Ford Transit Connect Forum

Possible first time owner

Kage_

Hello everyone,

My company is looking into the Transit Connect as our replacement company vehicle. Our current vehicle is a Ford Explorer. I've been doing some research on these and I have a couple of outstanding questions that I haven't been able to answer that I hope some here can fill in.

First, how is the off road capabilities of the Connect? While off road doesn't comprise a large part of my work there are times when I am off road on dirt roads that run from good to piss poor shape.

Second, How is the fit for a larger guy? I'm 6' 3", 225lbs, so I'm not small. From a few of the reviews I've read they both mentioned that the drivers seat can be a bit on the small side.

Lastly, how is the comfort for longer trips of 2 - 4 hours?

Thanks for helping me fill in the gaps with the Transit Connect.

Kage_

It will be better offroad than a 2wd Explorer. Ground clearance of the Explorer might be better. 2-4 hour trips are no problem. The Explorer would be a quieter vehicle as far as interior noise at freeway speeds. I am 6'2" and 300lbs. I have had no issues with seat comfort for the last 48k miles I have put on my '10 Transit. Been a great vehicle. Other than normal service replacement stuff like tires and brakes at 45k I have only had to replaced 1 burned out turn signal bulb! 22-23mpg consistently on mostly mountain freeway driving.

I am six foot three and find the driver's position to be quite roomy.

Head room is not going to be an issue even for NBA players. There is also plenty of elbow room, and pretty good leg room. (There is a left footrest on the floor which is designed for smaller people and gets in my way a little. Its not all that bad,since there is no clutch pedal, but it would be better without it.)

The seating is upright, which I like, but I know others would prefer to lie out at a flatter, more car-like, angle. Thats an individual thing.

There is also a nifty lumbar gizmo on the driver's seat which I find very comfortable on long drives. The armrest on the door is hard plastic and needs a little padding in my opinion.

Can't speak to off road capabilities, but there looks to be lots of ground clearance.

Edited by Willie

It will be better offroad than a 2wd Explorer. Ground clearance of the Explorer might be better. <snip> 22-23mpg consistently on mostly mountain freeway driving.

It'll do better off road than an explorer? I figured with the smaller engine, smaller tires and low ground clearance there would be an issue. How is the performance in the mountains? Again, I figured the 2.0L would be puking it guts out trying to get pull the truck along.

The seating is upright, which I like, but I know others would prefer to lie out at a flatter, more car-like, angle. Thats an individual thing.

There is also a nifty lumbar gizmo on the driver's seat which I find very comfortable on long drives. The armrest on the door is hard plastic and needs a little padding in my opinion.

Does the seat back push back at all?

Thanks for the help...

It'll do better off road than an explorer? I figured with the smaller engine, smaller tires and low ground clearance there would be an issue. How is the performance in the mountains? Again, I figured the 2.0L would be puking it guts out trying to get pull the truck along.

Thanks for the help...

I don't go off-road but I do have to go on "country" roads (meaning very poorly-maintained asphalt, dirt, gravel, etc) and also in tight hilly and semi-mountainous roads. I would honestly say the Transit Connect has a bit of trouble. The FWD does not help, in my experience. With most of the weight of the loaded van being over the back wheels, the fronts have an annoying tendency to want to break free. The van has difficulty maintaining traction on steep driveways, for example. It does have low ground clearance, and yes, the 2.0 really struggles to keep you moving, especially if you are loaded down with gear. The ride is firm on rough road. This is all just my own experience and opinion, but the van to me seems more suited for city use.

The seat back is adjustable. If your company is going to equip the TC with a bulkhead or cage that is what will kill your ability to get comfortable. I'm 5'9" and 180 lbs and find the van gets uncomfortable after more than about an hour... but my company put a cage right behind the seats and I can't quite push the seat far enough back or recline enough.

I have the cheap, non-electric seat. It has lots of adjustment in several directions, including tilt of the back. On a long trip I like to move it around to afford a bit of a change. I can't speak to the adjust-ability of the electric seat.

Incidentally, the steering wheel also adjusts both in and out and up and down.

I have had mine for a little over a year with 39650 miles on it, so far it has done good, have taken in on 4 1500 mile trips with no problems, it does make me tired to drive it for long periods (sore from the seat) i am a very heavy person and the front seat has broken twice due to the plastic pieces on it, over all it is a good vehicle, but not good for off road etc

• 6 years later...
7 hours ago, BSUPC said:

The two spam bots have been removed.  :)    Anytime you see these things popup in a thread or any where on the forum, please use the report feature and it will be dealt with.

I catch at least 10 per year on the backside.  Sometimes they get past me though.

Good catch :skateboard: