Ford Transit Connect Forum

2005 transit connect won't crank?

4 minutes ago, mrtn said:

Start with the obvious connection issues.

Ok will do :) 

as said the grounds in the bay are awful. I did see a you tube vid on a focus that had a bad ground in the bay and once cleaned it was fine. Symptoms are identical to mine so fingers crossed 

I've also been advised to disconnect one sensor at a time and see if I get my mileage back or the engine cranks. Will try this too carefully. Would rule out a rouge sensor causing the PCM to shut down? 

1 hour ago, G B L said:

When you clean up the Grounds. Check and see if the  scan tool Read Gets info from the Pcm.

You will get to the bottom of this I am sure . It might take 40,000 Euros but you  will not need them soon anyway!

I will do :) 

i really hope hope I get to the bottom of it, it's been a great van. Ha ha yes euros could soon be obselete! 

UPDATE ! 

I thought it would be good to post the latest for all

interested parties. Been trying to juggle looking at the van around work hence the slow update. I re installed the PCM this morning. I then cleaned up several grounds that were awful. Confident this was my issue I put it all back together, turned the key and ..... 

NOTHING!! :( 

So I tried each sensor by unplugging individually but again no joy. So next I decided to have a proper look inside and underneath the engine fuse box. I noticed one of the cables by the moulded plug had a green powder on it. Knowing copper turns green when it oxidises gave me new hope. On closer inspection the cable was split and it was just the insulation holding it there. I traced the cable back to the fuse board (it was black and orange) and would you believe it was for the power up relay (R8) . Unfortunately the cable broke right at the moulded plug. So I cut back the loom slightly and crimped a plug in to the cable. I then ran a new cable from there in to the fuseboard and cut the black and orange cable from the relay. I then crimped in a plug there and connected. So effectively I've by passed the moulded plug and made my own . 

Put it all back together and it's started! Hopefully this thread will prove useful in the future for others. 

Many thanks for all the help from everyone who posted . 

Edited by Mita
Can't spell

• 1 year later...

Mita i have got the same problem and symptoms as you had on yr connect , do i go under the fuse box under the bonnet to the r8 relay or in side ? I wonder  if you can help me plz or if e is anyone who can , no crank wot so ever and  is just -------

• 11 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 3:09 PM, Mita said:

UPDATE ! 

I thought it would be good to post the latest for all

interested parties. Been trying to juggle looking at the van around work hence the slow update. I re installed the PCM this morning. I then cleaned up several grounds that were awful. Confident this was my issue I put it all back together, turned the key and ..... 

NOTHING!! ?

So I tried each sensor by unplugging individually but again no joy. So next I decided to have a proper look inside and underneath the engine fuse box. I noticed one of the cables by the moulded plug had a green powder on it. Knowing copper turns green when it oxidises gave me new hope. On closer inspection the cable was split and it was just the insulation holding it there. I traced the cable back to the fuse board (it was black and orange) and would you believe it was for the power up relay (R8) . Unfortunately the cable broke right at the moulded plug. So I cut back the loom slightly and crimped a plug in to the cable. I then ran a new cable from there in to the fuseboard and cut the black and orange cable from the relay. I then crimped in a plug there and connected. So effectively I've by passed the moulded plug and made my own . 

Put it all back together and it's started! Hopefully this thread will prove useful in the future for others. 

Many thanks for all the help from everyone who posted . 

wow i cannot thank you enough for this post!!

van been dead for about 6 years with this problem, now sorted thanks to you!!

thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou !!!!!