Ford Transit Connect Forum

Rough Ride

Bigfoot

Agreed  -  16" wheels/tires with 55 series sidewalls @ 42 psi doesn't seem overly firm to me.  Keep in mind many Titanium passenger wagons came with 17" wheels and 50 series tires, so your van is already riding 'softer' than many premium models

Don

The ride is certainly firm on these vans - much firmer than on any of the string of small and mid-size pickups I have owned over the last 30 years. "Luxury" is the last quality that comes to mind when I'm riding in mine, and the utilitarian nature of the beast is always apparent. They are built as work vehicles and it shows. If it's any consolation, the ride quality of the wagon models is not any softer.

Driving one of these things is very different from anything I've owned, including a full-sized ford window van in the 1970's. But you do get used to it, and I must admit I kind of like the firm ride and precise steering. I'm also used to the magnificent view and feel closed in in other vehicles now. There's a bizarre kind of satisfaction about owning and driving this van - but "plush" it ain't!

• 2 years later...
On 2/22/2017 at 11:19 AM, Bigfoot said:

Hey,

I am new to this forum..Can anyone advise me on possibly making for a smoother ride in my 2014 TC. I am sure this has come up before. I am converting to a camper and would love to soften the very hard ride.

Thanks Bigfoot

Yes Bigfoot I have the 14 TC XLT and its a hemoroid buster way to stiff I agree. I'm wondering if there might be some aftermarket softer shocks/struts or something. Even though I love the unique look of the 14 and up TC inside and out I might have bought something else had I thoroughly driven the TC first and noticed that suspension... 

Series one cargo van conversion here, and I gotta say, I've always been impressed with the ride and handling. Yes, it's firm, but I certainly wouldn't call it rough. Then again, we're talking some pretty major differences from the earlier models, so hey, forget I mentioned it. <G>

The previous owner may have fitted your van with stiffer suspension or air shock. I have a wagon and like most people think it rides great! Since yours is a cargo it might have been always carrying a heavy load like equipment instead of cargo so was fitted with stiffer suspension to level it back out or prevent it from bottoming out. Something to look into.

James

A loaded cargo van rides much smoother than an empty one. The end game is what you should be looking at, that is how much of a load do you intend to carry instead of when it is empty. Sidewall height on the tires also will affect the ride and once again anticipated load factors into choice of tires and tire size.

Compared to other cargo vans I have driven the TC rides like a Cadillac to me. 

I have a 16 Titanium and the ride is firm but not bad.  I have the 17" alloy wheels.  Shock absorbers can also make a difference.  In the past when I have changed struts and shocks the most noticeable difference was in how smooth the new shocks were.  Less resistance over small bumps but more and better resistance over the bigger stuff.  The normal inflation pressure on the tires is pretty high but that is due to the load rating.  I would expect if you are empty or lightly loaded the pressure could be dropped a little bit.  I like men the way it is as it handles very nicely and will out corner my Volt.  My daughter has a Honda van and it rides and drives better until it comes to the curves.  Then the TC is much better.  IMO it has a very European feel, very firm but not harsh.  

Couple of days ago I saw a pickup driving fast and aggressively on the interstate.  Amazing the amount of suspension movement it had - not in a good way.  At one point they swerved from the right land across two lanes, they had a bit of difficulty controlling the truck.  Wondered if it was really bad shocks or an off road setup.  80+ in a 60 when everyone else was doing 65-70 (MPH).  

12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I have a 16 Titanium and the ride is firm but not bad.  I have the 17" alloy wheels.  Shock absorbers can also make a difference.  In the past when I have changed struts and shocks the most noticeable difference was in how smooth the new shocks were.  Less resistance over small bumps but more and better resistance over the bigger stuff.  The normal inflation pressure on the tires is pretty high but that is due to the load rating.  I would expect if you are empty or lightly loaded the pressure could be dropped a little bit.  I like men the way it is as it handles very nicely and will out corner my Volt.  My daughter has a Honda van and it rides and drives better until it comes to the curves.  Then the TC is much better.  IMO it has a very European feel, very firm but not harsh.  

Couple of days ago I saw a pickup driving fast and aggressively on the interstate.  Amazing the amount of suspension movement it had - not in a good way.  At one point they swerved from the right land across two lanes, they had a bit of difficulty controlling the truck.  Wondered if it was really bad shocks or an off road setup.  80+ in a 60 when everyone else was doing 65-70 (MPH).  

What shock absorbers are you using?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding - using stock shocks.  Van has 20,000 miles on it.  It is the wagon not sure if your is wagon or van.  I think the wagon has more weight inside from seats and other interior stuff.  If you have the van you might want to try putting 200 th 300 pounds of weight inside to see if that helps the ride.  You will probably add that much if not more when converting to camper.  Originally intended to go camping with my van but haven't so far.  Instead I take my motorcycle.  A couple of pics of it as I was leaving Minot ND in September.  52F and raining!  Rode all day in that stuff - wishing for a bit more winter gear, 3 days before it was 97F in Montana.  

IMG_0455med.jpg

IMG_0456med.jpg

8 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

wishing for a bit more winter gear

I have a set of Frogg Toggs which I could wear over my leather. 

Military makes pretty good fleece base layers for cold weather, which you can buy at surplus stores. 

Eddie Bauer has a down filled, pullover,  hoodie which I wear with a wool Pendleton, under the leather. 

A few times, I have worn a military N-3B snorkel parka over the leather.

I like insulated and flannel lined pants. 

A lot of good options in store and online. 

Leather chaps are extremely effective. 

Screenshot_20200121-200917_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-200802_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-200454_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-202928_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-201139_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-202014_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-201804_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-202125_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200121-201242_Chrome.jpg

• 7 months later...

if you are converting to a camper you'll be adding many hundreds of pounds in equipment and travel gear.

Trust that you'll have a much cushier ride when you're ready to hit the road.  ?

Hint:  Install Timbrens   

Edited by MLB