Ford Transit Connect Forum

Speaker wires, Ford transit connect 2014

Hayden

Hi all, Im hoping to find out which wires in the back of the factory head unit are for the front right and left door speakers in my transit connect 2014 Base model?

I'm also going to be wiring in an amp but I'm not sure which wire I connect to for the remote so it only powers on when the head unit is turned on. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's not a simple matter to hardwire in an aftermarket stereo these days  -  Modern cars aren't like the ones we're used to from even just a few years ago

Now everything is run off the Can-Bus  -  Computer signals turn things on and off and not a hot wire from the key switch like in the good old days.  Perhaps you've noticed that when you shut off your TC and remove the key from the ignition the radio stays on until you open a door?  The Can-Bus turns it off  -  It turns it on too . . . . there isn't a switched accessory wire behind the dash that turns on the radio (or anything else) like there used to be  -  Lights kinda sorta work like they used to, but they are very sensitive to the amount of current the bulbs draw.  You cannot just tap into your tail light wires to use for trailer tail lights like the good old days  -  You've gotta have a mini 'computer box' to run trailer lights too

The 'Simple Way' to install an aftermarket radio is to buy a wiring harness adapter made for your specific model TC.  It takes the Can-Bus signals and converts them to signals your aftermarket radio can use . . . . it even has a wire like you're looking for to turn on a separate amplifier, something you won't find anywhere in the car's harness

You can buy the factory wiring diagram book like I did and try giving it a go, but you will quickly get frustrated  -  Been there, done that!.  The book is several hundred pages long and it shows every pin of every connector in the car  -  Labeled with the computer signals many of them carry

Don

Edited by Beta Don

You can cut all the speaker wires at the head unit, go to an amp, then back to the original wiring. Power the amp with separate power from the fuse block in the back if you only need 20 or 30 amps. Turn it on from an ACC circuit in the same fuse block. See my post on connecting directly to this fuse block (AJB). Or buy an amp that senses the speaker signals and turns on.

It gets complicated if you buy separates with external crossovers. You have to run new wire to the tweeters. If you can't find the previous post I can post the speaker wiring diagram. Let me know.

The stock speakers are crap and must be replaced if you want more sound. I found just replacing the speakers made a huge difference.

I am waiting for a new amp with built in digital signal processing I preordered months ago.  I ran the last wire today (amp power). I'll post the cool way I found to connect to the battery.

I bought upper-level speakers based on size (fitment) and price (not too cheap).  Premium speakers are $400 a pair and there is a big drop in price to the next level at <$180 per pair.

The front speakers are component type (separate tweeter): JL Audio C2650, $160 approx

The rear speakers are 2-way: Alpine SPR-60, $110 approx

Both are 6 1/2" size.

Here is my post. Any speaker is better than stock. The head unit (for 4 speaker systems) is made by Sony and can output about 20W/channel max. so you will get 15 W of good sound.  Don't buy high power speakers that need more power to drive them.

It really depends on your current factory radio.

Does your vehicle have the CD player? If it does, then there are 4 speaker outputs. If you have just the AM / FM radio like I did, it only has 2 channels.

Anyway I have included a picture of an aftermarket harness that has the speaker channels labeled. The 4 channels are in the white / gray / green / purple pairs. The negative is towards the top near the mating release tab.

IMG_0234.JPG

White/White with black= left front
Gray/Gray with black stripe= right front
Green/Green with black stripe= left rear
Purple/Purple with black strips= right rear

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2017 at 2:22 PM, Hayden said:

Hi all, Im hoping to find out which wires in the back of the factory head unit are for the front right and left door speakers in my transit connect 2014 Base model?

I'm also going to be wiring in an amp but I'm not sure which wire I connect to for the remote so it only powers on when the head unit is turned on. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't even bother with trying to upgrade a factory base level trim radio with an amp & speakers.  Buy a nice stereo.  Buy an installation kit.  You will get a new dash trim piece, and all of the necessary wiring harness connectors so that it becomes a "plug & play" installation.  

Scosche FD6211DDB Dash Kit

Fits select 2014-up Ford Transit Connect models without 4.3" screen and with removable factory airbag indicator light — double-DIN radios (Black)

g142FD6211B-F.jpg

g120705524-F.jpgg12040EU10-F.jpg

0000190058.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2017 at 4:01 AM, kdkool said:

Does your vehicle have the CD player? If it does, then there are 4 speaker outputs. If you have just the AM / FM radio like I did, it only has 2 channels.

Anyway I have included a picture of an aftermarket harness that has the speaker channels labeled. The 4 channels are in the white / gray / green / purple pairs. The negative is towards the top near the mating release tab.

I have the 2-speaker AM/FM/USB/BT radio and the harness does not even have rear speaker cables in the plug. The colors are also different, locations match:

91192499_10222761652812458_8841735287475

• 3 months later...

On 4/7/2017 at 9:01 PM, kdkool said:

IMG_0234.JPG

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction. I have the most basic of TC radios (AM/FM/Aux) there are no steering wheel controls or navigation. I want to plug in my aftermarket radio to the single radio plug I was provided. I got the Axxess 5524 NAV cable but discovered, for some weird reason, that not all the wires are plugged into the main harness... They run in between some other black piece and then tie back into the aftermarket radio bundle. Am I supposed to plug that black piece in to get the radio to function? I see the red wire is marked for accessory but if that isn't tied into the main plug bundle, how does it get power?

To simplify me questions: Do you have a place I could buy the same harness you have pictured? Would it be possible to pin the wires to the main connector plug and bring full function to the aftermarket radio?

I've included some photos of both the stock wiring plugs and the aftermarket converter.

Axxess 5534 wiring harness.jpg

transit connect axxess harness 3.jpg

transit connect stock harness.jpg

transit connect stock radio with harness.jpg

transit connect stock wiring harnesses to radio.jpg

Edited by TC2014
Needed to add more photos