Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ramp & gear cart for musicians & soundmen

I eBayed a 4 way folding 6' aluminum wheelchair ramp a while back. It works great with my SWB Connect. Clears the painted plastic bumper by an inch or more. Bought the ramp for use with a couple cargo trailers I have but was hoping this would work for the Transit Connect and IT DOES!

I had a sound system speaking/background music dinner gig last night and tried it for the first time. I had most of my gear loaded on a Rock N Roller cart and wheeled it right in and out with the ramp. I have a couple of these carts. I used the mid size one (R6) which fit with just the wider rear seat folded but left in place. IF I had removed the seat entirely, my larger (R16) cart would have fit. There was enough room beside the cart to slide in the folded ramp. Note: amazing but, with the rear seats removed, all the Rock N Roller Multicarts fit in the SWB Transit Connect, although the 2 longest units might require a shoved door.

The ramp size was chosen so when folded it can also fit sideways in both my vehicles' and smaller trailer's cargo area at the doors. Much easier to leave a little room at the end than a gap running lengthways with a load.

if Ford would come out with a 4wd version, I'd sell my Explorer and get a second Transit Connect in LWB. I love the cargo handling capacity of these vehicles! With barn doors, of course.

Edited by Boomerweps

I think any cargo which fits with the barn doors also fits with the lift gate . . . plus you can stay dry loading and unloading in the rain!  :love_shower:

We thought we wanted 'barn doors' until we drove a TC with them, but the lack of visibility with the rear view mirror quickly changed our mind  -  After that, we never looked at any prospective TC to buy unless it had a lift gate

Don

1 hour ago, Beta Don said:

I think any cargo which fits with the barn doors also fits with the lift gate . . . plus you can stay dry loading and unloading in the rain!  :love_shower:

We thought we wanted 'barn doors' until we drove a TC with them, but the lack of visibility with the rear view mirror quickly changed our mind  -  After that, we never looked at any prospective TC to buy unless it had a lift gate

Don

I've had a couple vehicles with liftgates including several Ford Explorers, an Expedition, and an Aerostar van. I actually prefer the barn doors for loading items. It's nice to pack stuff in and shut one door to load against. The middle blind spot from the doors does take some getting used to. Ford should make the rear camera able to be activated as desired.

1 hour ago, Kyle Kielinski said:

I use a RockNRoller R12rt for all of my photo gear.  Great cart! One trip!  

I collapse it, though.  Wagon version raises the floor too high to roll it in.

You must have the LWB 3 row seat version with the seats folded flat with backings for the load floor. The SWB 2nd row seat backs fold down and then have to be tilted up against the front seats to have a flat load floor. So I get 49" of cargo height. I see by the dimensions manual you only get 42.2" of cargo height with the LWB. 41.5" is the height listed for the R12RT.  BUT... I think that's the interior cargo height not allowing for the rear door frame dipping a little. I think I'll have to physically measure mine to check the difference from Ford's specs.

Yes, I keep both manuals in my iBooks for quick reference ;)

Update on measured cargo clearances.

44.5" a few inches out from the driver's side at the rear door

44" at the rear doors center latch

46 cargo area roof

49" rear passenger roof

so based on actual measurements, you lose FIVE inches at the door compared to the Ford listed specs!

Edited by Boomerweps

Wow, Boomerweps, you don't mess around!  Thanks for the quick reference measurements, I'm making notes!  I do have a LWB with 3rd row seats typically folded flat.  Not quite as convenient for work, but more than makes up for it in people hauler + camping modes.

I also use a bag (made by GripNGaff) with my cart - it slides over one of the uprights.  Perfect way to carry a tripod, light stands, light modifiers, etc.  It extends the overall length of the cart about a foot.  

Some day I'll modify a typical poly utility cart to my exact specs and then worry about ramping it into a van.  In the meantime, folding the RnR'er isn't a big deal.

If that Grip & Gaff bag is the one I saw, it was insanely expensive for a backpack/duffle that slides over the handles. If I decide to use one, I'll modify an existing much cheaper bag ;)

I still would like a LWB but the SWB handles like a sports car to me and the lower load floor is a good thing. Plus I got the  humongous trailer towing package, all 2K pounds capacity. My smaller trailer is a 4x4x8.5' with a GTWR of 2K but I usually tow with the Explorer anyways with either trailer. If I ever get another band together I'd have to pull the seats out of the TC but I'd be able to fit my compact sound system and full drum kit in there. So no trailer needed when on street parking is all I get. Part of the allure of the LWB was cargo capacity and ability to use as a camper on trips if desired.

If I didn't require 4WD for winter, I'd strongly consider getting a LWB TC van and sell my trailers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update.

First gig Friday using the new TC LWB for my sound gear. NO decent loading area for my carts so I'll just have unload them into the TC. Then lift the gear onto a 4 foot platform and carry the stuff in, only a 20 foot carry ;) Going to take my time on the TC loading to get a good stable pack. My previous plan was to load the cart using my portable ramp and put the cable boxes behind them for a snug pack. That's out the window since one of my two carts handles are too tall for the LWB with the seats folded down, plus too many steps to move over at this venue.

I did ask She Who Must Be Obeyed if she minded me taking her brand new primary vehicle for the gig. She said, "Why not? You're the one making the payments." ;) 

I'll have to investigate shortening the handles on my larger cart to fit the new TC. Can't buy them, the other model's frame widths are narrower.

Gig over. Fully packed the Transit Connect LWB, all speakers upright, all floor space taken up but nothing stacked so no load shifting concerns. In the SWB I had, I would have had to stack the footlockers and some gear racks to fit everything.   Even though the footlockers and racks are made to interlock together somewhat, our town's roads are starting to emulate Beirut! Hence my load shifting concerns. Thinking more about cutting a thin load floor out of Luan to save the flip and fold seat backings and to add wheels to some of the heavier gear. Not too heavy lifting, but heavy awkward for moving around once in the TC.

• 3 months later...

Second time using the new LWB TC to haul my PA gear. Great fit. Lifted everything in and out, then used my wheeled cart on the ground. Not using my aluminum ramp for just the one cart. With two large sliding side doors and the rear barn doors, this is the easiest loading vehicle I have owned.

• 3 years later...

Hauling my 'music stuff' was the entire reason I bought a 2017 LWB. I traded a full size E150 because it was getting to be too much for me to drive around as a personal vehicle. Love this van! Full drum kit, full percussion rig (congas, bongos, chimes, etc.) smallish PA system AND my bass player and his amp. We were a bit cramped but it all fit in nicely! Still using it to haul my drums and/or percussion gear around. Easy to drive, easy to park and, has been mentioned in an earlier post, the sliding side doors and extended open rear barn doors make loading and unloading pretty easy.

Definitely Recommended! 

Edited by DrummerDan
Spelling and grammar.