Ford Transit Connect Forum

Overhead aircraft style storage with doors

Dulce de Leche

Who has a TC with the mid-vehicle overhead storage compartment that looks like the carry-on luggage compartments on airplanes? Not the open shelf above the dash, but the one that is further back. The TC I'm getting has this, and I wondered about the pros and cons of having this. As a typically messy-car person, I'm hoping it helps to keep some things tucked away, hence less mess.

I like the aircraft style storage bins; they are great for storing some of the things that I like to have in my car, but rarely need access to, such as first-aid kit, emergency kit and supplies, flashlight, some small basic tools, etc. They are always there, never in the way, neatly put away. And for $100, I think it is a reasonable option for storage that is unobtrusive. That being said, I never carry passengers who might want to use the bins for themselves.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a picture. 

My manual has a number next to the image. Possibly a part number?

E188482

My kids love them and I do too. Not large but perfect for their iPad, jacket, tissue box, first aid kit, chargers and headsets, etc.  We like them enough that we are searching for a second set to see if we could put it above the third row/just behind the second. 

IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ford sure seems to keep info hidden well about this storage area. Did those of you that have this part have it installed at the dealer when you purchased the TC? Or, or it as an accessory with a new car purchase? When the doors to the storage bin are open,  what are the dimensions of the openings? Did anyone install lights inside?

Edited by Brad

• 2 weeks later...

First post. The thread mentioned here doesn't actually list the part number, can someone confirm this is correct? Has anyone installed this? Does the headliner have to come out?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-rear-console-dt1z17519a70ab

DT1Z-17519A70-AB

• 9 months later...
On 8/25/2017 at 11:46 AM, Wendy Roach Manning said:

Here is a picture. 

My manual has a number next to the image. Possibly a part number?

E188482

My kids love them and I do too. Not large but perfect for their iPad, jacket, tissue box, first aid kit, chargers and headsets, etc.  We like them enough that we are searching for a second set to see if we could put it above the third row/just behind the second. 

Thanks so much for the photos! Can you take a measurement for me? I need enough "floor" to ceiling clearance for a very large dog crate, and if these impede the interior height too much, I won't be able to use them after all. So - the measurement I need is with the back seats folded DOWN - how many inches between the seat-back floor and the underside of the bins? Thanks!!

On 5/8/2019 at 12:36 AM, RSted said:

No, that doesn't look like the right part. Needs doors that open like airplane storage units above the airplane seats. Here is the part: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/body-hardware/console-assy-overhead-7851789-1 

Edited by Dulce de Leche

On 3/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, Dulce de Leche said:

No, that doesn't look like the right part. Needs doors that open like airplane storage units above the airplane seats. Here is the part: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/body-hardware/console-assy-overhead-7851789-1 

Look at those part numbers, again - DT1Z-17519A70-AB (w/o fixed roof glass) vs 17519A70 from your second link. It's the same console - the original link you quoted shows a pic of the "front" of the console, meaning towards the front of the vehicle and thus it is the side that goes against the headliner, not the "back" of the console where the doors are. These are also not sold as a "kit" from Ford, so you'll need to make sure that you're ordering all of the relevant parts & pieces. For your info, the front console (the open shelf) is part number DT1Z-61117A72-BB (no roof glass) or DT1Z-61117A72-AB (w/ fixed roof glass) - all from that Tasco Ford link that you quoted.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, Tully Kieys said:

Hi - that’s from Tasca Ford https://www.tascaparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=Overhead

An 8 in LED light was hard wired inside . The sun visors we added to use as a shelf inside. They are very flexible and the set on the side double block the windows from being seen in . They came out of ‘16 & ‘17 TC $150 for all 4 of them. Also snagged a front consoles from a 

‘17 TC. Not sure how and where to mount it or maybe cut it up and use part of it . 

11DA5217-D441-4DF2-93ED-BDFEF5BEAC80.jpeg

2B17F10F-73EE-492D-BD9B-FAC4C0872C83.jpeg

031AB587-5070-4433-AE82-05BA01D14F39.jpeg

F0F6634D-CAB2-49DE-BE91-292CAA44D830.jpeg

Screenshot_2020-03-09-12-10-15.png