Ford Transit Connect Forum

Installing the OEM Myford Touch Sync2 system

kdkool

All right boys and girls, Just wanted to start a thread about my venture into installing the OEM SYNC 2 navigation system into my 15 XL LWB cargo van....

This is what I started with...

IMG_0047.JPG

With a dremel and some bent pieces of metal....

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

and this is where I am as of right now...

IMG_0072.JPG

Next on.... Wiring!

To be continued....

Edited by kdkool
tyop

All right, I just finished soldering the harness together with the GPSM module, SD Card Hub, and the front panel connector. All that's left to do is tie 12V / GND / and 3 canbus interfaces to the car to get it powered on. Not yet arrived is the backup camera and the Mic. :-(

IMG_0080.JPG

Edited by kdkool

6 hours ago, chong said:

Did your van already ship with SYNC?

No... Just the basic AM / FM radio. The only "option" my vehicle came with was the rear glass and cruise control.

Goal for this project is fully functional Navigation / Bluetooth Audio / Bluetooth Phone / Backup Camera

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/26/2017 at 9:31 AM, chong said:

Are you following someone else's write up on how this work or are you blazing this path yourself?

I'm most curious to see how the stock radio is configured in your van.

No I'm not following any one else's write up. I ordered an electrical diagram book and reverse engineered the wiring diagrams to make a custom harness.

The stock radio in my van has AM and FM radio with 2 front door speakers. No canbus signals. Switched ignition 12V powers the radio on and off. That's about it.... Are you looking for any other details?

Quick update.... finally got some decent weather to work on this over the weekend.

System powers on and plays for audio for a few seconds. Sadly, it powers down with a battery savings message. I can power it back and it repeats itself. I'm not really sure if I'm missing anything obvious. I checked all my connections 3 times but I haven't found anything. I powered the APIM and the GPSM off fuse F67 just like the OEM system. The ACM and the front buttons are powered off F79 also like the OEM diagram. I found a strange discrepency in the wiring diagram and the actual wire color connected to my mechless ACM with regards to pins 3 and 5. Kind of odd but I tried matching up to how the SYNC 2 system is defined. Haven't found anything else more obvious yet.

Next step is to see if the BCM or IPC needs any coding to enable anything. Possible things I can think of is needing delayed accessory power enabled or if I need to enable the canbus on the IPC (pins were not populated on the IPC harness). If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

All right good news! Used forscan to enable the BCM to allow for for a CD player / Touchscreen and it all works now. Doing so also enabled delayed accessory power so all things stay powered on until the door opens.

*Happy Dance*

Only thing left now is to install the mic, backup camera, and install the SD slot. One weird thing so far is that 911 emergency doesn't work. I'm sure it's another setting of some sort... For another day!

I got the backup camera in mail today.

IMG_0212.JPG

Just got it mounted. Looks really good for an aftermarket camera. Just gotta wait for some more pins to come in so I can populate the APIM harness. Going to run the camera off the reverse signal coming off the GPSM module.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

Edited by kdkool

On 4/4/2017 at 11:04 PM, kdkool said:

One weird thing so far is that 911 emergency doesn't work.

I may be tipping my hand a bit here, but your APIM came from a car with a different CAN architecture. That's why 911 Assist doesn't work.

How are you wiring up the camera? If you aren't currently seeing a camera fault when you go into reverse, you may expect some difficulties when you get the camera hooked up.

Edited by chong

8 hours ago, chong said:

I may be tipping my hand a bit here, but your APIM came from a car with a different CAN architecture. That's why 911 Assist doesn't work.

How are you wiring up the camera? If you aren't currently seeing a camera fault when you go into reverse, you may expect some difficulties when you get the camera hooked up.

Backup camera works great. Backup camera goes directly into the APIM harness at pins 14 and 15. I just clipped the backup camera's RCA jack off and terminated it with the mating pins for the APIM connector. I then went in with forscan to change the value of A128 to a A328 at 7D0-01-01 to activate the backup camera.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tipping your hand" but the canbus infrastructure should be the same if the vehicle model could be factory optioned with the SYNC2 / SYNC3 systems. The 3 canbus interfaces are of the same speeds between all the ford vehicles I've studied. Sure, there may be different modules that may be missing or present dependent on options. I guess worst case scenario, I could sniff the canbus packets on another vehicleand resequence them to fake the 911 assist problem or figure out how to deactivate it within the APIM. I haven't had the time to do it yet but I believe reprogramming the restraint module should clear my 911 assist issue. Will confirm in a few days when I get back to the vehicle.

Edited by kdkool

• 1 year later...

Hi Mr. Kool, I am so impress with your project as you have made this thing to work with TC you have.

I just bought 2014 TC wagon too with exact radio but dame with CD. So I went with the after market head Kenwood with Apple carplay. it work well, however b/c of slanted kit. the glare is making this unless. So I want to go your route and wondering if you could tell share you project in a bit more detail. especially with the wiring. 

Questions':

1- Where do I get the wiring diagram for this?

2- Did you bought everything at one place or got them from multi locations.

3- Did you had to replace the TOP cover with a deferent one to match the front bezel? they look a bit deffernt.

4- Is there a way to just get the front bezel and still use the aftermarket head so that the unit facing the back rather in an angle. 

And lastly, what version of the Sync you have and if you are able to get Carplay.I really appreciate your input on this and thank you in advance.

PS. This is smiler to my install but with a Kenwood head.

Ben

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 5.21.04 PM.png

• 6 months later...

1- Where do I get the wiring diagram for this?

I bought a service manual booklet for it on ebay. 

2- Did you bought everything at one place or got them from multi locations.

I used ebay to piece together all the parts

3- Did you had to replace the TOP cover with a deferent one to match the front bezel? they look a bit deffernt.

No i just used my original one. It looks a little different but it doesn't bother me

4- Is there a way to just get the front bezel and still use the aftermarket head so that the unit facing the back rather in an angle. 

No, you wouldn't be able to mount a double din unit where the OEM screen is situated.

And lastly, what version of the Sync you have and if you are able to get Carplay.I really appreciate your input on this and thank you in advance.

I'm just doing a SYNC 2 system but I could pretty easily swap in a sync 3 module for carplay. I don't really care for carplay as I'm lazy about plugging in devices.

Wow can't believe it's been so long that I've been here. Just to give you guys an update, I finally got around to fixing the 911 assist nag about it not working. 

You have to program the RCM unit to enable 911 emergency assist. 

for my cargo van,

I had to change the following in Forscan.

737-02-01 YXXX XXXX XXXX

change Y from 4 to C.

I can also share my APIM's as built if anyone else ever needs to get this going.

Very well done.  I applaud your success.  And thanks for returning to the forum to share your update.  Sharing your efforts, and making it easier for the next guy, is what car forums are all about.  Now on to hijacking threads, personal opinions, and everything which is not politically correct!

Indeed forums need contribution. I have way too many projects and my transit connect rarely gets action hence the gap in updates. It only has 3k miles on the clock since I purchased it new. 

Been busy figuring out a LS3 into a BMW wagon and studying a hybrid transmission to build pure EV which lead me down the path of building a solar array system with lead acid batteries and lithium cells. All of this will soon come a screeching halt now that I've taken on building a software startup business. ADHD full fledged.

• 10 months later...