.  The 2.5 I4 just seems like it would underpower the TC.  I live near the mountains and will be using it for a lot of mountain traveling.  I see a few of you live near the mountains.  How is the TC working for you in the mountains and hills?  I just want to avoid a vehicle that shifts up and down all the time.  This is probably my biggest concern with the TC.

What is the European build quality?

I've owned many Fords over the years and have had good luck with them.  This vehicle just doesn't give me the traditional Ford feel.  Chrysler has the minivan down to a science and I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 hours ago, mrtn said:

What's wrong with the Jetta? You're giving up a perfectly good and economical automobile just because of politics?

No politics.  I could care less about the emissions.  When I see the black clouds of smoke belching out of a city bus, train, semi or construction equipment, I tend to think the TDI diesel is clean.  There are a couple reasons I'm taking it back.  VW is going to give me $500 less than I paid for it 4 1/2 years ago.  I just can't pass up $22,785 for it.  The Germans are still being tight lipped about how they can modify it to be emissions legal.  They were supposed to let us know what the fix was on Jan 1.  Not a word from VW and it's April.  There's no doubt the car will ever be the same after the fix.  My 48-52 mpg will be gone.  All they say is mileage and performance will suffer.  If I choose not to have it fixed, it will be just a matter of time before I will be unable to plate it due to not meeting emissions.  I am so pissed over this BS scandal.  My Jetta has only 21,300 miles on it and it may be destined for the crusher.  I posted a photo on a TDI forum of a staging depot for the cars along I-25 south of Colorado Springs.  There are thousands of the staged in rows. They're all probably going to the crusher. I couldn't even get VW to agree to sell me a new Passat diesel after it's been modified.  Supposedly the '15 and newer are easier to emissions comply.

When did Co institute an inspection? it must have been recent.  The 2.5 is completely adequate but not earth shaking.  You should get the Ford people to give you a TC loaner and you could take it up to Monarch pass on US 50 and that would give you a good Idea of the performance.                                           If the Chrysler does not present a service issue then the Ford should  not be one either .                                                                                                           In regards to working on it if Your dealer has a competent staff the drive train is almost Identical to the Escape and should not be a problem.   I am  not a Dealer person.   The service I have done on mine has been fairly routine  It has not made me think that the TC is any harder to service than any other Van type vehicle.  The 6 speed transmission is set up too keep the engine in the  right power zone and shifts often . If the engine is under 3.5 liters and not turbo charged that is what you get oh well!!  

1 hour ago, G B L said:

When did Co institute an inspection? it must have been recent.  The 2.5 is completely adequate but not earth shaking.  You should get the Ford people to give you a TC loaner and you could take it up to Monarch pass on US 50 and that would give you a good Idea of the performance.                                           If the Chrysler does not present a service issue then the Ford should  not be one either .                                                                                                           In regards to working on it if Your dealer has a competent staff the drive train is almost Identical to the Escape and should not be a problem.   I am  not a Dealer person.   The service I have done on mine has been fairly routine  It has not made me think that the TC is any harder to service than any other Van type vehicle.  The 6 speed transmission is set up too keep the engine in the  right power zone and shifts often . If the engine is under 3.5 liters and not turbo charged that is what you get oh well!!  

Denver and Boulder are among a growing number that have smog checks.  I'll be able to skirt the issue for a while but VW will be expecting owners to modify or buyback.  They'll be under pressure to get all vehicles to fall under one of the two options.

Is the TC designed more for city transportation?   Ford markets the stripped down units for business owners and taxi's.  The TC I drove recently was running about 2,500 RPM at 75 mph.  I'm not sure what the powerband of the 2.5 liter is, but I wonder if it is struggling a bit at these speeds.

The 2.5 mated to the select shift 6 speed automatic is the best matched combination I've ever driven.  Virtually all my cars going back 45 years have had manual transmissions, but I was ready for an automatic *if* it could perform like the manuals I'm used to and IMO, this combination is actually better  -  The computer knows when to shift it better than I could do with a manual

You will be impressed with the zero to 30 acceleration and with the 50 to 70 passing power  -  You stomp on it and it goes!  Hard to believe it's only 2.5 liters and I'm sure the performance is what it is because of the 6 speed and the intelligence in the shifting programming

IMO, the build quality is quite good.  I'm impressed.  You are certainly correct that few people in most dealerships know much about TC's.  I'm sure the information is there, but it appears few people bother reading up on what they are paid to sell or work on.  Hopefully that will improve as time goes by

I've never been a fan of V-6's  -  Inline 6's and 4's are my cup of tea.  You'll like the mileage compared to your Dodge,  I got 28.95 mpg on a tankfull during our last trip (400 miles)

If I were you, I'd get my son to arrange an extended test drive of the model TC you think will suit you best and get it out in the mountains and see what you like and what you don't

Don

• 2 weeks later...

We took an extended test drive up to Woodland Park to see how it would perform on steep grades.  It went pretty well.  This helped us make our decision to buy the TC.  We had our son transfer in a TC from Oklahoma with the Titanium package and panoramic glass roof.  I fly to Omaha next Thursday to pick it up and drive it back to Colorado.  The dealer is installing the trailer tow package ahead of my arrival.  The only thing I wanted and wasn't able to get is the 2nd row bench.  

• 5 weeks later...

The Dodge is a real turdmobile by all accounts. Based on a Fiat structure and lots of unhappy buyers in the forum I read a bit on when I was weighing options.  The TC's origins gave me some pause but the reviews compared to the Dodge were night and day.