Ford Transit Connect Forum

Traction control consequences

Dandytc

Last night, I got stuck in a few inches of snow on a parking lot, due to an aborted start when someone else started behind me, and not having snow tires installed, because the unusual amount of snow here has caused snow tires to become a rare commodity. Anyway, I started rocking my tc back and forth to try and get it out of there, tires spinning and traction control engaging on and off, when all of a sudden, the instrument cluster came alive: most indicator lamps came on, as well as a message on the display. Just then, 2 nice guys who were about to leave, came over and gave me a little push that got me out of the ruts, and I was on my way (Thanks again guys). The thing was, the instrument cluster was still lit up with the brake, traction control, abs, and air bag indicator, there was still a message about hill start assist not being available, and the speedometer didn't work. I drove home like that, as I wasn't completely sure that turning the engine off to try and reset the computer would work, and I didn't want to be stuck there. Once I got home, I turned the engine off, waited a few seconds, and restarted the engine. The only indicator lamp that was still on was the abs. I asked my friend the mechanic about it, and he said to drive the car for 100 or so feet, so that all 4 abs sensors can be detected, and sure enough, that cleared it up.

Now, if this happens to you, you'll know how to fix it, or maybe you are more tech savvy than me, and you knew already.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:17 AM, G B L said:

How does the Traction Control do in mud?

I doubt that it would do much good. As a matter of fact, the manual says that it may be beneficial to turn Traction Control off, when stuck in mud or snow. The big surprise for me was how the computer reacted and needed a reset.